Jessi's Froggy Bloggy

Monday 4/23/07

I have been meaning to start a blog for some time now. Today seems a good day to start this because today is day 1 on the Thrive Diet plan. I chose to start the Thrive diet because my friend and roommate Brooke wanted to try a vegan diet for a trial period with the goal of losing weight. I showed her my new copy of the book I just received and she liked the structure of the meal plan. So to support her goal I am following it with her and I am sure it will benefit me quite a bit as well since my current vegan diet is not very broad or varied.

(I am following Isaacs blog format, his listing method seems to work well)

Food:

10am

1/2 cup cooked quinoa

1/2 cup cooked yam

1/4 cup cooked wild rice

1/8 cup ground flaxseed

1/8 cup ground sesame seeds

2 tbsp agave nectar

5 strawberries

12pm

1/2 clove garlic

1/4 cucumber

2 cups mixed greens

1 1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast

1 1/2 tbsp sesame seeds

1 tbsp pine nuts

1 tomato

1 tbsp apple cider vinegar

1 tbsp hemp oil

1/2 tbsp dry basil

1/2 tbsp agave nectar

1/4 tsp black pepper

3pm

1 banana

4 strawberries

1/2 cup almond milk

2 tbsp ground flaxseed

1 tbsp hemp oil

5pm

orange

banana

8pm

1/2 cup almonds

2 cloves garlic

1/4 cup ground flaxseed

1 tbsp balsalmic vinegar

1 tbsp hemp oil

1 tbsp coconut oil

sea salt

2 cups mixed greens

1 red bell pepper

1/4 cup fresh basil

1 1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast

1 1/2 tbsp sesame seeds

10:30pm

dates

brazil nuts

carob powder

(raw fudge)

11pm

3 dates

Edited by Jessifly

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tuesday 4/24/07

Food:

10am

1/3 apple

1/3 cup oats

5 almonds

1/8 cup ground flaxseed

1/8 cup ground hemp seed

1/8 cup ground sesame seeds

1/8 cup sunflower seeds

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/8 tsp ground stevia leaf

2 tbsp hemp oil

2 tbsp molasses

1/2 cup hemp milk

(this cereal was really heavy... I felt nauseated after this meal and didn't have an appetite again til evening.. I guess I'm not used to eating that many seeds, nuts and oils. Yesterday was a lot too, I will probably have to cut back on those heavier recipes) After the cereal, the rest of the day was not on the thrive meal plan..

1pm

1 cup diluted orange juice

5pm

1 cup tea w/soy milk

8pm

5 strawberries

2 dates

9pm

2 cups mixed greens

6 kalamata olives

1 tbsp pine nuts

2 tbsp apple cider vinegar

1 tbsp agave nectar

1/2 tbsp hemp oil

I've been making the apple cinnamon cereal myself. I had to sweeten it a bit more with some maple syrup... guess I'm not alkaline enough yet! I like that it keeps me fuller a little longer than other commercial cereals I've eaten.

Thursday 4/26/07

Food:

10am

1 banana

1/3 apple

1 date

1/4 cup almonds

1 tbsp ground flax seed

1 tbsp ground hemp seed

1/2 tbsp carob powder

1/2 tbsp grated ginger

1/2 cup hemp milk

1pm

Natures Path Optimum bar

4pm

1/3 cup cooked adzuki beans

1/3 cup cooked quinoa

2 tbsp ground sesame seeds

2 tbsp coconut oil

1/3 cucumber

1/8 cup diced red onion

2 strips dulse

1/3 cup bean sprouts

2 tbsp fresh basil

2 tbsp green onion

1/3 cup sundried tomato

1 roma tomato

1/2 clove garlic

spices & balsamic vinegar

7pm

small handful almonds

apple

10pm

3 1/2 cups mixed greens

1/2 clove garlic

1 tbsp nutritional yeast

1 tbsp ground sesame seeds

2 tbsp pine nuts

1 roma tomato

1 tbsp apple cider vinegar

1 tbsp hemp oil

1 tbsp agave nectar

6 kalamata olives

• 1 month later...

Thrive diet update: I stopped the thrive diet a month ago because my system just couldn't handle all the seeds and nuts that the recipes used. I am slowly adding back very small amounts of almonds and flax seeds but I still have been mostly unable to eat them without severe stomach pains. My roommate did very well on the Thrive Diet and she may continue on it while I am taking a more raw route. She found that the meals gave her lots of energy and she always felt satisifed and didn't crave any meat, dairy or junk food while following the plan. She also said her sense of taste and smell skyrocketed as foods she thought were bland before had so much flavor. The past month I have been eating between 85-95% raw (by quantity, not calorie as I am not counting calories consumed) without nuts/seeds and this has worked incredibly well for me. I feel great!

Edited by Jessifly

She/we didn't stay consistant with the thrive plan, and when I stopped she did as well, but she occasionally makes a recipe from the book and I think she would like to follow it in full herself but lacks the motivation to do it alone. However I did convince her to join my gym and she has lost 9 pounds! So if we keep that up for her and if she can get back on track with Thrive I think the results will be excellent! As far as staying vegan I just don't know. I'm not sure that she feels strongly one way or the other about being vegan, but her experience with Thrive I think showed her that she can feel great eating vegan and not feel a need to eat animal products, but its not the easiest route to take. And easier unfortunately is winning right now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Everyone here is getting this terrible cold! Well, not everyone but just about everyone around me has caught this thing.... starts out with this incredibly bad persistent headache, then sore throat and fever, then cough. Most people I have talked to have had it for a week or more. I felt the headache come on Sunday night and by Monday morning I woke up head throbbing, weak and sore throat. I started juicing and drinking grapefruits every 2-3 hours for no particular reason except that was what I was craving. In between I drank lots of water with acerola cherry extract. By the end of the day all of the symptoms were gone except I was still a little stuffy with a slight headache, I ended the day with vitamineral greens. The next morning I continued the grapefruit juice and by afternoon I was 100% back to feeling normal. I started eating some fruit and some more vitamineral greens and then went on a 5.2 mile hike and felt great! For dinner I had a huge fruit smoothie. Wednesday I switched from juicing to eating the grapefruit plus pineapple and papaya through the day and I had a huge salad for dinner, still feeling great. Thursday I didn't have any grapefruit and I began eating 'regular' meals again (green smoothie for breakfast, salad for lunch, tofu wrap for dinner) and Friday morning I woke up without a voice and progressively felt worse! Now it is Saturday and I am missing my big 12-mile hiking trip because all my symptoms have returned plus a cough Waaaaaa! I guess I need to go get some more grapefruits....

Yeah, i don't know what the deal is. I went for a pretty hard run on wednesday and have had this really bad lung congestion ever since. It sounds terrible but I don't feel sick, just congested. Hope you recover fast! I'll bring you a bunch of get-well vitamin samples from ExpoWest.

Yeah, i don't know what the deal is. I went for a pretty hard run on wednesday and have had this really bad lung congestion ever since. It sounds terrible but I don't feel sick, just congested. Hope you recover fast! I'll bring you a bunch of get-well vitamin samples from ExpoWest.

Thanks, I hope you feel better and don't have this bug!

Samples, awesome! Maybe I can trade you for another ride up to the mountain for some of that magic spray too! hehe

I'll give Dave a big punch for you

Haha! Thanks Tash!

Glad to hear you are feeling better though!

Thanks Jessi. Just make sure to take it easy and that you're getting enough sleep and rest. Take advantage of it, and don't fight it, like I tried to do !

Today I decided to plug in my food to determine how close I came to RDA...

Mainly to get a starting point to determine how to fulfill these percentages from natural sources as much as possible. I felt that I had ate at least a decent variety so it is interesting to see how far below rda I was on some nutrients Not a surprise that vit d and b-12 are low though.

(btw, I also had a slice of vegan pizza today but didn't have the nutritional info.. so that added calories but I'm sure nothing significant in my nutrient deficiencies....)

Man, that is pretty low jfly. Of course, I eat probably 3 times that many calories but I am usually 300+% of nearly every vitamin/mineral.

1400 calories is not much.

I've been feeling pretty crummy lately with this cold so it is possible I haven't been eating as much as I normally would... I'm not sure how it compares to when I feel good since I've never counted caloric intake before! Also the pizza I ate I'm sure added at least another 500 calories.

Occasionally I'll just plug my daily food info in and see how it goes.