Sprouting beans..for cooking, better or worse?

andgbr

Sprouting increases the nutritional value of foods, and soaking and discarding the soak water removes some of the sugars that make beans hard to digest at times. Also, after beans are sprouted, they take less time to cook. I think it's a very good idea. (And many sprout experts advise against eating many bean sprouts as-is, since they are still rather difficult to digest, so cooking them is a good idea).

I find that sprout bags work well for beans (garbanzos at least). Easy to rinse and hang.

Sprouting increases the nutritional value of foods, and soaking and discarding the soak water removes some of the sugars that make beans hard to digest at times. Also, after beans are sprouted, they take less time to cook. I think it's a very good idea. (And many sprout experts advise against eating many bean sprouts as-is, since they are still rather difficult to digest, so cooking them is a good idea).

I find that sprout bags work well for beans (garbanzos at least). Easy to rinse and hang.

I once was soaking black-eyed beans ( in a jar with water ) and i ended up forgetting 'em, for like 3 days.. ( i was really busy at that time.. lol ), all i know is that i could see the little sprout starting to form..

perhaps if i do the same with black beans and let it more days than usual, isn't there a chance to sprout without the bags or anything..?

You can certainly sprout without a bag, but I do hear they work well. Personally, I use glass mason jars with a plastic screen screw on top. They work great. I usually do garbanzos or black eyed-peas (which I'm sprouting as we speak). After they sprout a couple of days, I steam them for 30min-60min, depending on how much I have. They seem to not only taste much better this way (I really can't eat many sprouted beans, the taste just doesn't work), but digest a lot better. No where near as much gas as compared to sprouted and consumed raw.

P.S. Green lentils work great sprouted and steamed as well.

But if you sprout them longer they become softer and easier to digest.

I once was soaking black-eyed beans ( in a jar with water ) and i ended up forgetting 'em, for like 3 days.. ( i was really busy at that time.. lol ), all i know is that i could see the little sprout starting to form..

perhaps if i do the same with black beans and let it more days than usual, isn't there a chance to sprout without the bags or anything..?

Interesting that they didn't start to get skanky. Usually, if you don't rinse beans enough,, or they don't have enough air circulation, bad stuff can start to grow on them. Garbanzos and other large beans can be particularly difficult.

Interesting that they didn't start to get skanky. Usually, if you don't rinse beans enough,, or they don't have enough air circulation, bad stuff can start to grow on them. Garbanzos and other large beans can be particularly difficult.

i've changed the water everyday.. at least i've had that for that.. do you think that helped?