Jack fruit

I have eaten tons of Jackfruit(knowing me that is literal). I've seen some over 100lbs(some have been weighted as heavy as 150lbs). Anyway its abundant in the Philippines and its very cheap. Its also fairly available in Hawaii. Its very very good however it smells pretty bad(not as bad as durian thank goodness). As for canned jackfruit I like it mostly in creamy fruit salads(I make a mix of fruits and throw in a package of silken tofu). Same goes for lychee.

There's a popular drink in the Philippines called Halo-Halo. Its made up of Jackfruit, some nuts, lychee, tapioca(normally a bigger version called sago), this jello like stuff(not actually jello but I don't know what it is...its made form some type of root though), lots of coconut milk, a root like poi called ube(its incredible) and ice. Not like a milk shake but more like an ice cone with a bunch of solid things in it. I love this stuff and I'm looking forward to eating more when I go back since nearly everything they put in it is vegan...also raw sugar is cheaper than refined out there so most use that other than high end bakeries.

oh.. jackfruit... everybody in my family seems to love that stinky fruit.. lol.. they're gigantic.. but i never thought they would weight anything near 100lb.. lol and the funny thing is.. it grows on trees.. lol..

next time i visit brazil i'll make sure i eat a whole jackfruit..

oh.. jackfruit... everybody in my family seems to love that stinky fruit.. lol.. they're gigantic.. but i never thought they would weight anything near 100lb.. lol and the funny thing is.. it grows on trees.. lol..

Wow, I need to get my hands on one and try to do the same. Sounds like quite an adventure in stomach rupturing.

In the Philippines...at least 1 person dies every year due to falling Jackfruit. Its rediculous. I stood near a tree with them and it was a scary thing since the stems do not look like they would even hold a grape(exaggeration but still). As for the norm...most grow 50-80lbs if they aren't picked before hand. Most you find in the markets are only 30 puny pounds

In the Philippines...at least 1 person dies every year due to falling Jackfruit. Its rediculous. I stood near a tree with them and it was a scary thing since the stems do not look like they would even hold a grape(exaggeration but still). As for the norm...most grow 50-80lbs if they aren't picked before hand. Most you find in the markets are only 30 puny pounds

the trees can grow really big as well.. so big that it gets difficult to pick the jackfruit..

i remember the last time a saw a jackfruit tree, that there was a few jfruits in the ground around the tree... but i didn't like jackfruits at that time.. i wasn't even vegan..

next time i see one i'm going to eat, eat, eat, and eat... and eat a little more..

I'd really love to live somewhere with Jackfruit again. One whole one would last you so long and I could imagine it would be easy to get creative with it if you have so much of it.

Anyone had fresh jackfruit? I've only eaten canned which I found in an Asian store and it was awesome. That and lychee are the only canned fruits I eat (I have found fresh lychee in some stores though).

Ohh, THEM ugly mofos? Thanks for that link, or I'd still be as dumb as I was only a minute ago. I've seen that fruit in my "local"* asian store but it has a funny smell so I've never dared to try it. Didn't know what to do with it anyways. What do you do with it? Peel it? I mean, it SMELLS!!

* local means in Malmö, 60 kilometers away lol

Anyone had fresh jackfruit? I've only eaten canned which I found in an Asian store and it was awesome. That and lychee are the only canned fruits I eat (I have found fresh lychee in some stores though).

Ohh, THEM ugly mofos? Thanks for that link, or I'd still be as dumb as I was only a minute ago. I've seen that fruit in my "local"* asian store but it has a funny smell so I've never dared to try it. Didn't know what to do with it anyways. What do you do with it? Peel it? I mean, it SMELLS!!

I've seen Durian here in Gothenburg but I don't think I've seen jackfruit. They have it canned (and I think they have it frozen) in some asian trading stores here in Gothenburg.

I've seen Durian here in Gothenburg but I don't think I've seen jackfruit. They have it canned (and I think they have it frozen) in some asian trading stores here in Gothenburg.

Eww... Dunno if I'd be able to eat a durian. I have a hard time eating thigns that smells bad. Back in the days when I ate cheese - I could never have them smelly ones like "svarta sara (eler var det svarta döden?)". I didn't care how well they said it tasted. It smelled like old feet - and beyond. But if you find one, and eat it - let me know about the smell

Never ever eat DURIAN...if you want to know what it tastes like let an onion spoil and get slimy then pour a cup of sugar on it.

As for Jackfruit...if your lucky and have a large Asian grocer near you they may have it...or you can ask them when they might have it.

Never ever eat DURIAN...if you want to know what it tastes like let an onion spoil and get slimy then pour a cup of sugar on it.

As for Jackfruit...if your lucky and have a large Asian grocer near you they may have it...or you can ask them when they might have it.

lol.. doesn't sound good..

Actually its worse than that but I don't want to scare people off too much...I figure a sugar coated/spoiled onion may still appeal to a few people.