Bike Bum-a-lum pains. What do you do?

When my Bum-a-lum begins to hurt I just lift it up when it's safe and give it a little wiggle. That usually allows me to go pain free for at least 10 more minutes until I need to give it a second wiggle.

Eventually though I want to get a custom seat made out of a material similar to the Temper Pedic bed.

What do you do?

I've found that having good bike shorts (6+ panels) and a good seat (designed for long distance touring) along with lots of riding helps alleviate that. I can ride for up to about 3-4 hours before I have to stop. And in those instances, I stop for a 10 min stretch to give my legs a chance to recover a little bit and stretch my back muscles as well (it's not just about lower body).

Soft saddles are terrible for you. You need good cycling shorts....and you need a firm saddle that fits well. If you look at who rides the most(road cyclists) they have very small...lightly padded saddles.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with what everyone else has said, Tasha and Potter clock up more miles than anyone...

Just one another thing, Make sure you get a Mens seat and not a universal or womens one.

Men have different shaped pelvises (The whole not giving birth thing), so a narrower seat is best.

Sore Bums and chaffing are not fun, so it's worth getting the right seat