what sort of training for a ride?

i was meaning to do this last summer, but sadly laziness and lack of motivation kind of ruined it, so i will attempt my ride this year. basically i want to get on my bike and just ride into the middle of nowhere for a weekend or so, bring my photo gear, and just explore places. i don't want to die out there, so how kind of training, and for how long, should i get some prep work done? if i did a few days a week for starters, you think i could make it out there this summer/fall?

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean, you want to do a proper training, before going for an expedition on your bike. I don't think you have to train like for a race; just prepare mentally, have the adequate equipment (sleeping bag, food, water, maps, etc). But if you do want a physical training : spinning ! Some 30 minutes intense spinning sessions alternate with some 2-3 hours or more endurance sessions and you'll be ready.

I recommend doing plenty of LONG rides before a trip like this.

I cycled from Lands End to John O Groats in 2003, 1600km in 16 days.

I thought I was ready for the trip as was cycling everywhere and was fit.

I really wasn't, I found some sections really hard going and as a result

didn't get to enjoy the scenery as much as I would have liked.

Sure 100kms a day doesn't seem like much, but try doing that after a few days or a week of riding.