We all know...

dpremo

that it's okay to snack. It's healthy and helps keep your body from going into "starvation mode". But is it okay not to snack? I mean it's easier for me because it helps me set limits to eat three meals a day. Otherwise it's hard for me to control myself. And the meals taste so much better, I value them so much more. I think three meals a day spread out evenly is enough to keep my metabolism high but I would like some insight. If you could point me towards some articles or share some information with me that would be great!

Thanks,

Dylan

I can't point to any articles/studies that will tell you to only eat three meals. But I think a lot of the articles/magazines would run out of things to say if they didn't stress some pretty small things. I think eating 6 meals a day is good but it's a pretty small thing. I don't worry about it. I think it reduces quality of life to eat 6 times a day. I really don't think it's going to make or break your goals.

I always suggest people eat every 3 hours to stay in a positive nitrogen balance and be constantly nourishing the body. I personally don't like that feeling of being hungry, so I try to get food in every 2-3 hours. I think it is a great way to pack away quite a few calories as well. At the same time, it seems to speed up metabolism, your body's ability to burn fat. I eat a lot, but I eat frequently, and I stay in great shape with lots of energy all year round.

Snacking is just fine, I do a lot of it. As long as the snacks are healthy. I snack on fruits the most by far, then probably nuts or protein/energy bars, then veggies, or something else...occasionally vegan junk foods like vegan cookies or crackers.

But fruit is by far the best snack as far as I'm concerned. It is very convenient, tastes great, releases energy quickly, digests quickly, and is pretty inexpensive.

I wouldn't just eat 3 meals, I'd get at least 4 or 5 in there. They don't have to be "meals" but "times." Sometimes I eat 12 times a day, but that doesn't mean meals by any means. I just eat a piece of fruit here, a handful of nuts there, a salad here, a burrito there, a bowl rice, tofu and broccoli here, a protein smoothie there, etc.

So when some people say they eat 8 "meals" a day, they probably mean "times." I only eat about 3 or 4 main meals a day, but some of my snacks are pretty good size and the times I end up eating is usually 8-10 during the day.

I'm sure there are many opinions on this. My eating program works fairly well for me but it will vary from person to person. This is just one idea.

Robert

Diet is individual. Also, it is a matter of habit.

Depending on your goals, "snacking" can be important or not. What is important in my opinion is to avoid large amount of food per meal. I think it's not healthy to stuuf three times a day, but if three times a day of moderate eating are enough for you, it should be okay.

i like to eat 3 meals a day. sometimes a snack, but i usually just eat those meals. but, i don't have any agenda for my eating (gaining or losing weight, building muscle mass).

one thing i consider is how your digestive system is doing. from what i've read, it's good to give it a break every once in a while. in addition to when we're sleeping.

my thoughts on this come from reading Optimal Wellness. it introduced me to the health benefits of fasting.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0345358740.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

http://www.ralphgolanmd.com/book.htm

• 2 weeks later...
i like to eat 3 meals a day. sometimes a snack, but i usually just eat those meals. but, i don't have any agenda for my eating (gaining or losing weight, building muscle mass).

one thing i consider is how your digestive system is doing. from what i've read, it's good to give it a break every once in a while. in addition to when we're sleeping.

my thoughts on this come from reading Optimal Wellness. it introduced me to the health benefits of fasting.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0345358740.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

http://www.ralphgolanmd.com/book.htm

I agree with Robert as far as frequency goes. I do pretty much the same as him. with 4 of my 'meals' being just protein shakes with fruit or flax or something. some days its different depending on availability and what's goin on and if I remember to eat. but I agree with you about needing a break sometimes too. today I'm not eating, partly because I need to go shopping and am too lazy to go to the store and also I'm still in gimp mode.