Macro nutrient ratio

klaatu21

Right so I'm getting fed up and close to quitting because I don't seem to be making any gains, but I'm sure as he'll no quitter, I train 3 times a week, for an hour a time and I train hard and consistent, I eat really well but don't count the calories so this is where I feel I'm going wrong, does any one know a good ratio of carbs/protein/fat I can start with and then tweak as the weeks go on to get the optimum balance and performance out of my food, I know how manycalories I need for a steady gain but will post that later as I'm at work right now, please help

Just realised how low that is, my resting metabolic rate according to my lean mass is 3066 cal so should I aim for about 3300 cals a day? Will make it 15% protein if I go for 1.5g/lb

I wouldn't worry about percents, per se. Setting your macro ratio is based upon what makes you feel better (i.e. what allows you to eat the kind of foods you actually enjoy) while also helping you reach your goals. Some people do better with a higher fat and lower carb ratio, others the opposite. See which one makes you feel better/eat the foods you enjoy more - just make sure you're getting a good amount of both day-in and day-out.

My personal recommendation is raising your fat a bit and lower carbs, especially if you have an issue with putting back a lot of food since you get more bang for your caloric buck with fats.

That is very true, I don't think I eat any where near enough fat, I'm only gonna start with percentages because I need regidity in what I do then when I'm used to it I'll be able to relax to a certain degree, purely because I've been eating what I feel is good and I've only seen tiny gains

That is very true, I don't think I eat any where near enough fat, I'm only gonna start with percentages because I need regidity in what I do then when I'm used to it I'll be able to relax to a certain degree, purely because I've been eating what I feel is good and I've only seen tiny gains

Most definitely be rigid with tracking while you get used to it - you'll be amazed at how much you're not eating even if you think you're eating a lot. While it's a pain and an invest, getting a small food scale is also pretty handy because measuring cups and things of that nature aren't the most accurate for portion sizes (I recently found out that method had me overestimating my intake).

Most definitely be rigid with tracking while you get used to it - you'll be amazed at how much you're not eating even if you think you're eating a lot. While it's a pain and an invest, getting a small food scale is also pretty handy because measuring cups and things of that nature aren't the most accurate for portion sizes (I recently found out that method had me overestimating my intake).

Yeah, I used to think I was eating 100 grams of oats for breakfast using my measuring cup, however it turned out I was actually eating around 120 grams, vegansludge is right, scales do come in handy!