Shoulder Injury of some sort

Question:

I have no idea what I did..well, besides possible overuse.

In pain on front right shoulder- something to do with the soft tissue on the anterior head, and I have never been injured upper body.

So my question is, I can't do push ups, I can't do dips, my pull ups feel like I will pull my right shoulder apart-

what are some good modified ideas that others have used to keep upper body strength without getting too unsymmetrical. When my IT band hurt from running- I wouldn't run- but this is different- everything upper body is affected. I took two full weeks off- Nada...so, I am doing some stuff and modifying as I go along- but wondering who else may have had a similar experience and what they did that was beneficial, besides complete rest, to

1) aide in healing

2) still get a workout.

Does it hurt specifically when you're raising your arm above your head? Putting on or taking off a shirt? Lateral or anterior arm raises? Sounds like rotator cuff or some of the surrounding soft tissue. If it doesn't hurt when the arm is hanging or moving at waist/chest level, it's probably just temporary irritation and inflammation, but if it's really painful or persists for more than a week you should really see a doctor.

In my experience, the problem with shoulder injuries is that it's so easy to keep aggravating them while trying to rehab. Take it super slow, do lots of warm ups to get the joint hot and lubricated, and perform even movements in each direction. Here's what I've used with some success:

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/PDFs/Rehab_Shoulder_5.pdf

anterior head only,

yes on up with weight--major yes on anything behind me

a trainer by trade and degree and many certifications and workshops over the years...so I am sure its soft tissue, didn't really consider rotator cuff as my ROM os still pretty good without pain all the way through the arc. WILL not see a doc- possibly the PT I used when I was still running marathons and had my knee and IT band go- I know I need to rest it,..I did, and may have to longer...I just want some other exercises others may have used in re-habbing--THANKS for the link. Its exacty what my PT would print out and hand me. D'uh, I could have had a V8.

and NO, not a lack of vitamins and minerals..a whole 'nother soapbox, but thanks for throwing that out there.

anterior head only,

yes on up with weight--major yes on anything behind me

a trainer by trade and degree and many certifications and workshops over the years...so I am sure its soft tissue, didn't really consider rotator cuff as my ROM os still pretty good without pain all the way through the arc. WILL not see a doc- possibly the PT I used when I was still running marathons and had my knee and IT band go- I know I need to rest it,..I did, and may have to longer...I just want some other exercises others may have used in re-habbing--THANKS for the link. Its exacty what my PT would print out and hand me. D'uh, I could have had a V8.

Heh, yes, exactly! It's intended for PT use, I believe. Definitely good exercises.

I've also done the Diesel crew's shoulder rehab, which is slightly different but I didn't find quite as effective. Still, might be better for others. http://www.dieselcrew.com/how-to-shoulder-rehab

Again, thanks.

I used to work for the largest vitamin manufacturer in the US and i have a very opionated view on supplements...not all are snake oil...and i took for years...but i am a confirmed skeptic now. Here's a good one, ...Procor and Gamble just bought New Chapter, one of the prettiest boxes on the shelf in any Whole Foods Whole Body...a 100%. Commission line, no salary base for the rep. That means sell me and push me. If it werent a money maker, P & G would not have bought...there are good supps iut there...no doubt, but it is a profit driven industry with no regulation at all, and its about the almighty dollar when you have LDS people drinking coffee and justifying caffiene in supps to satisfy the bottom line.

Agreed its inflamed, and i will stick to resting and rehabbing and detoxing with cleaner food choices. For me, that works best.

I so appreciate the input, truly. Just felt obliged to say where i am coming from and where my not going that way comes from. Too many years chasing 401k's and watching an industry that isnt true to its own self...supplements.

Again, thanks.

I used to work for the largest vitamin manufacturer in the US and i have a very opionated view on supplements...not all are snake oil...and i took for years...but i am a confirmed skeptic now. Here's a good one, ...Procor and Gamble just bought New Chapter, one of the prettiest boxes on the shelf in any Whole Foods Whole Body...a 100%. Commission line, no salary base for the rep. That means sell me and push me. If it werent a money maker, P & G would not have bought...there are good supps iut there...no doubt, but it is a profit driven industry with no regulation at all, and its about the almighty dollar when you have LDS people drinking coffee and justifying caffiene in supps to satisfy the bottom line.

Agreed its inflamed, and i will stick to resting and rehabbing and detoxing with cleaner food choices. For me, that works best.

I so appreciate the input, truly. Just felt obliged to say where i am coming from and where my not going that way comes from. Too many years chasing 401k's and watching an industry that isnt true to its own self...supplements.

+1

@divamom

A simple misunderstanding.

I fully agree with you on the issue of the supplement companies being money hungry. I don't take supplements except the occassional Vitamin B12.

When I say Vitamins, Minerals and Antioxidants, I mean from natural sources like lettuce and carrot juice. I highly recommend the carrot juice, aka magic juice.