Does organic food turn you into a jerk?

C.O.

(sigh) Just another example of a one particular characteristic of a small group being untruthfully extrapolated onto an entire population. You gotta look at the source. If you don't respect the judge, don't worry about the verdict.

The Erskine study is valid to the degree that it has been replicated elsewhere in other studies (I've read a few) but the way its results are being applied in sweeping generalizations here is just dumb. Selecting an organic apple over a non-organic one does not automatically turn one into a sanctimonious a-hole devoid of all moral fiber. The study showed what is possible, not what is certain. Not everybody thinks that way. I sure don't. Also, consider that studies tend to be conducted by one or more persons who have already formulated a hypothesis about something and are now primed and ready to receive all evidence justifying this hypothesis to the exclusion of all else. To put it simply, people don't see the world the way it is, they see the world the way THEY are. They look for evidence that they are right. If Erskine had looked a little longer and a little further, he would have found the throngs of us level-headed, kind-hearted beings out here who don't consider the purchase of organic foods to be the end of our contribution to the health of our living world, but merely the beginning. And damned proud of it.

Baby Herc

Edited by Baby Hercules

It doesn't matter if people buy organics because most (not all) people in the grocery store are jerks:

Cut you off in the parking lot

Steal your parking space

Nearly run your cart over

Block the aisle

Ditch in front of you while in line

etc.

Wow where do you shop, prison? That sounds terrible. I love shopping at the grocery store. I love food in general though, and buying it makes me happy.

I think there are some various definitions for the word jerk. I think it stems from the term jerk-off aka masturbater. Masturbation is healthy, it adds years to your life if you orgasm regularly. If you don't always have a partner, or if you partner isn't always in the mood, I think its a healthy alternative. So in conclusion buying organic does make you a jerk, because being a jerk is a healthy choice, just as choosing organic.

-Dylan

Wow where do you shop, prison? That sounds terrible. I love shopping at the grocery store. I love food in general though, and buying it makes me happy.

I think there are some various definitions for the word jerk. I think it stems from the term jerk-off aka masturbater. Masturbation is healthy, it adds years to your life if you orgasm regularly. If you don't always have a partner, or if you partner isn't always in the mood, I think its a healthy alternative. So in conclusion buying organic does make you a jerk, because being a jerk is a healthy choice, just as choosing organic.

-Dylan

Metro DC

That's why I shop mostly @ the farmers market or grow it myself