Best Spinach Dish Ever

Guest veganpotter

I don't know how to make this but it was great.

Today I had deep fried spinach...it was very odd and very battered but very good. It was on the buffet at a great Veg/Indian restaurant in Columbia, MD called Mango Grove. Anyway I'm thinking this is the best way to get your greens if you don't like them...cover them with a yummy batter and eat away..you'd also have to eat ten platefuls just to get a serving of spinach since the batter was so thick...so it would be fun too.

sounds really good.

i love those buffet joints big time but, to quote my son, we tend to eat "more than you can eat" as opposed to "all you care to eat".

i'm not sure when i'll be around Columbia, MD, so could you tell me a few things:

what was the spinach like on the inside, was it sauteed, steamed, boiled or semi-raw?

was it leafy or chopped?

what would you use for batter, just flour and water or en-r-g egg replacer than flour?

i'm getting hungry just thinking about this...

10 plates sounds good to me; hey if a lil decadence goes a long way than think how far a lot of decadence could go...

It looked like whole leaf fresh spinach to me(probably raw before frying). The batter was kind of orange red so I'm assuming there was some masala powder. Also I doubt there was any egg replacer since Indians(even ones that eat meat)don't really use eggs anyway.

Actually, did you ever have Vegetable Pakora?

It's an excellent Indian appetizer/snack that sorta meets some of the desciption of what you ate, except that the veggies are all chopped up and mixed together then battered and fried.

i've eaten them often over the years but never tried making them.

i just looked up some Pakora recipes and they all use a batter made up of Besan aka Gram Flour (Chick Pea Flour), water, and spices (ranging from chili to mango powder).

It is "to an Indian kitchen what egg is to a western kitchen." according to http://store.indianfoodsco.com/grocery/ProdDesc.cfm?itemid=AJG004&Description=Besan&countryid=&countryname=&countryorderid

maybe i'll see if i can pick up some and give "the best spinach ever" a go (i could always use the leftover Besan for power smoothies cos it's high in protein).

drooling....

i can't put my finger on it... but i love greasy fried food!

i just try to eat them infrequently, on special occasions or as a special treat... and stick to the plain simple wholesome stuff, for the most part.

Yes I love Pakora...they were actually right next to the pakora in the same serving pan...I guess its hard to get the oily stuff apart The batter was slightly more red than the pakoras but maybe thats just due to what was in the pakora since it did taste very similar.