“vegetarian"

madcat

I always hear things like "Oh, you look just like our nephew Knut!" or "You remind me very much of XY!"

Knut Best name ever.

So i get two usually, and it depends on what kind of movies people are watching most frequently... and my tan probably. I get billy zane from some folks, and vin diesel (albeit on a smaller scale) from some others.

But I think what I really meant was an identical, indistinguishable, twin-esque person.

Hehe, based on your avatar I can totally see where they get the Billy Zane comparison

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I skip out on functions that focus on meat - ie thanksgiving... Or modify them as needed for my comfort - ie having a vegan thanksgiving a day later

My girl and I do the same thing, last year for thanksgiving week we went to Jamaica, and this year we are going to Playa del Carmen, Mexico (just booked the trip last night, f$#k yeah!). There are a couple of vegetarians in my family, but I just don't like thanksgiving as a holiday anyway. My friends and I do have vegan thanksgivings most every year, even though they are only vegetarians and some meat eaters. We make tofurkeys, mashed potatoes, stuffing and the like.

More on drinks - Gin and tonic.

My favorite drink! People tell me this is a grandpa type of drink, but hey, my grandpa used to drink them when I was a kid, so I guess they are right

I skip out on functions that focus on meat - ie thanksgiving... Or modify them as needed for my comfort - ie having a vegan thanksgiving a day later

My girl and I do the same thing, last year for thanksgiving week we went to Jamaica, and this year we are going to Playa del Carmen, Mexico (just booked the trip last night, f$#k yeah!). There are a couple of vegetarians in my family, but I just don't like thanksgiving as a holiday anyway. My friends and I do have vegan thanksgivings most every year, even though they are only vegetarians and some meat eaters. We make tofurkeys, mashed potatoes, stuffing and the like.

More on drinks - Gin and tonic.

My favorite drink! People tell me this is a grandpa type of drink, but hey, my grandpa used to drink them when I was a kid, so I guess they are right

I am planning on cooking my own vegan food for Thanksgiving. I rarely get to see my family so even though I'm not a big fan of the holiday as a whole I'll still be going. Though, if Mexico were an option, I'd happily ditch the holiday.

The night before my birthday I was out and about and my regular drink purchaser screwed up and ordered me a gin and tonic instead of a vodka tonic (I think he was a bit tipsy himself because it's always vodka tonic)....anyway so it was my first one, and it was not nearly as bad as I was afraid. As I said before, I think my gin aversion is finally fading (3 years later ) It's a classic, not a grandpa drink. Like an Old Fashioned!

Buh, yeah I have people saying that it's 'controlling' to want people to be vegan in a relationship. That's bullshit. It's like saying it's 'controlling' to say that you don't want your partner to kick babies in the head for no reason. Kicking babies in the head for no reason isn't a very nice thing to do, as is killing animals.

EXACTLY Richard.

Madcat, that's got to be tough. Maybe you can handle it, but I couldn't handle being in a relationship with someone who isn't vegan - let alone vegetarian. I know, because I have been there. Veganism defines me. It dictates where I shop, what I wear, soap I'll use....soap-for fucks sake! It surely is going to dictate who I date. Eating meat repulses me. Maybe it's easier to accept because you aren't witnessing the slaughter on a daily basis - so when you hear pork, you think pork in the fresh meat section of the supermarket. But, if your boyfriend came home and said "yeah. i tried to fill up but I couldn't so I had some human flesh" you'd be stunned and ed. Because you interact with humans regularly. Because your initial though would jump to "who "murdered" someone for food? I'd bet you wouldn't even be able to look at him as he told you this. Because IT IS gross, cruel and unneccesary! Eating animal flesh is just as attrocious!

I'm in the same boat as Topher, Robert and Richard. I'd rather noone if they aren't compassionate, vegan, nonsubstance-using (including alcohol) ...

And, yeah, Richard, I'm with compassionategirl with re: to your analogy. Exact. muthfahk

So I'm thinking about this over the last day or two:

It's like saying it's 'controlling' to say that you don't want your partner to kick babies in the head for no reason. Kicking babies in the head for no reason isn't a very nice thing to do, as is killing animals. Fuck em!

Somewhere there's a comment to be made about not all of us having been vegan all our lives and the greater, overwhelmingly greater, group within society that doesn't connect what they eat and their compassion for animals. So I don't know that it's entirely fair to group kicking babies in the head for no reason (is there ever a reason? ) with not being vegan/vegetarian.

I know that I thought I was delightfully animal-welfare-concerned and environmentally concerned for quite some time before I went vegan. And part of what made being vegan(and even vegetarian) happen for me was a supportive partner (since gone). I think I'm still in the meet people where they're at boat. Then see where the tide of getting to know you takes them. That said if they are buttheads about my veganism, or don't respect that I don't want to watch them eat meat... then that's a different story. I think that enters the realm of respect for self in relationships...

Hmmm...

I like this thread. It doesn't get my homework done, but if there's a topic that's intriguing to me as of late... relationships are it.

-Aaron

I know that I thought I was delightfully animal-welfare-concerned and environmentally concerned for quite some time before I went vegan. And part of what made being vegan(and even vegetarian) happen for me was a supportive partner (since gone). I think I'm still in the meet people where they're at boat. Then see where the tide of getting to know you takes them. That said if they are buttheads about my veganism, or don't respect that I don't want to watch them eat meat... then that's a different story. I think that enters the realm of respect for self in relationships...

-Aaron

It seems to me that partners can be quite influential in helping someone go vegan or vegetarian, which is part of why I don't rule people out just because they're not. My ex agreed to try it to impress a woman (not me good reason why we're exes), and while that's completely effed up logic, it's better than eating meat. It'd be lovely to have someone who has my ideals to start with, but most of us weren't born vegan so I'm not opposed to giving someone the benefit of the doubt on being able to change.

I'm not a relationship expert but, bear with me anyway. I don't believe it is EVER a good idea to enter a relationship with expectations of changing the other person - regardless of how big/small the change may be.

People change in relationships naturally. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. Will you be happy in the long run if the person continues to eat meat? Will the person resent you for attempting to "change" him/her? It's not fair to either of you to forge a bond that will end up ultimately disappointing both of you.

I'm not a relationship expert but, bear with me anyway. I don't believe it is EVER a good idea to enter a relationship with expectations of changing the other person - regardless of how big/small the change may be.

People change in relationships naturally. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. Will you be happy in the long run if the person continues to eat meat? Will the person resent you for attempting to "change" him/her? It's not fair to either of you to forge a bond that will end up ultimately disappointing both of you.

I cope if they don't change. I don't push for it, I'm more of a lead by example sort. In the afforementioned case, we were together 3 years and he never changed and it wasn't an issue so long as he respected my choices. He did adapt some healthier eating habits as a result of being with me, but didn't give up meat until he found someone more interesting to him, and that was a choice to change he made entirely on his own. (I don't know if he stuck with it).

I don't believe it is EVER a good idea to enter a relationship with expectations of changing the other person - regardless of how big/small the change may be.

And therein lies the rub.

I wonder how the expression of that value happens. That strength of a value where a person, who for all other intensive purposes is extraordinarily pleasant company, does this thing... that make your environment uncomfortable. And then you're left to decide...

Hm.

Rethinking this... Maybe that expression of value doesn't happen in a sort of either or way. Rather it's just something that's discussed at some point. Relationships are interesting things indeed.

It's like saying it's 'controlling' to say that you don't want your partner to kick babies in the head for no reason. Kicking babies in the head for no reason isn't a very nice thing to do, as is killing animals. Fuck em!

Somewhere there's a comment to be made about not all of us having been vegan all our lives and the greater, overwhelmingly greater, group within society that doesn't connect what they eat and their compassion for animals. So I don't know that it's entirely fair to group kicking babies in the head for no reason (is there ever a reason? ) with not being vegan/vegetarian.

Hmmm...

I like this thread. It doesn't get my homework done, but if there's a topic that's intriguing to me as of late... relationships are it.

-Aaron

Well if someone comes from a society where kicking babies in the head for no reason is the norm, then I wouldn't date them. I would be 'friends' with them, and hopefully they would stop kicking babies in the head for no reason. Similarly, in my society, where eating meat is the norm, I am 'friends' with meat-eaters, but until they stop eating meat, I won't consider them as potential partners.