The Pet Topic

Dr. Pink

A general topic for pets of all kind. Ask questions like what can you feed a certain animal and what's the proper humane way to go about things.

I plan on getting a kitty in the near future. A few questions I have.

The first revolves around basic transport. When you're moving or if you need to take your kitty along what's the best way to go about it? I'd imagine most of you are against pet cages/kennels. But I also imagine letting the kitty free-roam the car might not be safe. If there was an accident little kitty would be sent flying. And if I strapped kitty down with a seat belt I'd imagine kitty would slip out( getting hurt in the process ) and then go flying out( Resulting in a double trouble ).

So. Are kennels the safest form of transport in regards to pets? Are is there some way I haven't thought of yet?

I imagined what I'd do. The kennel would be really big for one( Enough room for kitty to move around freely like a real kitty should ). I'd make it so his/her food and water bowl are strongly reinforced/drilled into the bottom so that if there were any bumps or what-not kitty's food and water would remain intact as much as possible. I'd keep the kennel in the front seat with the doorway facing me( So I can keep an eye on little kitty to make sure kitty is safe and sound ). I'd also strap down the kennel with a seat belt. Just for safety. I'd also consider getting the walls of the kennel super padded with some kind of super absorbent material. So if there were any "real" problems kitty would be safe and sound( I'd possibly thing about making the floor of the kennel out of carpet, putting a little kitty bed in there and maybe even a fun mini scratchy post. )

Does that sound humane? I can't think of any other way that wouldn't involve serious injury to kitty( just for the record. I've already got a name picked out for kitty even though it will be a good year and a half till I get him. I'm going to name him rocky )

1. You might want to have at least two cats. Cats are social beings and they need some company of their own species.

2. Cat kennel is the safest option

3. It shouldn't be too big, because then it would be unsecure. Cats don't usually roam around the cage. Unless they are freaked out.

4. There doesn't have to be food or anything to drink all the time. Cats don't drink that much and they are often too stressed to even think about drinking or eating while traveling. If you're traveling longer distances, then you might offer her something juicy/wet to eat at some point of your jorney.

5. You don't need the padding on the walls, as you might want, that your cat can breath properly and that it doesn't get too hot in the kennel.

6. For the bedding you might want just a towel. Something that's able to remove as cats aren't that "house-trained" in kennels.

7. Cat doesn't need a scratching post in the kennel. If you want to add some toy there, just pick some toy your cat usually plays when you're at home. But I doubt that she/he would play with it.

I am to the persuasion that Vegans should not buy pets. Before I was a vegan I felt the need to feed my children 1st, so over the years we had only a few pets. One time believe it or not 2 of our daughters caught an iguana that someone must have let go at the local reservoir, because it gets to cold in winter for much chance of survival, we did eventually give it away, as I was the only one who wanted to deal with it. At three feet long thay require a cage that about 8'x8'x3' deep. I built one half that size because of room constraints. But the biggest problem was that they required alot of attention in the form of physical contact or they would become less tame the longer you left them alone. Also a snake that one of our daughters brought home when she was about 12(?) I do have a fish tank that I inheritated when our oldest daughter move to CO, and for almost 2 years now these fish refuse to die. I'm not sure if it's my loving care (lol) or their tenatious dislike for me. I am the cleaner of the tank and my Grandaughter is the feeder of the fish. Which reminds me I'd better clean it this weekend.

I'm not really sure where I stand on the whole "pet issue" but if you get one, please adopt one from a shelter.

I agree. But my pets are from other people, who wanted to give their pets away, so I myself don't have any real rescue pets (my dog was in a shelter before she was taken into her previous home, though). But this cat, who's living here, is from a local shelter.

And I'm going to take a part in helping that shelter. Like offering temporary homes for animals, who are looking for their new homes.

I'm not really sure where I stand on the whole "pet issue" but if you get one, please adopt one from a shelter.

That's what I plan on doing.

Awesome.

Cats are really cool. My family had a cat. My parents got him before I was born and he lived untill I was twelve. They really are amazing animals. He was really kind and he used to kill mice and put them on the living room floor as a gift for the rest of the family. We also took care of two homeless cats for about a three months. It was really cool. We gave them away once we fed them to a standard weight and the vet did the basic stuff. I met one of the cats about three years later and call me crazy but I acctually think she remembered me.

HCP's idea about getting two cats is pretty good, allthough if you live in a neighborhood where there are more cats I doubt it would be needed. They often make friends with other younger or older cats of the same sex. Good luck with everything.

And a thing that is good to know is that you shouldn't let the cat sleep in your bed because (from what I understand) it's easier developing allergies by doing so. My mom got allergic to our cat like three years before he died and it wasn't funny at all. She loved him but couldn't pet him, she said it was like torture.

Damn, I just took a trip down memory lane. Sorry for the rant. Good luck with everything

When traveling with a pet I highly recommend a pet crate. Crates are good for a variety of reasons.

I was traveling (in town) a few years ago with one of my dogs. I was actually holding her in my arms at the time and the vehicle I was in was rear-ended at a stop light. I grasped her tightly and she almost slipped out of my arms. After that, I try not to take my dogs on car rides (in town) even though they love it. If I do take them anywhere (even long road trips), they share a crate together. Crates can be seat belted in as well. It is not cruel, it is short-term and is for their safety. We have seat belts and animals have crates.

Dogs (or cats) of course love the freedom to look out windows, but they can also get scared and run under (or around) the foot pedals of your car too. I have a friend who travelled from California to Illinois with her two cats. One of them got extremely car sick during the trip. Thank goodness it was contained to the crate instead of all over the car. If you travel by air, you will have to have a crate that is approved by the airlines in order to take your animal with you.

I strongly believe in crate training animals if they will be living inside of your house. Crates are not to be meant as punishment for animals. They are meant to be there as a bed or safety for the animal while you are away and can not watch them. If done correctly, the animal you crate train will find comfort in their crate and will frequent it when they want to get away from young children or if they get nervous. It becomes their safe haven.

Crate training is very beneficial for housebreaking a dog. I once thought that if I showed my new puppy (13 years ago) enough love and attention and took her out constantly that I could trust her. I let her sleep with me and I also let her roam free in an empty room that had a child gate on the door (when I wasn't at home). Needless to say, she ate the base board of my bed (little by little each night - un noticed). She ate a pair of boots and gnawed on the baseboards in the hallway. She even ate through the sheet rock in the empty room and pulled insulation out of the wall. I was in shock! She had so many toys but chose not to take her chewing out on them. Once I got a crate for her and didn't give her as much "freedom" to chew, all of the chewing of household items stopped. The crate was kept open at all times if she needed to go to bed on her own. When I left the house to go to work, she stayed in the crate. As she got older and more mature, the crate wasn't needed as much.

My dogs now sleep with me at night (they are spoiled). They are even sleeping next to me right now. Their crate is no longer needed while I am gone. When we travel they ride in the crate without hesitation. When we get to the destination, their crate becomes their home away from home. They find comfort in having a familiar place to go to.

I agree. But my pets are from other people, who wanted to give their pets away, so I myself don't have any real rescue pets (my dog was in a shelter before she was taken into her previous home, though). But this cat, who's living here, is from a local shelter.

Taking them in from someone who wanted to give them away is just as good as getting them from a shelter. You may have stopped them from going to the shelter in the first place, which is healthier (physically and emotionally) for them anyway.