Late-night meal suggestions?

blabbate

As it gets closer to bedtime, we're supposed to be eating fewer and fewer carbs, right? Even starches, from what I've been told. So I've been trying to eat higher protein as it gets later, but I'm getting kind of sick of gemma, tvp, and lentils at that hour.

Does anyone have any suggestions for late-night snacks or meals with a good macronutrient ratio? Easier is better, since I'm not usually in the mood to cook at that point. But if it's something I can make a bunch of and eat throughout the week, that's perfect.

You're talking about your dinner right? Tofu stirfry made with high protein tofu and whatever veggies your heart desires... red peppers, watercress, onions, broccolli, etc.

Yes, if you're primary goal is burning fat, cutting out late night starches is a good idea because we are less active, therefore late night starches and carbs will often be stored as fat.

Just stay out of the kitchen late at night. Almost everyone I know who is trying to lose fat struggles with this... there is no easy solution... just distract yourself... get in bed and watch a good movie... whatever it takes to just avoid doing it. And if you lose the battle once in awhile that's okay. For me losing the battle is a big 'ole bag of popcorn and a few glasses of wine. I'd do that almost every night if I could get away with it, but I can't... so I distract myself, knowing that a couple times a week I might slip up. It's what we do more often than not that counts... not what you do every once in awhile.

I always have a bowl of oatmeal late at night. It's part of my routine lol

oatmeal and herbal tea mmmm

Sounds really low in carbs!

Seriously, you might like some nuts or hempseed flour/protein powder before bed. They're slowly digesting, satisfying, low in carbs, and you won't wake up famished.

Daniel

I'm thinking more post-dinner, since I have dinner around 8pm and go to bed around 11:30pm. Usually after dinner I'm still 500-800 calories below where I want to be for the day. I don't have a problem staying ridiculously low-fat with those calories, but I just feel like I should have something.

I guess it sounds like my problem is more with the distribution and size of my meals, rather than their content. Should I increase the number/size of my early meals so that I don't need to consume any calories in those 2-3 hours before bed?

Yes, that would be the best approach. But personally, I often fail to do so.