Supplements//

hello everyone.

I'm not a huge fan of supplements but I feel that some definitely have their benefits. This may seem like a crazy idea but I look for supplements that will supplement by diet and not some 'natural' steroid or miracle pill!

What do you guys take? or feel would benefit a vegan bodybuilder?

has anyone tried ZMA?

cheers

Don't know if I can be much help here as I haven't tried many protein supplement (or supplements of any kind really), though there are a few I want to have a bash at in the future. (Sunwarrior especially is catching my eye).

Personally I've never understood what seperates a 'supplement' from any other substance we consume and consider a part of our diet. Some people say that at the end of the day supplements are just food and I have to agree really...If we eat and absorb it what's the difference?

I do use Wheatgrass and Spirulina in powdered form and imo are AWESOME and well worth a go. Ann Wigmore's findings on wheatgrass well worth a look at.

i personally supplement with amino acids. Mainly glutamine and bcaa's. I do feel however for somebody eating a well balanced diet, these supplements only change the density of your wallet! You could easily get enough protein (amino acids) but for somebody like me who doesn't, it helps!

i've also tried creatine and have to say it does help a bit with muscular endurance, but nothing i would do backflips over. I feel that creatine supplementation is good for vegans because the main source of it in food comes from beef. I'm a little curious to try beta-alanine ( another amino acid). I hear it works much like creatine and works synergistically with it as well.

I always ask myself 2 questions before considering a supplement.

- Does it occur naturally in the body or in foods?

- When taken orally, does the body use it to its advantage, or does it combat it?

I take essential amino acids during my workouts, creatine on and off and also some extra minerals, like zinc, calcium and magnesium when I'm dieting and doing a lot of cardio. I take a protein powder and lots of greens supplements but I look at those as being more of a food rather than a supplement per se.

I think you are right in the questions you ask yourself, supplements are just that and you really only need to take what you can't get from food at that time.

As for ZMA, I haven't tried the ZMA product as I can't find ones in veggie caps, so I usually take a seperate zinc and magnesium supplement, adjusting the dosages because the zinc in most ZMA's is pretty high for what I need.

As for beta alanine, I never got much out of it because I generally train for power rather than endurance, hence I prefer creatine. There seems to be some good feedback on it from other athletes though.

I take essential amino acids (where BCAA is included) plus some extra BCAA pre and post workout. I also use a Canadian MRP called Veganique as a inbetween meals snack sometimes.

I've tried ZMA and it was awesome. I didn't notice any extra growth but my sleep seemed to improve a fair bit. The dreams I had that month I took ZMA was out of bounds, crazy shit and it felt so real. I do not think that it's a product you should spend a lot of money on because the benefits are not that big compared to the price.