Robert Cheeke's Journal - 3 contests in 4 weeks!

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good training lately, Robert. That much volume would probably kill me, but it seems to work for you guys

405 x 4 (partial reps)

hmmmm..... so quick to list the exact details of how you were able to lift more than me with your biceps while you were unable to even have 1 full repetition with those so called "partial" reps. Whilst I repped out a solid 5 full repetitions with the same weight as you blamed it on the straps you weren't used to and the power rack having the bars set too low and you don't know how to do a 1/8th rack pull to get the weight started and all that....

Just a thought, but after your "Squatting 560" comments in another thread, you might want to at least give Robert credit for being honest here

This is true.

I posed on Saturday with DV and Lean and Green and it was a totally awesome time! I took the weekend off from training to eat and sleep. I did both well. I just got home at 11PM after being away for the weekend and was 192 lbs (with clothes on). It's too cold in my house to take clothes off to weigh myself....seriously, we actually haven't had the heat on for nearly 2 weeks. Something happened to our heating system. Our temperature gauge says it is 54 right now. It is usually 59-61 but maybe because nobody has been home for the weekend it got a bit colder.

Anyway, I took the weekend to sleep in, recover, and eat a bunch....I know it seems strange to be "building" or "bulking" during a 12-week pre-contest cutting phase...but it is something I am experimenting with and I honestly believe it will work...if I didn't believe that, I wouldn't be doing it....so according to original and current plans, I'm building up, getting bigger and stronger through March and then towards the end of March I'll begin cutting for 4 weeks and be ready come April 25th for the showdown in the desert!

I was inspired by Lean and Green's ability to bulk of so fast so I have been eating more, consuming more liquids, and peeing, pooping, and farting more as well. We're all finding ways to bring out the best in each other and we're all learning from different approaches we're each taking as we prepare for the same contest, the same day, in the same weight class (159 1/4lbs-176lbs). We're each about 185lbs right now and will all be under 176 lbs come contest day.

Anyway....just got home, gotta eat and then get under blankets...it's a cold one!

Today was another historic day. I pressed 110's for 3 reps, did another set and got 4 reps, including some reps totally unassisted. Lean and Green was there to spot me and did a fine job even when I wanted to stop after 3 reps we powered through a fourth rep.

I did 105s for a bunch of reps, 7 or 8 I think but stopped before failure wanting those 110's and got them. I thought about 115's but decided it was best to wait.

My chest workout went like this:

Dumbbell chest press: (odd numbered dumbbells)

43s x 20

52s x 12

70s x 8

92s x 8

105s x 7

110s x 3

110s x 4

Incline dumbbell press

75s x 10

87s x 6

Flat bench press

225 x 3

225 x 3

225 x 3

Decline bench press

225 x 5

245 x 3

225 x 6

Weighted dips

43 x 8

50 x 10

55 x 10

55 x 10

60 x 10

superset with bodyweight x 8

That was it.

All free weights, all heavy, all good

Lean and Green trained a bit of legs and a bit of chest and is back at the gym for another session doing a bit more legs and chest. The guy is an animal. Tasha and thendanisays are with him now...I"m home working, eating, resting, and farting.

Time for some Vega, some creatine, and probably some yams left over from lunch Tasha made me.

I was 192 last night (with clothes on), 188 at the gym with clothes on......will weigh myself without clothes soon...last time I checked I was 183, though have been as high as 185-186 lately. I will be 174 lbs for my contest and then hopefully up to 195 within a few weeks after the show

Yeah, they'll often offer the drug testing as far as a week before (many competitors are local, most usually are), but you can often do it Day Of Contest too.

I'll be there at least 2 days before and Lean and Green will likely be on the same travel schedule as me. My plan is to arrive around the 22nd or 23rd, relax, do photo shoots, prepare, practice more posing and then compete on the 25th, do more photo shoots, visit family, and then head back home on the 27th or 28th. So I may be there for a week, just because I used to live there, work there, have family there, etc.

Octo....wow, cool you'll be in the area...I didn't know El Paso was so close......

Anyway, I can talk to the promoter to learn more about the drug testing schedule. I have always done day of or day before.

SeaSiren.... link to our show:

http://www.donrobinsonproductions.com/inbf.html

Things are coming along well...I look forward to contest day!

I trained legs today. Lean and Green and Tasha were also there. It was Lean and Green's second workout of the day when we joined him.

I had a nice leg session today and will be back tomorrow morning for.....back.

Today it went like this:

Stair stepper for 15 minutes to warm up.

Leg Extensions (continued warm-up)

60 x 25

100 x 25

140 x 20

250 (whole stack) x 10

210 x 15

210 x 15

Hack Squats

90 x 15

180 x 12

270 x 12

360 x 10

360 x 8

Leg Press

270 x 20

360 x 15

540 x 12

720 x 6

540 x 12

540 x 15

Lunges...one giant set of prisoner lunges around the perimeter of the gym (toughest set of whole workout)

Calf raises

Less than 100 x 25

100+ x 20

100+ x 20

100+ x 20

100+ x 20

100+ x 15

I don't recall exact weights.

Then I did a few more lunges as I walked around the gym from point A to B....rather than walking, I lunged there.

I also did 2 more sets of hack squats with 180 for 15 reps per set.

Then headed to a market that has cheap food (saving money around every corner these days to prepare for the competition), picked up some groceries and had some Vega and creatine and then headed off to the post office to ship our t-shirts and a DVD order. Then came back and Tasha had potatoes, yams and broccoli for me, which I ate and enjoyed. I continued to eat later on with tofu and now I'm have 2 ProBars.

I wasn't pumped or anything but had photos taken of me today just for fun and I still look pretty soft...which is understandable and to be expected since I'm still putting on some size for totally leaning out....but I'm thinking I'll need to do more cardio starting pretty soon and work with my diet a little more closely to get things on good track. I'm still doing well and have had some great photos taken recently but I'm still working on many aspects of it.

I better get to bed soon....early morning workout with Cesar tomorrow.

What is it.......my inability to get out of bed in the morning from training and staying up late working....or my gas?

I'm working on a newsletter but my back is sore from using my laptop so I'm going to call it a night.....I'll be up early I actually look forward to morning workouts and getting up early will be good for me. A bit more food...and off to bed...buddies.

I trained back today with my trainer. Lean and Green and Tasha were also in the house this morning at 24 Hour Fitness.

It's now midnight and I trained at 9AM....let's see if I can remember it.....

I used the stair-stepper for 10 minutes

I'm not even sure what my first exercise was. It may have been back extensions.

Anyway, I did some back extensions for a few sets and then moved over to deadlifts.

Oh, I remember, I did some exercise with cables I had never done before. Some sort of unilateral cable lat pull-down while standing and leaning forward......I did that for 3 sets. I don't recall the weights.

Then I did another cable exercise I had never done that was a squat and row at the same time (tying in hamstrings with low back, stabilizers, etc.). There is always a plan when I work with Cesar to work on my weak parts (tightness in lower back, hams and glutes). I did 3 sets there too.

Remember I have low-back issues which keep me from squatting and deadlifting....the latest "accident" left me barely walking in November until I got some help from a chiropractor immediately. So anyway, they are very scary for me. I just used 95 pounds today. Sure I can use more weight in one hand for chest press, but when it comes to "bending" I'm in big trouble and can't do much.

So it will look funny but it's what I can do right now and even with only 95 my back "didn't feel right" as if it was on the brink of potential slipping (my vertebra's rotate sometimes which is incredibly painful and immobilizing). I write this now so I don't have to write it later when asked why I'm only lifting 95lbs.

Deadlifts

95 x 10

95 x 12

95 x 15

T-bar rows

50 x 15

75 x 12

100 x 12

125 x 8

50 x 12

One-arm cable rows

160 x 15

160 x 15

160 x 15

We didn't do any "seated" exercises, by design, until the final set. We wanted to keep the "whole body" engaged with various rows, deadlifts, etc.

Two-arm cable rows

120 x 15

135 x 12

150 x 12

That was it and then I rode the bike for 25 minutes and came home to have all kinds of good food made for me by Tasha. I made a Vega/Creatine shake and she made rice, yams, beans, broccoli, avocado, and had fruit prepared if I wanted it.

Good times.

We all took a bunch of photos modeling clothing since I'm trying to move my remaining inventory. These are all un-cropped, un-edited, have things in the background, etc....we're just trying to show what we have left. We took a bunch..here are just a few.

A sample of that is:

http://photos-b.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-snc1/v2290/219/57/1056650054/n1056650054_303665_8649.jpg

http://photos-e.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-snc1/v2290/219/57/1056650054/n1056650054_303668_9344.jpg

http://photos-g.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-snc1/v2290/219/57/1056650054/n1056650054_303670_1885.jpg

http://photos-a.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-snc1/v2290/219/57/1056650054/n1056650054_303672_2457.jpg

http://photos-b.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-snc1/v2290/219/57/1056650054/n1056650054_303673_2746.jpg

http://photos-e.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-snc1/v2290/219/57/1056650054/n1056650054_303676_3595.jpg

So it will look funny but it's what I can do right now and even with only 95 my back "didn't feel right" as if it was on the brink of potential slipping (my vertebra's rotate sometimes which is incredibly painful and immobilizing). I write this now so I don't have to write it later when asked why I'm only lifting 95lbs.

Have you read anything by Stuart McGill on lower back problems?

I have his "Ultimate Back Fitness and Performance" book on my desk just now. I think he also has a book called "Lower Back Disorders". He's got some interesting thoughts on rehab from injury and on lifting safe, they make sense to me.

To be honest I wouldn't really recommend the book, it takes too long to get to practical advice for me (maybe I'm just impatient), but have a search about on the internet for some articles by him.

Actually did this myself, this is his website: http://www.backfitpro.com/

And an interview on t-nation: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_interviews/back_to_mcgill

Thanks.....

I have disc vertebra problems and they slip and rotate and it feels like I've been in a car accident....I mean...worst pain of my life.

It happens every year on a freak lift like squats (multiple times), deadlifts, and things that require bending at the waist. I could barely bend over to unrack a barbell for shrugs the other day and even 95 pound deadlifts were tough for me.

Other things like chest press....no problem.

It's just one of those things......like a sore big toe can sideline a basketball player, because they can't put weight on it to pivot or rotate, jump, defend, etc.

It seems like it should get better....and does. I hadn't hurt it all year until Nov. when I messed it up pretty badly but had a doctor sort me out immediately. I just need more consistent work done with doctors and rehab, plus my own rehab my trainer and I are working on....and I should be squatting and deadlifting (actual weight) again one of these days.

Just had my oatmeal. Off to the gym now.

Yes, I threw some D's on it......

Today I trained shoulders. Tasha was there and spotted me using 85's in each hand over-head so that was cool.

I'm getting closer to some of my goals I set a while back. I'm at 85's for shoulder press, 105's for incline chest press and 110's for flat dumbbell press. I'm working up to 100, 110, 120 for those lifts which is even higher than my initial goals which I think were 90, 100, 110.

Workout today went like this.

Lateral Raises

5 sets x 15 reps with 12.5's-20's

Front Raises

3 sets x 15 reps with 15's

Overhead dumbbell press

42.5's x 10

42.5's x 15

52.5's x 10

60's x 8

75's x 6

80's x 6 with spot from Tasha

85's x 5 with spot from Tasha

I should be doing 90's soon, 85's weren't too bad. She gave me a lift off and helped with about 2-3 reps per set. So each set I got 2-3 clean ones unassisted and then as I would struggle she'd kick in and boost me to the top for full contraction. 85's are the heaviest I think I've used for that exercise. But soon 90's and then probably 100's isn't too far off for shoulders....a lot of that is just mental...I'm not afraid of 100's anymore for any exercise because I can manage heavier ones like 105s and 110's for chest and 120's for shrugs, etc. I don't fear then and will even go after 110's for chest without a spotter.

I super-setted each shoulder press with shrugs with the same dumbbells before racking them.

Barbell Smith Machine overhead press

45 on each side x 6-8 reps

Dumbbell Shrugs

120s x 15

120s x 12

120s x 10

Machine over-head (behind the neck angle) press

110 x 10

160 x 10

180 x 6

200 (whole stack) x 6

Then I rode the bike for 15 minutes. I could have gone longer but I showered at the gym before the workout to wash off some tanning stuff, then worked out for over an hour, then did some cardio and Tasha was there too, training while I was showering, etc. and I was getting hungry, so I figured 2 hours was enough (90 min training). I thought about going back to do some cardio tonight but I worked on other things like eating, catching up on some phone calls, etc.

I went to a Darwin Day presentation about the domestication of dogs today at Portland State University and it was really cool.

Tasha made some awesome bean, rice, tofu, broccoli, avocado thing today...as well as oats and now she has something else she's making in the kitchen but I'm not even sure what it will be, so I will be surprised Yay for extra help with food!!!!!!

Today was my 5th day in a row training. Normally I train 2 days on, 1 day off, 3 days on , 1 or 2 days off, etc. But I've kept busy at the gym, have been eating and sleeping and recovering well enough to keep going.

I woke up at 8AM per my alarm to get to the gym....I saw a text message from my trainer to see if I could come in at 10AM. I had planned on 9AM on my own, but he invited me in to train with him, so I did. I responded via text and said that arms are on my schedule but that Chest was 5 days ago and may be OK....he replied with one word, "chest."

So that is what it was.

My week has been:

Monday - Chest

Tuesday - Legs

Wednesday - Back

Thursday - Shoulders

Friday - Chest

Obviously I missed arms in there but trained them all the while training chest, back and shoulders, but I think I'll go back for a 6th day in a row tomorrow to hit arms and then take a day off and then do more of a 3 on, 1 off schedule for now on.

Chest went like this:

Decline Bench press for warm-up

95 x 30

145 x 25

165 x 15

165 x 12

Incline Dumbbell Chest Press

60s x 12

70s x 10

90s x 6

100's x 4

Flat Dumbbell Chest Press

90's x 6

100's x 5

100's x 5

Peck Dec

140 x 10

140 x 10

140 x 10

Dips

Bodyweight x 15-20

Bodyweight x 15-20

Bodyweight x 15-20

I also did 30 push-ups or so.

Then I hopped on the stationary bike for 30 minutes.

I came back to the gym in the evening and did 66 minutes of cardio:

22 minutes on the bike, 22 minutes on the stairmaster and 22 minutes on the rowing machine. I had never used the rowing machine before in all my years of training but enjoyed it and will use it in future sessions. I think I get the most out of the stair-stepper, of all the cardio machines.....but I will start playing basketball, hiking and cycling with Lean and Green and Tasha when it gets warmer as some of my forms of cardio.

I'm 1 point heavier than last week and about 10 pounds above what I'll be on contest day.

We got a bunch more support in the form of paypal payments, checks in the mail, encouraging words, and t-shirt orders as well as some DVD sales so that is great and it makes a huge difference.

Tasha and I just finished a grocery shopping trip and we got some great foods to prepare for the next 2 weeks.

I'm quite tired so likely off to bed soon. Arms tomorrow.

Looking strong, Robert. The db overheads are particularly impressive - especially so now that you're closing in on 90s/100s. I think the only guy I've seen strict pressing 90's and 100s is a 300+ lb strongman competitor.

I've been doing a lot more arm training myself lately, I attribute that partly to reading your journal so much lately

I'd be interested in buying a t-shirt, especially if it supports the cause. I saw the white ones with the "Healthy Food Defines You" on the back, that one looks pretty cool. Do you have any of those in xl or (ideally) xxl?

Thanks,

Eric

Looking strong, Robert. The db overheads are particularly impressive - especially so now that you're closing in on 90s/100s. I think the only guy I've seen strict pressing 90's and 100s is a 300+ lb strongman competitor.

I've been doing a lot more arm training myself lately, I attribute that partly to reading your journal so much lately

I'd be interested in buying a t-shirt, especially if it supports the cause. I saw the white ones with the "Healthy Food Defines You" on the back, that one looks pretty cool. Do you have any of those in xl or (ideally) xxl?

Thanks,

Eric

Hey Eric,

Thanks man!

You know what....I'm having more fun than ever in the gym.....if you look at my journal from a year ago or two years ago or before that when I didn't even have a journal, I wasn't having a lot of fun, I was only in there every once in a while, I was injured, interested in other things, etc. It's just part of my personality, I have so many interests....but right now...I'm having the most fun in the gym since 2003 when I trained with one of my best friends, the guy who got me into bodybuilding.

So now, I can't wait to get in the gym, in fact I went twice today

As for the shoulder dumbbells, I know I could have done 90's yesterday and I almost did them but stayed with 85s because my shoulders were burning out and I figured I'd get better reps, greater range of motion just using 85s. I'll be at 90s soon and perhaps I'll achieve my vision of triples, the 100, 110, 120, getting that 100 lb dumbbell for shoulder press. That would be pretty sweet.

As for shirts.....yes, I have XL in the classic version, white with blue text and I also have 1 XXL shirts in royal blue with white text (also classic version), and I have an XL long sleeved light blue with white text classic shirt, and then I have XL and XXL in the newer shirts with the logo that is on most of the shirts (the logo from the top of the forum) and those are in white with blue text.

They are $24.90 with shipping, so that is the full price and they can be paid via paypal to [email protected] or via check.

Thanks! Let me know what you'd like.

I'm actually using all of my income on this competition. All the money I get from my various jobs goes into making this competition happen for Me, Lean and Green and Octopussoir. Each of them has also stepped up and have found ways to fundraise. I'm not just using the money I make from selling shirts and DVDs and things like that but my paycheck from Vega, and all other sources of income. I'm putting everything on the line for this day that we're all working towards. I've contacted media and we may even have Tom Platz as a judge of our contest!

Thanks for helping us make it happen.

Robert