Hello from St. Louis

Jeffrw

I'm a vegetarian from St. Louis. Sorry I am not a vegan. However, its really hard even for a vegetarian to find good advice when it comes to lifting weights and nutrition. This site looks like a great place to find others that share (somewhat) similar views without people jumping down my back and telling me I'm a hippie and need meat to get my protein.

I become a vegetarian by accident. My wife and I had decided one week to eat down the cupboard and freezer to get rid of some food that had been around awhile. Over a period of two weeks we ate very little meat and both of us felt much better. We thought "what the heck" and decided to give vegetarianism a shot. That was September of 2007. I have cheated a few times with fish, but not a regular basis. "Fast Food Nation", the book, not the movie, also had a lot with me sticking to this diet.

My training is based mostly around strength and not appearance. I'm big into Kettlebells (for about two years) and like to do heavy Olympic weightlifting and some power lifting stuff (cleans, presses, jerks, snatches, deads and squats.) I do not bench press or do isolation work. I do lots of sprint work and in the summertime I like to do triathlons.

I can also do pistols (one leg squats) and like to mess around with some homemade gymnastics rings I have.

Two of my "heroes" are Bill Pearl and Mike Mahler, a vegetarian and vegan respectively.

Welcome Jeff. I, too, recently joined the VBBF--a couple days ago--and I've already found so many helpful tips and inspirational stories. I'm positive that with a little encouragement and a lot of time speaking to all the great people on this forum your "diet" will become a lifestyle.

Best of luck!

Welcome Jeff. I, too, recently joined the VBBF--a couple days ago--and I've already found so many helpful tips and inspirational stories. I'm positive that with a little encouragement and a lot of time speaking to all the great people on this forum your "diet" will become a lifestyle.

Best of luck!

well of course it's a lifestyle. I meant "diet" in the general term of food selection in my life, not with a goal like losing weight or whatever!

St. Louis has got some good places to eat.

I've been to Shanri La and the Black Bear Bakery, went to Vegandeli but it was closing...silly vegans not staying open past 7 or was it 8 either way far too early!

Where do you like to go in St. Louis?

Good to have you aboard!