Lobsteriffic's Training Log - Oct. 31st Marathon Here I Come

Tuesday, May 12th:

Weights: None. I was supposed to do my quad workout but I get to the gym and they're painting the area with the squat racks so they had it roped off. Grr. They said it SHOULD be open tomorrow. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Cardio: Since I couldn't do my quad workout I decided to do Wednesday's steady state cardio today. I tried to get on the treadmill but I had this horrible stitch in my side. I tried breathing exercises while walking but nothing seemed to be working. So I did 10 k on the stationary bike followed by 10 min. on the elliptical.

Diet:

Pre-workout: banana

Post-workout: oatmeal with blueberries, protein powder, and a bit of maple syrup

Lunch: grilled tofu over salad with dressing and mixed sprouts, orange

Snack: apple

Supper: Ethiopian lentils with brown rice, brussel sprouts, apple for dessert

Snack: orange

Cals 1614

Fat (g) 25.4

Carbs (g) 280.6

Prot (g) 87.5

MaryStella thank you again for that lentil recipe! I loved it! I pretty much followed the recipe exactly.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay!! So glad you tried and like them! That was quick! I have a feeling I am going to spend most of my weekend in the kitchen. I want to prep extra food so the day of my surgery and recovery days afterwards my husband and I can just eat. I don't have to cook if i don't feel up to it. But we will see how the weekend goes.

I'm not sure...I didn't really do anything different. I had the amount of water I normally have by that time, ate my usual banana before leaving the house...maybe I wasn't breathing properly or something. If I do get a stitch it's usually after I've run for a bit and if I'm breathing too shallow. But usually if I focus on breathing properly they go away.

And boo for gyms under construction! I'm sure it'll be better when it's all said and done...but in the meantime, argh!

Wednesday, May 13th:

Weights: Vertical Push/Pull & Abs (The squat rack portion of the gym is STILL roped off due to painting so I subbed in Friday's vertical push/pull workout...hopefully I can get my squats in tomorrow!)

Negative Chins:

BW x 5

BW x 5

BW x 4

BW x 3

Lat Pulldown:

60 lbs x 8

60 lbs x 8

60 lbs x 8

Military Press:

35 lbs x 5

40 lbs x 5

40 lbs x 5

40 lbs x 4

40 lbs x 3

Laterals:

8 lbs x 8

8 lbs x 8

8 lbs x 8

Weighted Swiss Ball Crunches:

25 lbs x 12

25 lbs x 12

25 lbs x 12

Not that great of a workout...I felt kind of weak the entire time. I didn't really feel fully recovered from Monday's horizontal session. Oh well, this week's schedule is messed up but I should be back to a normal routine next week when the painting is done.

Cardio: HIIT on stationary bike...I did 9 30 sec. intervals followed by 60 sec rest.

I have a 90 min. bellydancing class this evening.

Diet:

Pre-workout: apple

Post-workout: protein powder and chocolate soy milk, rice cakes

Snack: apple, peanut butter

Lunch: leftover lentils with brown rice, banana

Supper: grilled tofu over salad with dressing and mixed sprouts, more lentils

Snack: blackberries

Cals 1642

Fat (g) 33.2

Carbs (g) 267.0

Prot (g) 90.9

I love things like yoga and bellydance! They get me out of the house in the evening and I find them to be a great stress relief. You should definitely look into some classes once you are recovered from surgery!

Thursday, May 14th:

Weights: Quad Dominant/Ham Accessory & Biceps

Squats:

45 lbs x 8

75 lbs x 5

80 lbs x 5

80 lbs x 5

80 lbs x 5

80 lbs x 5

I have a question regarding squats...my quads could handle more weight than 80 lbs, but my hip flexors are so tight (I'm working on it, but it's a long, slow process) my form really suffers if I go heavier. For instance I can't go down as far and my back does not stay straight. So should I stick to the 80 lbs until I can get more flexibility in my hip flexors?

Leg Press:

140 lbs x 8

140 lbs x 8

140 lbs x 8

High Foot Leg Press:

90 lbs x 12

110 lbs x 12

110 lbs x 12

Hammer Curls:

15 lbs x 8

15 lbs x 8

15 lbs x 8

Cardio: None. I have a 60 min. yoga class tonight.

Diet:

Post-workout: protein powder, a bit of maple syrup and rice cakes

Snack: peanut butter

Lunch: more leftover lentils, apple

Snack: roasted cauliflower

Supper: split pea soup, grilled tofu over salad with dressing and mixed sprouts, blackberries for dessert

Snack: edamame

Cals 1523

Fat (g) 38.2

Carbs (g) 212.9

Prot (g) 101.5

Thinking about the squats. How you tried doing front squat where the weight is on your chest not on your back. You usually can not lift as much weight initially in this version but you stay upright with the weight as the tendancy to bend over is gone because you would drop the weight. Do you turn your feet out slightly so your knees track over your feet?

I do turn my feet out slightly. With about 80 lbs I have great form, but any heavier than that and my hips just can't handle it. I am stretching them out lots and they are SLOWLY getting better but it's going to take awhile.

I haven't tried front squats though, good idea!

Here is a good squatting video.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6529481301858251744

Front squats, overhead squat, goblet squats, they're all good.

Before that video, I couldn't even overhead squat just a broomstick properly.

lobster, I'm glad to hear the paint dried and you were able to do a squat session.

Dan John to the rescue. I've seen this link posted on so many disscussion board threads I downloaded it a while ago.

if you do the overhead squats your probably going to have to drop your weight at least initially as they are pretty hard. I haven't done them in a long time because of the shoulder injury but i don't think i was ever able to come as close with an overhead as I was with a front or back. so if you are looking to add more weight to your squats I don't know if overheads would be the way to go. Although I agree they are an excellent exercise.

4x4, thanks for sharing that video! I only had a chance to watch the first half so far but I'm definitely going to finish it later when I have time. I picked up some great pointers.

I'm going to keep working on the flexor problem. My yoga teacher is aware of it, as is my bellydance instructor, and they've both been giving me stretches to do. In the meantime I think I might work goblet squats into my routine, I wasn't aware of those. They look great for people like me who are having difficulty with standard squats.

Friday, May 15th:

Weights: None

Cardio: 15 min. on treadmill, 15 min. on stationary bike, 15 min. on elliptical

Diet:

Post-workout: oatmeal with protein powder, flax, blueberries, and a bit of maple syrup

Snack: apple, peanut butter, soy milk

Lunch: grilled tofu over salad with dressing

Supper: sauteed kale with roasted chickpeas, soy milk, apple with cashew butter for dessert

Snack: some strawberries and grapes at a party I went to

Cals 1669

Fat (g) 49.1

Carbs (g) 240.1

Prot (g) 87.4

I went to a birthday party tonight. It was a wine tasting party where everyone brings a bottle of red wine, and then tastes a bit of each bottle that everyone brought. I volunteered to drive so that I was't tempted. As much as I adore red wine, I am super motivated right now and I don't want to "cheat" (I hate that term...) on my "diet." I always feel kind of awkward being one of the few not drinking...everyone kept asking "oh aren't you drinking??" What's the big deal, can't I hang out and have fun without drinking? Just a little side rant.

I enjoyed your drinking rant. I usually offer to drive too so I am not pressured to drink. It is hysterical how much social pressure comes from people to drink, eat horrible for you food etc. instead of actually doing something good for them. Your log is looking great though so I am going to pressure u to keep it up! although I know you don't really need my pressure.

Viva - Maybe it was second-hand intoxication??

MaryStella - I know! If I'm cool with hanging out with my glass of water then everyone else should be too. Maybe we should start peer pressuring people to eat healthy and exercise..."come on, all of the COOL kids are doing it!"

Mary & Ms. lobster I haven't had a drink 5 years. I've never felt any social pressure to drink from anyone.

lobster its called "contact intoxication."

Saturday, May 16th:

Rest day! I had a 60 min. yoga class in the AM and that's it.

Diet:

Breakfast: protein powder mixed with soy milk, apple

Lunch: roasted broccoflower, tofu over salad with dressing

Supper: kidney bean burgers, mixed greens, asparagus, apple for dessert

Snack: peanut butter, protein powder, and a bit of maple syrup

Cals 1559

Fat (g) 42.1

Carbs (g) 215.6

Prot (g) 98.0

Weight this morning was 147.5. Which means I must have been super bloated last week when I weighed myself at 152.5.

I also took my measurements for the first time in a month:

Chest: 37" (-0.5")

Waist: 29.5" (-0.5")

Hips: 39" (-0.5")

So I'm down half an inch everywhere...nice.

Sunday, May 17th:

Weights: Ham Dominant/Quad Accessory & Triceps

RDL's:

45 lbs x 10

85 lbs x 5

90 lbs x 5

90 lbs x 5

90 lbs x 5

95 lbs x 5

Good Mornings:

45 lbs x 8

75 lbs x 8

80 lbs x 8

85 lbs x 8

Static DB Lunges:

25 lbs x 12

25 lbs x 12

25 lbs x 12

Assisted Dips:

40 lbs x 5

40 lbs x 5

40 lbs x 5

40 lbs x 4

40 lbs x 4

Cable Pressdown:

50 lbs x 8

50 lbs x 8

50 lbs x 8

This workout felt great this morning...I was able to up the weights on all of the leg exercises which is awesome.

Cardio: HIIT on stationary bike - 9 30 sec. intervals followed by 60 sec. rest. I upped the resistance level for each interval to 7. I started out using 6. Last time I did HIIT I used a combination of 6 and 7.

Diet:

Pre-workout: leftover kidney bean burgers

Post-workout: protein powder, soy milk, and rice cakes

Lunch: more leftover kidney bean burgers, salad with dressing, apple

Snack: dates

Supper: grilled tofu with bbq sauce, corn on the cob, asparagus, strawberries for dessert

Snack: peanut butter

Cals 1580

Fat (g) 37.4

Carbs (g) 232.5

Prot (g) 97.4

Monday, May 18th:

Weights: None

Cardio: The gym is closed as today is Victoria Day here in Canada. I wanted to head outside for a run this morning but it was below freezing when I woke up. Yesterday was 20 celcius/68 farenheit and not even 24 hours later they're giving more snow...*sigh* Summer, will you ever get here? Anyway, so this morning I improvised and did level 2 of Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred DVD. Man that thing is tough.

No yoga class tonight because of the holiday so I am going to do a yoga DVD later this evening.

I found this one hundred push-ups program. I can barely do 3 push-ups so I wanted to start trying it out.

Diet:

Breakfast: oatmeal with flax, protein powder, blueberries, and a bit of maple syrup

Lunch: grilled tofu over salad with dressing, leftover kidney bean burger

Snack: dates, apple, banana

Supper: stewed potatoes and tofu in miso gravy, brussel sprouts

Snack: strawberries

Cals 1593

Fat (g) 36.0

Carbs (g) 257.8

Prot (g) 84.3

Protein a little low. I was really hungry in the afternoon for some reason, hence all of fruit for a snack.

Update: So I did the first day of that push-up program. I suck. I can't even do 1 push-up with full ROM. I did them the best I could: 5 sets: 2, 3, 2, 2, 3. I suppose the upside is that I can't possibly get any worse...

Edited by lobsteriffic

I found this one hundred push-ups program. I can barely do 3 push-ups so I wanted to start trying it out.
I'm familiar with that program. I've never tried it, but a future goal I have is to do 100 consecutive push-ups. Let me know how it works. I'll be checking out your log. That site has a 200 sit-up and 200 BW squat program too. If I was a morning lifter I'd try all 3 programs.