Lobsteriffic's Training Log - Oct. 31st Marathon Here I Come

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice job! Very respectable time as well.

I can do about 10 miles before things start hurting. I am flying my boss to a Marathon in Santa Barbara in November, and I am thinking about doing it. Need to start training now.

Thanks!

You should go for it! I'm using a Hal Higdon plan...the novice one. I like it because there are only 4 days of running a week so I can still do other things. It's free on the web, just google Hal Higdon marathon plan or something like that. There is also Jeff Galloway, I've never followed one of his plans but people seem to like them.

Thanks Lobsterriffic, I am on the site now. I have also been reading Brendan Braziers book "Thrive Fitness". It really has some good explanations and ideas on how to balance heart and muscle performance.

I should probably find someone who run marathons to get some tips. Sometimes I feel I am a very inefficient runner. If I get tired, I find myself bouncing more which I am sure is making me even more inefficient. Maybe if I lost the 8 or so pounds I want to lose I will be better at running:)

Wednesday, June 30th:

AM: 7 mile run (1:17:41)

Geez, I was aiming to keep this at an easy pace but I didn't think I was going THAT slow. Oh well.

Noon: 650 yd swim (18 min.)

Oh my god this swim sucked.

The university pool normally has crappy hours and is hardly open. Well, for summer they decided to cut back the hours even MORE. This has resulted in a ridiculously overcrowded pool.

After 650 yd I said 'to hell with it' and got out.

Thursday, July 1st:

AM: Hill repeats!

Hill repeats:

Run to hill: 11:32

Hill #1: 2:20

Hill #2: 2:15

Hill #3: 2:19

Hill #4: 2:16

Hill #5: 2:14

Run home: 10:42

Jogged downhills

Total: 3.99 miles (43:12)

Spent Canada Day at the beach and on a pontoon boat. Didn't really keep track of what I ate, but snacked all day on veggies and hummus and fruit and some veggie hot dogs.

green smoothie (spinach, protein, strawberries, 2 bananas)

3 mangoes, 1 banana

watermelon

baked potato, chickpeas; 2 mangoes; 1 beer

Great job!

I thought about a spur of the moment half-marathon a couple of weeks ago myself, but decided I needed to rest instead. One of these days, though!

Saturday, June 26th:

Half marathon!

Hadn't really been training for this...it was a spur of the moment decision to register.

Actually followed my strategy of starting out slow...was at the back of the pack and lots of people zoomed by me but I kept on trucking slow but steady. I picked up my speed toward the end and passed quite a few people.

I don't have the official time, but my Garmin tells me 2:11:44. I forgot to turn off my Garmin the moment I finished, it took me a few seconds to remember. I don't have my split times, but it was most definitely a negative split.

Had Gatorade at some of the aid stations. I couldn't find my own salt tabs. I need to get that sorted out though and figure out a system that works for me. I don't really want to have to use things such as sports drinks, too much junk in them. Anyway, the Gatorade kept me nice and hydrated. I stopped at a lot of the aid stations early on and skipped the ones that were later in the race.

All in all I'm happy with my performance. I averaged 10:03/mile, which sounds about right.

Call me crazy but I'm considering doing a full marathon on October 31st in San Jose. Not 100% decided yet but I would have 4 months to get from 13.1 miles to 26.2. I think that's doable.

Maybe it's just the post-race endorphins making me insane.

Thanks!

Okay so I've been doing a horrible job of updating this thing the last few days. Life is getting crazy. I don't know if I mentioned it on here, but there has been MORE drama with my new job. So now they are sending me to Ontario to work from July 26 until the end of September. My husband is staying here. Then we are both going down to California in October. This has been such a soap opera. I just want to start work already!

Saturday, July 3rd:

10 mile run (1:47:28)

First time running with fuel belt. Felt like kind of a tool but oh well, I was hydrated!

Had two flasks with OJ + water + salt...seemed to work well. Two flasks of plain water.

Sunday, July 4th:

Ugh. Planned on a long bike ride. Ended up getting bogged down with life crap. Wish I had just said 'screw it' and gone anyway. Oh well.

Monday, July 5th:

30 min. swim. Worst swim I've had in awhile...just wasn't feeling it. I was slow and unbalanced.

Need to break out of this workout funk!

Thanks everyone!

Hmm, maybe I'll have to check that out Ducati! Can't wait to live somewhere with FUN things to do. Where I live now is incredibly lame.

Tuesday, July 6th:

3.09 mile run...kept the pace pretty easy (30:54)

Meant to go for bike ride in the evening but we had yet another thunder storm. I like thunderstorms as much as the next person, but we've had one a day for a month now! It's getting a bit old. Ah well, used the down time to relax.

I've got an xterra wetsuit also. Im rocking the fullsleeve vortex because I also got a great deal on it. Be careful putting that on and taking it off so you don't rip it. I recommend using bodyglide so you can slide in and out of it. Just don't use your nails to pull it off, it is so hard not too. I can't wait to hear about your sprint tri, is this your first tri with an open water swim? I remember you did one with a pool.

Open water swimming is really different then pool swimming so if you can get in the open water before the race i think it would be beneficial to you. Your going to have to sight and deal with people around you. Also the water is not going to be clear, you have to start shallow etc.

I would also recommend trying on your wetsuit to make sure it fits right. I also feel like it is much different swimming in this because it makes your really bouyant you barely need to kick. But if you don't have the suit on right it is like fighting the suit to swim. Make sure you really pull it up and don't impinge your shoulders.

That's good advice. Also, make sure the armpits of the suit are all the way in your armpits, so you don't create a webbed effect that will slow you down. Same with the crotch. I can't be bothered with body glide, I just use bigger plastic shopping bags. Put one over your foot and pull the leg on, all the way up, then pull the bag out of the suit and off your foot. Repeat on the other side. You can do that with your arms if you need to too.

Will they let you practice with your suit in the pool? Will it hurt the fabric?

Hey guys, thanks for the advice. Yeah, I realize OWS is different, but my hands are kind of tied with my suit being at customs. I ordered it a long time ago with the idea that I would have time to practice. I sure didn't plan it this way. I just checked and apparently it cleared customs yesterday so it *might* get here today. Sure hope so. If that's the case I'll try and squeeze in a OWS on Saturday before my race on Sunday. Not a lot of practice but it's better than nothing. The crappy thing is I will probably be going by myself so I guess I'll just stick close to the shore. I know it's not ideal, but I don't have anyone to go with.

I have a feeling customs is going to charge me a whole bunch of duty tax on the suit which means my great deal won't be such a great deal after all. *sigh*

I like the bag idea!

Wednesday, July 7th:

Went for ride on beater bike to scout some photo locations (1:34:10). Nasty headwind. Came home just as storm clouds rolled in.

Thursday, July 8th:

Had a crazy day, didn't get a workout in. But the good news is that my dissertation is finally handed in to my Committee. Yay! Now I just wait a month for them to read it and pass judgment on me.

any chance the water is warm enough for you to go for a swim without the wetsuit if you dont get it? I don't like that your going out in the open water by yourself. Can you take someone with you even if they arn't going to swim just to keep an eye on you and be there just in case? Def stay close to the shoreline to be safe. if you do go with the suit on you can basically just float in it. Sorry to hear about all of the customs crap. I am sure your race on sunday is going to be awesome! I can't wait to hear the race report!