Lobsteriffic's Training Log - Oct. 31st Marathon Here I Come

I know - I can't wait for Cali!! Bummed I won't be there until October...

I managed to find two tris that still had spots open: a sprint in July and an olympic in August. There's a half marathon in November in San Francisco that I want to run in. The September half is sold out here.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so so so tired lately. Last night I slept 10 hours and I am STILL exhausted today. Yikes.

Decided I need to start tracking my food lately. I haven't been eating horribly, but I know I can do better. I want to get back to following more of an Eat to Live-type diet with more produce.

Friday, June 18th:

Noon: 30 min. swim (200 yd. warm-up, 50 yd. sprints x 6, 500 yds)

PM: took my beater bike out exploring by the river...have the bajillion mosquito bites to prove it. 13.5 miles (1:11:12)

green smoothie (spinach, 2 bananas, protein, strawberries)

bbq black-eyed peas, lots of watermelon

apple

salad with leaf lettuce, baked tofu & mustard dressing; baked potato; apple

plain popcorn, a couple of pieces of candy

Saturday, June 19th:

11.07 mile run (1:59:45)

By far the longest I've ever run. I remember when 3 miles seemed like such a long way...and that was less than a year ago.

I really need to start experimenting with gels. I became very, very hungry at about mile 6. Miles 7-10 were painful and SLOOOW. Mile 11 I picked up some speed but that's because I wanted to get the hell home.

Not the best day food wise:

banana (pre-run)

green smoothie with spinach, protein, 2 bananas, and frozen strawberries)

pb & j sandwich, banana

baked potato, seitan 'ribs', grilled mushrooms, onions, and asparagus

a few handfuls of candy

3 beer (at a bbq)

Sunday, June 20th:

38.58 mile bike ride (2:30:24)

Had about a 3-5 min. rest at the halfway point. Long enough to eat a banana and drink some water.

2 bananas (pre-ride)

1 banana (mid-ride)

watermelon, a few spoonfuls of pb

cherries

a few tofu dogs, 1 cob of corn, a few more beer (another bbq!)

1 piece bread with pb & jam, banana, some more spoonfuls of pb (was SUPER hungry)

I agree with you. You have come a long way especially in your running and endurance training. Im so proud of you. You shouldn't need a gel unless your out for more than two hours. Then you should start needed them. But you don't need them because you feel hungry. Im surprised you say you feel hungry when running. I really almost wonder if it isnt dehydration and you are feeling that. I don't really see you post anything for electrolytes. Do you have a source of them? That or the fat? Althought I did some some PB that last two days! NICE!

Hmm, no, no specific source of electrolytes. I went to the health food store to see if they had some coconut water but they were out. I hate that place, they'll be out of stock of something for months before they order it back in again. I should probably go pick up some salt tabs or something.

Monday, June 21st:

Hill repeats!

1.1 mile run to hill (11:40)

Hill #1 (2:20)

Hill #2 (2:15)

Hill #3 (2:15)

Hill #4 (2:11)

Hill #5 (2:22)

1.21 mile run home (11:59)

Walked downhills.

In total: 4.25 miles (50:25)

Food so far:

banana (pre-run)

green smoothie with spinach, 2 bananas, strawberries, and protein (post-run)

apple

salad (romaine, tofu, nutritional yeast, dijon dressing)

pineapple

Thanks! It was fun! Never thought I would say that...

Tuesday, June 22nd:

1500 yd. swim (38 min.)

Meant to do 2000 yd. but my form started breaking down so I quit at 1500. The pool was quite crowded. Instead of getting flustered and losing my balance I kept it together and ended up going faster than usual - yay!

30 min. misc. commuting around on my beater bike.

Ended up signing up for a half marathon this Saturday!! It was either that or wait until November. I am pretty sure I can finish it no problem. Last Sat. I ran 11 miles so 13 shouldn't be an issue. I'm not setting a time goal, I just want to finish.

EDIT: Forgot to mention...weighed myself yesterday. I'm about 8 lbs heavier than I was 2 months ago. BUT, jeans that I could barely do up 2 months ago fit perfectly now. I haven't been doing much weight training, so I fail to see how I gained that much muscle. Whatever, I really don't care what the scale says, I care more about how clothes fit/how I look...but I thought it was kind of weird.

whoo hoo lobster - you can def do the 13 miler this weekend. I am running that on sunday myself! I actually weigh a lot more than people think I do. Its the muscle for sure. My clothes are a small or a size 4/6 so I don't even care what I weigh either. I can't wait to hear about your race!

Wednesday, June 23rd:

35 min. misc. commuting throughout the day on beater bike (~6.5 miles)

Went out for ride in evening to scout some photography locations (13.42 miles, 1:18:13) - on beater bike

green smoothie (spinach, protein, 2 bananas, strawberries)

cauliflower soup

pineapple

kasha-chickpea salad

strawberries

2 bananas, glass of soymilk

Finally feel like my eating is getting back on track.

Ended up taking a rest day yesterday. Crazy day.

Friday, June 25th:

Short 3.05 mile run to get limbered up for tomorrow! 29:32

30 min. misc. commuting today on my beater bike

Taking it easy tonight. A bit worried about what the heck I've gotten myself into but ah well.

banana, soymilk + protein

lentil curry, kale chips

grapes, bananas

brown rice pasta with tomato, spinach, and avocado

apple, more grapes

popcorn

Saturday, June 26th:

Half marathon!

Hadn't really been training for this...it was a spur of the moment decision to register.

Actually followed my strategy of starting out slow...was at the back of the pack and lots of people zoomed by me but I kept on trucking slow but steady. I picked up my speed toward the end and passed quite a few people.

I don't have the official time, but my Garmin tells me 2:11:44. I forgot to turn off my Garmin the moment I finished, it took me a few seconds to remember. I don't have my split times, but it was most definitely a negative split.

Had Gatorade at some of the aid stations. I couldn't find my own salt tabs. I need to get that sorted out though and figure out a system that works for me. I don't really want to have to use things such as sports drinks, too much junk in them. Anyway, the Gatorade kept me nice and hydrated. I stopped at a lot of the aid stations early on and skipped the ones that were later in the race.

All in all I'm happy with my performance. I averaged 10:03/mile, which sounds about right.

Call me crazy but I'm considering doing a full marathon on October 31st in San Jose. Not 100% decided yet but I would have 4 months to get from 13.1 miles to 26.2. I think that's doable.

Maybe it's just the post-race endorphins making me insane.

Glad you were able to follow your race plan and have a sucessful effort! So happy for you! I always forget to shut off my watch too. There should be a sign at the finish that says. Stop you watch! I think it was good decision that you had some gatorade over not having some you need the elctrolytes. I think you should be really happy with your effort and if you want to go for the full marathon you should do it. Nice work! Enjoy your success today!

Thanks Mary! That means a lot coming from a super hero like you!

I'm still kind of in shock that I managed to run a half marathon. A couple of months ago I barely finished a 10K.

Sunday, June 27th:

12.56 mile recovery ride (59:42)

Took it really slow and kept it an easy gear. My legs were sooo tired. But they felt loads better afterward.

banana

watermelon

veggies & hummus, stole a couple of my husband's french fries

a few pieces licorice

bean soup, baked tortilla chips with guacamole

strawberries

blueberries + banana + soy milk + cinnamon

Monday, June 28th:

Had an evening bike ride planned. Ended up going for walk instead with the husband.

watermelon, peach

pineapple

2 bananas

baked beans, veggies + hummus, baked potato

pineapple

Tuesday, June 29th:

3 mile run (25:37)

Had an evening bike ride planned but it is SUPER windy! I am pretty sure I would get blown away.

pineapple

giant salad with romaine, chickpeas, onion, bell pepper, radish, celery, cucumber, nutritional yeast, and dijon dressing; cherries

apple

grilled tofu, zucchini, eggplant, corn; 1 beer

pineapple