Please criticize a bit my diet :)

gee

Hey,

so since I switched to a Vegan diet I started eating a lot more of certain things and I would to make sure I am going in the right direction

I mostly eat non sweetened / hydrogenized / processed / any other bad word food from whole food, but for lunch I get it at work...

Things I eat a lot that I believe are good: bananas, frozen mixed berries, frozen pineapple chunks, spinach, kale, crushed flax, hemp powder / brown rice protein powder / pea protein powder, maca, ginseng powder, dates, soaked almonds, sprouted beans, sprouted peas, sprouted lentils, apples, broccoli, cider vinegar, oranges, grapefruits, mangoes, pineapples, red grapes, carrots, cauliflower, red cabbage, tomatoes, onions.

Things I eat a lot that I am not really sure: grapefruit juice (not sweetened, not from concentrate), rolled oats (it is cooked I believe, so not raw and full of nutrients / enzymes no?), any whole wheat/rye/rice/else bread / pasta (again cooked stuff), lentils, beans, coconut oil, sesame oil, olive oil, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sprouted-soy based tofu, normal tofu, seitan, hummus, unsweetened apple sauce (I love it unlike apples), mochi (some japanese rice-based yummy food).

Things which are probably not so good: soy dogs, agave-nectar ketchup (it looks hardly sweetened, like 1 g per table spoon, so why would that be bad?).

And probably some more that I cannot think of right now

By the way, why is tofu almost always deep-fried when I eat out, damn it!

Thanks

People, I feel, are overly critical of cooked foods. Some foods are actually more nutritious when cooked, it's not always the end of the world. That being said, fruits and veggies are still key!

I don't see anything too horrific except the sweetened hydrogenated stuff (shame!), but it's so easy to bring a lunch with you, since most fruit is pretty inherently portable, and other good stuff can be easily tossed in a tupperware on your way out the door in the morning.

You have good protein sources that aren't all soy, which is a good thing! Many vegans eat nothing but soy, which can't be good.

You have a pretty good plant based diet, don't beat yourself up over some cooked foods or an occasional serving of fried tofu.

hmm, well part of my plan was first to switch to veganism, then to the raw diet as it is supposed to be healthier.

Was- I wrong there?

As for the "sweetened hydrogenated stuff", I don't eat any of that, unless again it is at work and then I don't know too much what's in there, but the salad bar is pretty organic so hopefully...

I always bring some nuts and fruits for snacks time, but nothing for lunch, although I am thinking of it a bit...

Thank you for the comment

I think bringing your own lunch to work would be a great idea. I bring fruits and veggies to work and that's fine for me. If it's a longer shift I'll bring a jar of green smoothie too.

You're not wrong to consider going raw as the next step in your veganism. There are just a lot of view points out there as to whether or not you get the most nutrition by eating your food in its natural state. Some people swear by it, some people don't. I personally do. haha. There are a ton of people on the forum that are raw foodies: myself, leanandgreen, tasha, and I think Rainra. I'm sure there are many others I'm forgetting. I'd recommend trying it out for two weeks to a month and seeing how you feel about it afterwards. Before I tried it, the idea scared the hell out of me, but then my girlfriend got me to try it for a week and it was simply amazing. That was a year ago. So, the important thing I think is to find out what works for you and stick with it.

Your list of "good foods" is amazing. It's making me hungry! And I just finished eating a pound of sprouted lentils!

Later!

Thanks Mikkei for the reply.

If you eat raw, do you sprout grains and legumes ? or do you 'just' eat fruits,veggies and nuts?

I will try that later on, but I have to say it kind of scares me to get protein from apples and bananas

I soak my almonds too, but I have not sprouted anything (well I tried with flax seeds and it was such a mess I ended up throwing them to the garbage).

Any guide on that?

Oooh, flax seeds sound tricky. I've never actually tried that. Small things like that are pretty hard, I tried quinoa for the first time a couple of weeks ago and it was pretty tricky. For bigger things like lentils and buckwheat I soak them for 6-8 hours, then put them in a colander because you'll want to keep them very well drained. Then I just rinse them off every 6 hours or so. I'll definitely let you know if I find a good way to sprout flax. Probably have to ask LeanandGreen to see if he's done it.

OK I think I am dropping the not so natural stuff like Seitan, soy dogs and stuff, for more beans, more nuts, more grains.

And hopefully in time I'll try raw, but for now I'll cook some of these (more than 50% of my food should soon come raw_.