want to cut fat

I'm between 6' and 6'1" 180lbs skinny fat. Somehow I wear size 34 pants but I've definitively got love handles and no six-pack, and flabby butt and the back of my upper arm is a bit flabby too. I'm not vegan as of now, but I really want to go for it because of many reasons (primary health reasons, but some ethical too). I eat a lot of vegetarian food (tofu, vegetables, almond milk instead of regular milk, fruit, nuts, etc) and there's been times when I go for weeks with no meat, but still eat eggs (if somebody could suggest another low-carb high-protein breakfast option, I'll definitively discontinue eating eggs, especially if said substitute is low-cholesterol too). So, I am a student, trying to cut some fat. I've done boxing for a bit, but saw little to no result, and will have to stop for the summer because I will be studying abroad in Europe, and only recently added weightlifting to my latest routine (not the first time I've done lifting, though. Just this time around I started doing boxing, running and bodyweight exercises only until 2 weeks ago when I added weights to it. I think the lack of heavy weight lifting and a less-than-perfect diet might be why I'm still skinny-fat despite working out very hard and being in pretty good shape endurance and strength-wise). So I have a book on capoeira conditioning and will be doing those exercises over there, especially if I don't find a cheap gym with barbells.

I would like someone to tell me how to get started on a vegan diet. I'm willing to do some cooking (I'd prefer stuff that doesn't take more than 20 minutes cooking) and all. Lifting-wise I've been doing Rippetoe's starting strength (full of compound exercises), so I think I've got that part down, but I definitively need help with diet. Thanks for your help, in advance.

Start incorporating some brown rice in your diet as a carb for energy and recovery. Have it instead of bread, pasta, or potato. And eat it with lots of vegetables (a stirfry rice dish), and then top it with a tofu or even cashews for your protein source.

For breakfast, a good high protein option is scrambled tofu, for which there are a million good recipes online! Also, tempeh can be breakfasty, look for tempeh "bacon" recipies.

Normally I would avoid processed stuff, but as a student in a hurry I get that sometimes there's no time! For that, there are lots of good frozen meals, and pre-flavored tofu. Canned beans and legumes are also easy protein sources.

Hope this is some help!

You're making the right decision by going vegan!

Scrambled tofu for breakfast!! It's great. If you don't have time for that, a lot of people go for smoothies with protein powder instead. I really can't recommend enough getting a vegan cookbook and going from there. My friend got me this a few years back when I first went vegan: http://www.amazon.com/Students-Go-Vegan-Cookbook-Recipes/dp/0307336530 It's pretty helpful for a student eating alone without a lot of prep time, and there aren't any crazy ingredients to try and hunt down. Try to crowd animal products out of your diet, not cut them out. Think of a meal you want (ie, scrambled eggs) and figure out a replacement (scramble tofu!).

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your replies. I will look up tofu scramble recipes.

Also, what should I eat if I get an injury, for instance... I haven't been training this week (because I have a pretty bad skin injury on my knee) and was told to eat red meat, but I find it hard to believe that there isn't a vegan substitute for that... I'm not talking about taste, but about protein amount and how readily absorbable that protein is.