Steroids?? Let people use them? what are your view's?

they should be free to do what they want  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Same evidence doesn't prove that roid rage doesn't exist then either.
I think "roid rage" is a creation of media sensationalism. I think that was mentioned in the video. The issue of the "roid rage" fallacy was addressed in Bigger, Stronger, Faster.

Is steroid use a victimless crime? I think that because major sports are such huge industries that create role models, that the actions of those role models have profound effects on society. These people's lives are saying "I'm a big success, I have fame & money, & you do it by taking these drugs." One could argue that this is consistent across society as elective drug use is widespread & in many cases endorsed by the FDA & drug corporations.

But there is an inherent contradiction here. Competitive sports are conveyed to children as a path to well being, and ideally that path exists throughout our lifetimes. If the most heralded practitioners of each sport are using performance enhancing drugs, then the message that sports are a path to well being becomes somewhat hollow. If competitive sports were characterized as any other career path then this contradiction would not exist, but there is a large element of society that puts sports stars on a pedestal. In this situation the victims are the young athletes who look up to those stars, because to achieve that level of excellence set for them as an ideal, they must do things that are probably quite unhealthy for them.

I don't have kids of my own or know much of the side effects of steroid use. I also believe in personal responsibility. Despite what I don't know IMHO the pervasiveness of the sports industry through mass media is going to cause people to make some mistakes with steroids, and I think these mistakes would be more widespread if their use was regulated.

Edited by Dub

On a sidenote, I don't agree with the view that steroid users should pay their own medical bill. The same kind of thinking might as well be applied to anything: people who drink, people who do drive too fast, people who do mountainbiking, or any other sport. I'm in favour for a free public healthcare system that let's everyone get the treatment they need.

See, that's the part I get torn on, though I lean toward the side of accountability for one's actions by saying that, if you want to partake in something that could harm you, then you shouldn't expect to be taken care of by everyone else just because you want instant gratification. Taking steroids isn't like doing an activity that has far more positive benefit than negative for most people who use (as with any form of fitness activity, there's risk, but it just isn't the same as taking performance-enhancing drugs to boost your level in a chosen activity). It's just how I think that it's unfair that my insurance premiums get boosted to compensate for people who don't care about their bodies and smoke, drink to excess often, do hard drugs with damaging effects, etc. Sure, if there was nationalized "free" healthcare (I put free in quotes, as it's never "free" as someone, somewhere is paying for it in a different way), it'd be a bit different. But, I pay a LOT for my insurance, and I do get irritated with the concept that many people simply expect that those of us who DO care about taking proper care of ourselves should just foot their bills through our paying higher premiums. It can never really be fair to everyone, but I still don't like the concept of my having to spend a lot more just because other people don't care what happens to their bodies and figure that somehow, the tab will get picked up regardless. I feel the same way for lifelong smokers who won't be able to afford care for health problems due to their choice to smoke their whole lives despite knowing the harm it does, people who get their weight up to 500+ lbs. who don't wish to improve their health by losing weight and end up with diabetes, high blood pressure, etc., and so forth.

Here's a prime situation that explains my grief with making stupid choices and expecting to be treated well for it. Say that two people need kidney transplants. One is a teenager with renal failure from a hereditary disorder whose kidneys fail for no fault of their own actions - that's just what was going to happen regardless. Then, person #2 is a former competitive BB'er who spent 2 decades flooding their system with countless harmful substances for steroids, diuretics, synthol, etc. who develops kidney failure from years of abusing their body with performance-enhancing drugs. Now, it isn't possible for everyone who needs a kidney to get one in time before they might die from complications, but if person #2 ended up on the list a week before the teenager who needed it, they'd likely be getting the kidney first even though they caused their own problems. In my eyes, that's flawed in how someone who has a self-inflicted condition could beat out (and potentially lead to the demise of) someone who really needs it for what I consider a better reason, just because they got there first. That's why I have less and less empathy for those who choose the path that can cause them more problems down the line.

And, as usual, I go off track, but just clarifying my stance a bit on why I don't have much empathy for those who choose to do things known to be harmful yet cry foul when they have to pay the price. As I get older, I get both angry and sad about people's lack of accountability for their actions. I can't stand that so many people choose to only worry about today and don't think twice about how their actions will affect them negatively later on, and how it affects the lives of others as well. But, welcome to the modern world, where it's getting to be an "every person for themselves" attitude that's becoming the norm...