will I have you at "hello" ?

steffapeppa40

Hi all---

I might as well come right out and say it....I'm (gulp) 40.

I certainly don't act it.... thankfully, I don't feel it...and I don't want to look it (yet).

First off, I turned vegetarian at 15, and went on to veganism at around age 24. I did so for ethical

reasons but health was always important to me as well.

I considered myself an athlete growing up -I played soccer since I was 9- I even won the Phys Ed Medal at my H.S. graduation so others must have

thought me to be athletic too...BUT, even though I might

have next to 0 physical activity for months and months at a time(years maybe?) , I STILL falsely think of myself as some sort

of an athlete. I look around at other people in my age group and think-"hey, compared to _____, I'm not

so bad, really."

A real problem.

Once I get motivated and moving, I am certainly healthier and happier...and my body actually starts to catch up

with my active imagination.

The same thing goes for eating patterns. I have learned that being vegan does not necessarily equal optimum health (but it easily can)

and I have had periods of eating very very healthfully

and then I slip a little here and there and it gradually I'm eating a vegan sugary dessert after each meal and I have gained 15 pounds without

hardly noticing...(what the? those damned pants must have shrunk!)

The last time I felt really good about my body was 2 1/2 years ago when my husband and I went on a fast (I've done them before) and we

started eating as alkaline a diet as we could. I was mostly walking (some running), using a trampoline 4-5 x's a week for 30-45 minutes,

and using 10 lb weights once in a while.

I believe I got down to about 128 lbs.( I am 5' 7 1/2"). I don't know what my body fat % is.

Well, as time slipped into the future, I slowly lost my focus and recently found myself to be at about 143 and just out

of shape in general....and yes, 40.

BTW-

Problem areas are my thighs and butt....(too big)...and upper body (too small).

WHERE I'M AT NOW:

I've been taking steps for the past 3 weeks to get back into shape....shed some fat,

gain some muscle and just gain that overall feeling of strength, control, confidence, and well-being.

I started doing something that is so completely foreign to me...working out to a dvd program.

I won't even say what it is because this is NOT an advert.

After 3 weeks of struggling, I do see results. I have lost around 5-6 lbs.

I already gained some muscle mass in my arms and shoulders and the abs are

coming along I guess. Pants are fitting better too....hmmm I guess I didn't shrink them after all!

I am doing this regime with my husband (also a vegan of 15 years) so that helps a lot with motivation. Just

thought some outside help and inspiration from you guys couldn't hurt, right?

More lofty goals:

I want to be able to do a pull-up for the first time ever. Okay, might as well say unassisted pull-ups. I am doing them now with the help

of a chair.

I may even want to start doing roller derby and actually be competing in a sport again after all of these years!

"Before and After Pics" I'll post in a few weeks for critiquing

Hey, it's really cool to be here-

s

Edited by steffapeppa40

Welcome!

Judging by your avatar you look great. Looking forward to seeing those before & after pics!

Also, I always have to compliment those who have been vegan for really long time! Big up!

Thanks!

I'm looking forward to seeing and being those pics too!

I still feel like I'm stuck in the "before".

I will post pics in a month I'd say.

Wow, you must have a great plastic surgeon. Any chance you could say who you use? I'll be needing one myself soon, and am willing to travel.

I'm taking this as a complement--thanks.

I'll be honest and say I take like 15 pictures I hate until I get one I kinda like. Yeah digital technology!