So, usually I wake up in the morning and have a green smoothie that consist of

1-2 cups Romain leaves

4 tbsp hemp seeds

1 tbsp flax

1 banana

5-6 dates

1 cup of water.

which in total is about 21 grams protein, 632.84 calories, and 58.83 carbs

Then I wait for one hour, and then go to the gym and train.

- My question is, Is it a good Idea or a bad Idea to have this amount of protein, calories, and carbs before strength training? I figure if all of it was process in a smoothie like form, it would be easier for my body to digest and it would help with my training.

OH! I have another question too,

-What is the protein to carbs ratio? is it 1 protein to 4 carbs (1:4)? or 1 protein to 3 carbs(1:3)?

Thanks for your time

Danny, what I've read is it's best to have a meal low on glycemic load before training, since it sends energy steadily to your bloodstream, instead of sending it all by once - wich can cause weakness, dizzyness and fainting(!).

Your pre workout shake seems pretty good, though I'd eat something solid before and a shake after the training. I'd also leave the banana for after you train, and blend a pear or apple instead.

Most believe it's best to have 2g protein and 3-4g of carbs per kilogram of bodyweight a day. I'd like Robert to correct me if I'm wrong, I think I've heard Jay Cutler eats 1000g carbs a day when he's off season.

Smoothies are great in many ways, specially if you want to gain weight. It seems like a good pre workout "meal" but I prefer solid food, however since you workout just 1 hour after the meal I get why you want it liquid.

What is the protein to carbs ratio? is it 1 protein to 4 carbs (1:4)? or 1 protein to 3 carbs(1:3)?

I have no idea what you mean by this question? Is it related to your smoothie recipe or is it a "what's optimal in general?". If it's the latter the answer is that there is no such "ratio". I know people who eat no carbs and those who eat 1:8-1:1 etc. It depends very much on your calorie needs. Protein is good to keep around 2 grams per kg bodyweight even though this certainly isn't a must. The rest of your caloric needs should be from fat and carbs and the amount totally depends on your goals (bulking, cutting or maintaining).

Looks pretty good, how does it make you feel during your workout? I used to have something similar when I did morning workouts, though I used strawberries and bananas instead of dates and bananas. If you are having trouble I'd try dropping the dates, as they get metabolized quickly and might cause you to sugar-crash during the workout. I also didn't appreciate their laxative effect. Bananas should be fine due to the high fructose content.

You don't strictly need to have a smoothie to get the food into you body quickly... at least for me an hour before working out is enough time to get plenty of energy from solids yet have it digested enough that I don't feel like puking.

If you want to try solids, go for some complex carbs like oatmeal. I lift in the afternoon now so I'm eating a good portion of rice or pasta an hour before working out (paired with a significant protein).

Lately I've been having a 'light' smoothie (just banana and soymilk) about 5 minutes before a workout. I've felt quite good doing this but I still wonder whether this is too short before the workout and, if so, why?

I began to do this after reading about the positive effects (in terms of muscle gaining) of having a higher level of aminoacids in the bloodstream while working out. My bad that I haven't checked the science behind this but it sounded reasonable. Does any of you have any data and/or arguments for or against this position?

Lately I've been having a 'light' smoothie (just banana and soymilk) about 5 minutes before a workout. I've felt quite good doing this but I still wonder whether this is too short before the workout and, if so, why?

Yes

It takes longer than 5 minutes to digest that. You need blood circulating to your muscles, not your digestive system.

If one is already in a hypercaloric diet in at least a weekly basis , i dont think that one really needs to have something right before workout or an hour before..in a hypercaloric diet you already eat much that body is all of the time in a situation trying to digest the food, you dont want to add more before working out, you'll feel sleepy during the lifting cause all blood will be in the stomach..there is no way that in a diet with more calories than those spended someone will be left with no energy to lift...i'd prefer to eat more after the workout while resting in front of the pc ..