Was Jesus vegan when HE was on earth?

violet13

I believe that Jesus was a vegetarian. Somewhere I read not that long ago, that people who were in Europe came to the area and they were meat eaters mainly with alcohol dependancies. That he cured them was a miracle because he is the Christ, from the Bible, but I think they had a more vegetarian diet there.

This post really doesn't make any sense.

Without getting into a wholke religious debate (since that was done on the "Is God vegan" thread), I think that what Jesus ate 2000 years ago in a Mediteranean (spelling?) fishing community is totally irrelevant to what followers of Jesus (and others) should eat today.

The bottom line is really very simple to me: If Jesus was as compassionate and loving as we are told by Christianity, then I think it must follow that if he were alive on earth today he would be vegan, since we are blessed with an abundance of vegan food and dont need to consume animal produce.

Put it another way: If animals could talk, and one was pleading to jesus for his life saying "Please dont eat me, please spare my life", then I think he would opt for the veggie burger, instead of looking the sobbing animal in the eye and saying "Sorry sucker, your ass is mine. yum yum." That just doesnt jive with the image of jesus as is described by Christianity.

How could the "Prince of Peace" condone an inherently violet act, and/or have bloodlust in his tastebuds? And all killing is inherently violent, no matter how "humanely" it is done.

And I dont think that Jesus would hold the fact that animals dont have the voice to beg and plead against them!

a very quick and unelaborated two cents.

Edited by compassionategirl

I am not a religious person (I have never read the bible) although I am from a catholic family. I remember seeing the picture of "the last supper" & I recall there being no meat on the table. Wine & bread is what I remember.

Anyhow, my guess would be that he was a vegetarian. I say this because if he was here to promote love & compassion why would he injure a creature that his father created? Also, a creature who's goal in life is to live & survive.

I am not a religious person (I have never read the bible) although I am from a catholic family. I remember seeing the picture of "the last supper" & I recall there being no meat on the table. Wine & bread is what I remember.

Anyhow, my guess would be that he was a vegetarian. I say this because if he was here to promote love & compassion why would he injure a creature that his father created? Also, a creature who's goal in life is to live & survive.

Keep in mind that the painting was made some 1500 years after Jesus' alleged life and death. Also the artist himself (DaVinci) was a vegetarian, so really I would attribute the lack of meat in the painting as artistic license more than any sort of historical accuracy.

Anyhow' date=' my guess would be that he was a vegetarian. I say this because if he was here to promote love & compassion why would he injure a creature that his father created? Also, a creature who's goal in life is to live & survive.[/quote']

Keep in mind that the painting was made some 1500 years after Jesus' alleged life and death. Also the artist himself (DaVinci) was a vegetarian, so really I would attribute the lack of meat in the painting as artistic license more than any sort of historical accuracy.

But also keep in mind it was reputed that he was part of the Essenes, who were a vegetarian Christian sect.

Anyhow' date=' my guess would be that he was a vegetarian. I say this because if he was here to promote love & compassion why would he injure a creature that his father created? Also, a creature who's goal in life is to live & survive.[/quote']

But also keep in mind it was reputed that he was part of the Essenes, who were a vegetarian Christian sect.

The original Essenes were a Jewish sect. I've never read or seen anything about Jesus being one though.

The original Essenes were a Jewish sect. I've never read or seen anything about Jesus being one though.

Granted they may have been Jewish people as were Jesus and all of the 12 disciples, but they were in on the beginning of Christianity. Here's a link for the Essenes. Also, there was a Nazarene sect of the Essenes. Here's a 3rd link regarding Jesus being an Essene.

PETA and others who claim the Essenes were vegetarians often cite this article http://www.archaeology.org/9905/newsbriefs/vege.html . Basically it says that no animal bones were found in the Essene dwellings in a village in southern Jerusalem, but 4000 animal bones were found in other parts of the village. These findings don't prove anything conclusively though. It could mean that Essenes didn't eat animals, or it could mean that Essenes ate animals but were careful not to discard animal bones near their home.