traps are killing me

Hi all

I find that when I do certain exercises, my trapezius muscles can really start to hurt. If i don't stop and instead attempt to push through, I frequently wind up with terrible neck cramps for a week or more. The kind that take me completely out of my routine. I usually just stop, but once or twice a year, I won't stop in time and I pay for it dearly. Last time i dragged myself to an emergency med place where they shot me up with an anti-inflammatory and gave me skelaxin (because i refused to take valium/oxy/whatever opiates they were pushing)

I'd prefer to be able to do these exercises as they're fairly useful. Primarily, they include military press w/ dumbells and butterflies on a machine, but most exercises that involve my traps can do it. I can do these exercises at lower weight with no problem, but when i add on more weight, my neck starts to bother me (even though the primary muscles are able to do it)

Secondly, What are the ramifications of taking ibuprofen and/or a non-opiate muscle relaxant like skelaxin on body building?

any suggestions as to what i can do about this?

Do you have any problems with Krav Maga.

Seeing someone who has professional knowledge would be the first thing to do.

I'm guessing, guessing mind you, that it could be a pinched nerve issue, the cause of which could be several. One thing you might want to look at is the position of you head/neck when performing said exercises, as this can cause injury to the neck that is usually expressed in the surrounding tissue. Also posture can play an important roll in neck pain, leading to things like spondylitis as time goes bye. Spondylitis is basically a calcification of the neck vertebrae, due to a response to extra stress on the bone because of improper alignment of the spine as in poor posture. Which will reduce the space that the nerves of the neck pass through, and increase pressure which will cause damage swelling and pain, until the swelling goes down. Also might want to look into neck strengthening exercises and stretching.

Last time i had this problem was the day after i gave blood, so i'm wondering it might be a dehydration thing. Not enough points of data to correlate, of course...

I thought these symptoms were the results of what you first stated???

I find that when I do certain exercises, my trapezius muscles can really start to hurt. If i don't stop and instead attempt to push through,

That was the most recent time -- and it was after i worked out and gave blood. Previous times were from just working out.

The more minor events that i can just shake off if i stop doing the exercise are every time i do it, like butterflies...