chains & bands

wondering if anyone else used any accommodating resistance with their weights? i use jumpstretch bands on my speed days to overload the resistance at the top of the lift. this way i can teach my body to explode out of the bottom position with the added resistance at the top to overload and slow down the lift. for example on my last speed squat workout i used 185 lbs of weight and aprx 120 lbs of band tension at tthe top and aprx 80 lbs in the hole. so the total resistance is about 265 on the box and goes up to around 305 at the top. doesn't sound like too much of a difference, but its where i want it to be to develop explosive strength. here are some articles if you are interested.

http://deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/ls15.htm

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=body_127resist

http://www.jumpstretch.com/

I'd like to add bands to my bench. What do you recommend I buy, Wannalift? I've locked out 455 but probably can only bench maybe 255 right now. A couple of lights? Or maybe a single average?

They just go from one side of the bar to underneath the bench then to the other side of the bar, right? I really like the idea of hitting the lockout part somewhat at the same time I'm working my weakest part (the middle part).

actually, i made a mistake. my bands are from ironwoody and i bought them from here. http://powerliftingstore.com/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=b0dac257be09e7f1ae788f9572ffbf91

i bought the starter set 1-3 bands. you only need the lightest ones for bench, the mini's (we have a 700 lb bencher who uses the lightest bands). you actually double them up over a a heavy dumbbell that is securely achored or onto a powerrack so they are a little heavier than advertised.

they come in sets and we just use one band per side. but like i said, we wrap them over twice so the band is under considerable tension and doubled up. there are different ways to load them as you can attach them to the top of a power rack to deload the weight at the bottom of a bench or for doing a reverse band deadlift.

i use the #3 bands for squatting, so you could actaully get a way with only buying those 2 sets of bands. i would still recommend buying the starter set though. the jumpstretch are good too, i just went with ironwoody's because that's what i saw first.

bands are awesome. such a great way to take your lifting into a new direction. if you lift by youself, definitely use a power rack as it can be real dangerous at first. especially on the squat.

awesome. i suggest you start a 2x a week bench program that models a westside workout. check out westsidebarbell.com and read some of the articles on the conjugate method, speed work, and max effort work. you can also use the bands for tons of different exercises like overhead press, ab work, arm work, etc. hope you have as much fun as i do with them. also hope your back is getting better.

awesome. i suggest you start a 2x a week bench program that models a westside workout. check out westsidebarbell.com and read some of the articles on the conjugate method, speed work, and max effort work. you can also use the bands for tons of different exercises like overhead press, ab work, arm work, etc. hope you have as much fun as i do with them. also hope your back is getting better.

Yeah I know their training pretty well. Maybe I'll get around to that at some point. I lift at home and alone right now so ME day just isn't going to happen.

Back is OK as long as I don't try to squat to parallel. Think my femurs are just too long.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got those bands. I really like the way they feel. I got two of the 5 to 35 pounds bands I think it was. I just strapped each to one side of the bar, underneath the bench, then back up to the other side of the bar. A single one isn't enough resistance, but two feels pretty good. I wonder if that will hit my tris more than dips....? I'm trying to hit just a couple exercises with high volume. I was going to do military presses, chins, and then some dips. Not sure but I'm wondering again about doing benches with bands instead of dips. It's strange but the lockout being harder makes the bottom and middle feel lighter than I think it normally would...?

Finally got those bands. I really like the way they feel. I got two of the 5 to 35 pounds bands I think it was. I just strapped each to one side of the bar, underneath the bench, then back up to the other side of the bar. A single one isn't enough resistance, but two feels pretty good. I wonder if that will hit my tris more than dips....? I'm trying to hit just a couple exercises with high volume. I was going to do military presses, chins, and then some dips. Not sure but I'm wondering again about doing benches with bands instead of dips. It's strange but the lockout being harder makes the bottom and middle feel lighter than I think it normally would...?

glad you like them. here is how i load mine: put a heavy dumbell under where the bar will be when you unrack it. make sure the dumbbells will not move. take one band and loop it around the part where the collar and bar meet. pull the band under the handle of the dumbell and loop it around the collar again. it should be REAL tight. repeat for the ohter side and you should be in business. there are many ways to load it, but i believe that one gets the max tension out of the band unlees you quad it. try using bands for dips and overhead as well.

there is a reason why it feels lighter in the middle. and i'm not just talking about band tension. there is more kinetic energy driving down on you than with no bands. this recoil type effect is what creates the explosiveness at the bottom of the lift. not sure if i explained it right, but you can read about chains & bands in the westide articles and louie explains it a lot better there.