Krav Maga

Anyone here tried it? What you're opinion of it?

I've been planning to take up a martial art this summer for fun, and the 3 frontrunners have been Muy Thai, BJJ, and Krav Maga. KM seems easier to learn, and doesn't require nearly as much flexibility (I don't know if I could ever get my knee to the head of a taller person in a Muy Thai clinch), but it also lacks much of the "art" side of martial arts.

Just wondering if anyone has anything interesting to say on the subject

I take Combat Hapkido and we incorporate some KM into what we do. Krav Maga is not an art as much as it is a science. It is cold, hard, and meant to cripple or kill. Very serious bis. If you want to do something for fun, I'd recommend BJJ. If you're trying to get some street techniques worked out, I'd go with KM.

Thanks for the input. I think I'd like to learn KM for the sake of feeling more safe, though BJJ is something I'd like to start when I feel I'll be able to do it regularly for a long time (in the next couple of years, I'll be moving around every few weeks, which would make attending regular lessons difficult).

TBH, be very careful when it comes to Krav. An instructor certification can be obtained for Krav in literally one weekend at a seminar. Do you want to train under someone who spent two days learning techniques that you might have to entrust your life to? You should either plan to train in something else entirely, or make damn sure you've got a good instructor for Krav. Krav is kinda a pyramid scheme in the martial arts world. Just be careful dude.

TBH, be very careful when it comes to Krav. An instructor certification can be obtained for Krav in literally one weekend at a seminar. Do you want to train under someone who spent two days learning techniques that you might have to entrust your life to? You should either plan to train in something else entirely, or make damn sure you've got a good instructor for Krav. Krav is kinda a pyramid scheme in the martial arts world. Just be careful dude.

I've heard a bit about this. I looked at the schools in my city, and only one school is certified by the IKMF. The instructor is a black belt in both kyokushin and chito-kan karate, and did his instructor training with 4 of the highest-level trainers in Canada and Israel, and has to be re-certified yearly in person by one of the few Master-level trainers in order to maintain his IKMF certification, so I trust that he's the real deal.