When to make changes to routine

FormicaLinoleum

I have been lifting weights since June '06 and I have been doing a single set all of that time. I have been doing the same three weekly routines since Sept '06.

I'm wondering how one know when it is time to make changes. When you get bored? When you don't seem to be making progress anymore? Every specific period of time?

I'm perfectly happy with my routine, but I want to make sure I'm not being counterproductive by sticking to it too long. This is especially so because I have a workout buddy who also does the routine I draw up so I want to make sure I'm not giving her bad info.

Thanks!

I'm wondering how one know when it is time to make changes. When you get bored?

Yes, better change something than start to slack or leaving workouts out.

When you don't seem to be making progress anymore?

Definitely then.

Every specific period of time?

No, not when you're still having fun and making progress.

After a while (~1-3 months) you can change the exercises if you wish.

I wouldn't change sets, reps, split etc. when you're still content with the progress you make.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

If you need a change for another reason, injury, new time schedule or something, the whole plan can be adjusted.

But i can't see a reason to change it up just to have changed it up.

• 1 month later...

I think if you've been doing one set for a while, you won't need much adaptation to go harder. I'd increase to two sets with a weight you can do 12-15 without too much problem and gradually increase it from there. It's likely if you feel comfortable with one set at a certain weight you'd be able to do two sets. At that higher set repetition (and lesser weight) you run less risk of injury than if you threw on a huge weight increase, and you'll be able to know you can do the workout.