Vegan Hollywood...

_raVen_

What do you think, if anything,these folks should do? Obviously, no one has to do anything,but, do you feel that the ethical vegans have a special obligation? should they play a more active role?

I was reminded of this this week, when I saw a taped exerpt of the "Ellen" show. Alicia Silverstone was a guest. What irritated me (tell me if I'm wrong) is that every time, including this time, I see her make an appearance and she is asked about veganism she rambles on about her garden, what she eats, and how great it makes her look. (I'm not knocking her; just trying to use an illustration for my frustration)

Now, I honestly have nothing against those things; I think they do help, but I would like to hear her at least mention the animals. Not one reference, not one.

I like to think if, geez, you've got millions of people watching all over the nation, why on earth would you not take that opportunity? How many of us would love a spot like that on tv?

Same with the other Hollywood vegans...are they more concerned with their contracts? with their sponsors? Why not just a mention?

Most of them, if they mention animals, do so in print. The only one I've actually heard talk about the animals almost every time she makes an appearance is Pamela Anderson. Whether or not she is the ideal spokesperson for animals... I'm just annoyed, I guess.

Why don't Hollywood vegans, say, get together -- maybe 10 or so -- each put in some cash and make a commercial, starring themselves, making statements about vivisection, farming, cruelty, reality, etc.? Heck, even individuals like myself would be willing to donate to a project like that for that kind of exposure. I'm sure it might be difficult if not impossible to get it aired (especially with these networks beholdened to the meat and dairy industries, corporations, etc.), but don't you think if they tried hard enough and made a big deal about it, it would at least lead to publicity? That in itself might be enough and the commercial would be moot. Hollywood, for all its obnoxiousness, could really do something with its influence. Do you think so? And it would take so little...compared to all the dedicated people who work long years...

I'm not pinning my hopes on hollywood or any other group, but perhaps I'm wrong to have expectations of a few?

I don't know, I guess I'm rambling.

Just say that if any of you ever become national celebrities you will at least acknowledge the animals.

If I ever become a big enough celebrity I'll make sure I represent the animals and veganism well enough to make most of you proud.

I do know what you mean, and I notice that too. I think sometimes the guests me be somewhat regulated on what they "should" talk about. But I'm not sure.

-Rob

Raven, I agree. If I were to suddenly become famous*, I would make it known I'm vegan & I would encourage questions about veganism & speak out about it.

I wonder if these people are concerned about alienating meaters & since their livelihood depends on being liked by a majority of people they remain silent.

*Since it's highly unlikely I will become famous, we must work on getting Robert famous!

Raven, I totally 100% know what you mean and feel the same way.

Just for the record though, Alec Baldwin actually lobbied Congress - showed them meetyourmeat. So he did more than just put it in "print." It was broadcast on a couple of those entertainment weekly type shows. This was probably about a few years back.

But other than that, ya, nothing. It frustrates me too. They have the potential to reach so many people, but I guess like Crispp said they have their livelihood's to worry about. I guess they dont have enough money saved in the bank (not easy saving money when you are only making $5 million dollars a movie ).

Another example is Joaquinn Phoenix. he appeared on so many shows promoting that Johny Cash movie and I never heard him speak about the animals and veganism ever, yet he is very compassionate in his own lifestyle. His brother River Phoenix was much more outspoken than he is apparently in promoting ar.

I wish people like celebs, who have easy access to the media and thus the ability to reach millions, would promote an ar message now and then!

What irritates me even more about Ellen Degeneris is that she used to be veggie because she "loves animals" apparently, but reverted to eating the objects of her alleged affection.

Maybe they are pressured to NOT go into any of the ethical reasons in public. They do depend on studios for their livelihood, and those studios depend on backing, and advertising, and boxoffice. And to get any of the sources of money too upset (I wonder how many production companies are somehow linked to the meat industry by some indirect means, at least?).

Woody Harrelson (sp?) is someone who speaks out, and look at his media image: a pretty whacky stoner who supports hemp (because he's a stoner, according to the image, and hemp is once again linked to illegal drugs and seen as something odd).

I think you are right about some of them, sinsisterkungfu. Those are the worst kind! It never lasts. I think Madonna did the same thing.

Oh, yea! Go robert! Haha. That would be great. I get the feeling you'd have no problem expressing that.

CrispyQ, I agree: Go robert!:blob3:

compassionategirl, you're right! I forgot about Alec. I must say, he isn't shy about it at all, though he doesn't really get interviewed often or asked about it. His ex, Kim Basinger, is also fairly vocal; but, again, where is she? lol. On another note, I think Alec Baldwin is underrated and underutilized by Hollywood -- he's a good actor and funny as hell.

Yes, Joaquin Phoenix is a great example. too bad he doesn't talk about it more. It seems to come up in a lot of print interviews, but hardly the tv ones. I guess I'd be paranoid to think, perhaps, it's being edited out ':confused2:

Oh, gee, Ellen? Really? That is disappointing. Imagine what she could do, having her own show?

I've always wondered why Oprah hasn't gone vegan. I mean, she likes to promote herself as this compassionate person and loves to go on diatribes bordering on proselytising and/or chastising. After all, she was involved in that free speech lawsuit with Howard Lyman -- how could she not know? Ignorance is no excuse. I must say, it especially irritates me, when she's exposing us to some horrible truth and says, "Now that you've been told, you cannot say you didn't know." Which places a sort of pressure on us to act - which is a good thing; So, I ask her the same: "Now that you know about the beef industry (and I assume the reality of same), what are *you* going to do?" She annoys me, really.

kathryn I think that does have something to do with it in some cases. Mustn't make folks uncomfortable, don't ya know.

And, I think woody is also sort of painted into that hippy corner, yes. That's too bad. He's a good actor, though, and raw (mostly)

I think you are right about some of them, sinsisterkungfu. Those are the worst kind! It never lasts. I think Madonna did the same thing.

Madonna used to wear anti-fur t-shirts...then wore fur a few years later (or maybe even the next year!)

Now, she goes fox hunting with her Brit hubby, from what I've read.

I don't think she has any stable ethical beliefs.

I've always wondered why Oprah hasn't gone vegan. I mean, she likes to promote herself as this compassionate person and loves to go on diatribes bordering on proselytising and/or chastising. After all, she was involved in that free speech lawsuit with Howard Lyman -- how could she not know? Ignorance is no excuse. I must say, it especially irritates me, when she's exposing us to some horrible truth and says, "Now that you've been told, you cannot say you didn't know." Which places a sort of pressure on us to act - which is a good thing; So, I ask her the same: "Now that you know about the beef industry (and I assume the reality of same), what are *you* going to do?" She annoys me, really.

Oprah annoys me for the exact same reasons! Apparently though when she announced on that fateful day that she would never touch another hamburger again and was later sued for it, she said that because she was concerned ONLY about the health aspects. I think it is safe and fair to say that Oprah doesnt give a flying f&&%ck about animals, except her own "puppies." Like you said, of course she knows about the cruelties of the meat industry - she has been contacted by animal advocay groups enough times about those details. Howard Lyman has personally informed her. Yet, not once - NOT ONCE - has she ever used her power to raise awareness about the cruelty of meat. Yet, like you say Raven, she is always selling herself as the one of the most compassionate and kind women in America. Yes, she does great work for human causes, but the fact that she thoughtlessly and callously chows down on chicken and fish s me! I gues her sense of gluttony and self-indulgence runs deeper than does her depth of compassion.

It is not even just that. She brags about her new "puppies". She bought 4 new puppies from a breeder. With the amount of money that woman has, she can help so many shelter dogs - especially since she claims to "love dogs" - what b** s***!!!

She has had on her show, more than once, a doctor, Dr. Oz, who is notorious for vivisecting DOGS (the objects of Oprah's affection!!!!!!!) at Columbia University! She has been informed of Dr. Oz's grizzly and gruesome torture of dogs, has been sent proof of it, but she continues to invite him back on her show, giving him positive publicity.

DOGS people - animals that Oprah claims to "llllllluuuuuvvvvvvvvvvvvv" so much.

It is really very sad. She could make such a huge difference for animals, yet she chooses to indulge her tastebuds instead.

The other thing that pisses me off: somebody with that kind of money could hire the best top vegan gourmet chefs of the world that could easily keep her taste buds satisfied the cruelty free way!

Uuugggghhhhh pathetic. It makes me want to puke.

It is really very sad. She could make such a huge difference for animals, yet she chooses to indulge her tastebuds instead.

I was thinking about this thread, and about how celebrities perhaps can't just say what they want and be assured of keeping a career, because there are media pressures. BUT, Oprah is probably the only media figure who could say almost anything she darn well pleases and not worry about getting pressure from the network, or being cancelled, etc. Heck, she owns her OWN network (Oxygen)!

Too bad that power can't be used for the good of the animals.

I have often heard that there are few African Americans involved in the animal rights movement, because, perhaps?, their own oppression is so recent (as far as the big picture is concerned) that they focus on that? I'm not quite sure what the reasoning is. And I'm sure it's just a gross generalization. But I don't quite understand. Obviously. (Sorry, brain fog, need to eat!).

I have often heard that there are few African Americans involved in the animal rights movement, because, perhaps?, their own oppression is so recent (as far as the big picture is concerned) that they focus on that? I'm not quite sure what the reasoning is. And I'm sure it's just a gross generalization. But I don't quite understand. Obviously. (Sorry, brain fog, need to eat!).

http://www.blackvegetarians.org/features/vegetariansurveyresults.htm

It's hard to read now (I read it before when it wasn't all globblyglooked) but only 14% for ethical reasons. Something's not right there and I think it's worth thinking about what that might be. It might give general insights into why people become or don't become vegan/vegetarian. Although I realize most people prefer to just avoid the topic because it's potentially politically incorrect/controversial.

Maybe just that the people who visit that site aren't as likely to be ethically veg as the general black veg population.

Yay! someone to join me in "Oprah-bashing" (joking!)

Compassionategirl, I didn't know about that doctor and vivisection, but I think I know which one you refer; he makes some good recommendations, but still allows for meat. The fact that she can ignore that says a lot about her and us -- how we live in denial and how we compartmentalize.

Oprah is SO influencial, it's sickening.

Her latests little flub has done her some damage; but, it's probably just a dent to be fogotten 'tomorrow.' Personally, I found it pretty bad; but, I never thought Oprah's opinion was/is more valuable than any other human being.

She would have access to the best vegan food. What a waste!

kathryn, I think fox hunting was made illegal last year, wasn't it? Of course, not that it would stop the rich and famous. Madonna is such a poser. I don't know why the British don't hate her for her fake-wannabe- English farce. She's another one that annoys me! lol

Sadly, Coretta Scott King died the other day. She was a vegan and probably had an influence in the Black community; not sure if she spoke out much about the ethics of it, though. If she did, I hardly think the "media" would have covered it: C.S.K.

"Fox Hunting" is now illegal in England, I don't know about anywhere else. However, you can still chase a fox on horseback, with dogs. That's not illegal. The only thing that is illegal is letting dogs kill the fox. You can shoot the fox then let the dogs eat the fox, that's a whole different thing of course.

"Fox Hunting" is now illegal in England, I don't know about anywhere else. However, you can still chase a fox on horseback, with dogs. That's not illegal. The only thing that is illegal is letting dogs kill the fox. You can shoot the fox then let the dogs eat the fox, that's a whole different thing of course.

Fox hunting is legal in the US, however like England is now. It has been illegal for years to kill the fox. However, if you know anything about fox hounds they are a bit hard to control when they catch a scent and hunt in pack formation. Sometimes Jack Russels are used to chase the foxes out of the holes. "Accidents" do happen and the fox is killed by the dogs. It's very sad indeed.

kathryn:

With respect to formerly or currently oppressed, exploited or massacred groups like blacks, jews, armenians, etc etc. nothing pisses me off more than when a member of a formerly oppressed group partakes in the oppresssion of animals. These people are especially in the position to be able to empathize with oppression and suffering (since they themselves have been the victims of it), and when they fail to do so, it is so wrong.

I cant tell you how much I want to kick the ass of, for example, black women in fur coats or Armenians chowing down on butchered animals. These activities are already abhorrent to me but when I see oppressed people's engaging in them it pisses me off even more.

SB: I too loved Madonna. Went to her concert two years ago. Saw her live, she was awesome. Wish I had the willpower to boycott her though because she is a fur wearing, fur promoting, animal eating, animal shooting neanderthal. I always thought she was awesome but her awesomeness has faded in view of the shallowness of her character.

She used to walk around in anti-fur shirts in the 1980s, and apparently be a vegetarian. So much for her "deep convictions". Brilliant, marketing genius though and has a smokin body for her age. Unfortunately, she is not "for" the animals, which means she is "against" the animals, and she and I are on opposite sides.

With respect to formerly or currently oppressed, exploited or massacred groups like blacks, jews, armenians, etc etc. nothing pisses me off more than when a member of a formerly oppressed group partakes in the oppresssion of animals. These people are especially in the position to be able to empathize with oppression and suffering (since they themselves have been the victims of it), and when they fail to do so, it is so wrong.

I feel the same, and I can't understand it.

Why aren't all feminists vegan? (Carole Adams so elloquently points out the similarities between the oppression of animals and the oppresion of women).

Why aren't all jews vegans (a large number of Aushwitz (sp?) survivors are said to have been)? (I watched a French film on WWII several years ago, can't remember the name off-hand, and the images of people stuffed into train box cars, and the images of the buildings they were kept in, etc. just made me think of how 'food animals' are treated).

Why aren't all African Americans vegan? (Many of the techniques used to oppress animals, like the "rape rack" used to impregnate some experimental animals who refuse to mate, were used by slave 'owners' in the past.

The only thing I can think of is that these groups want to distance themselves from the "other"--animals. They were once (and often times still are) treated as "other" in society. By aligning themselves against the perpetual "other" (animals), they feel more like they are "not- other" (can't think of a good term for that!)

Maybe empowering themselves by still having power over someone else (they would say "someTHING")?

this isn't being picked up much by the mainstream media, but here are some actors that did PSAs for PCRM promoting veg*nism.

Edward Asner, actor

Marilu Henner, actor, author, and health advocate

Alexandra Paul, “Baywatch” star with husband and athlete Ian Murray

Keenen Ivory Wayans, comedian and producer

Kevin Eubanks, “Tonight Show” band leader

you can watch them here (and find links to the print, radio and billboard PSAs):

http://www.pcrm.org/news/psas/tv.html

other actors that have done PCRM PSAs:

Anthony Hopkins, Academy Award-winning actor

Alec Baldwin, acclaimed actor

Bill Maher, comedian and host of HBO's “Real Time with Bill Maher”

Noah Wyle, star of “ER”

Rue McClanahan, star of “Golden Girls”

I feel the same, and I can't understand it.

Why aren't all feminists vegan? (Carole Adams so elloquently points out the similarities between the oppression of animals and the oppresion of women).

Why aren't all jews vegans (a large number of Aushwitz (sp?) survivors are said to have been)? (I watched a French film on WWII several years ago, can't remember the name off-hand, and the images of people stuffed into train box cars, and the images of the buildings they were kept in, etc. just made me think of how 'food animals' are treated).

Why aren't all African Americans vegan? (Many of the techniques used to oppress animals, like the "rape rack" used to impregnate some experimental animals who refuse to mate, were used by slave 'owners' in the past.

The only thing I can think of is that these groups want to distance themselves from the "other"--animals. They were once (and often times still are) treated as "other" in society. By aligning themselves against the perpetual "other" (animals), they feel more like they are "not- other" (can't think of a good term for that!)

Maybe empowering themselves by still having power over someone else (they would say "someTHING")?

I so agree with this it's not even funny

IMO I also think the reason that some are outraged and insulted at campaigns that show the similarities with oppression of peoples (races and gender) and the oppression of animals is because they are sensitive about being considered as "less than" human or top of the pack ?

News flash: The human species is part of the animal kingdom and ya know what ? Big deal ! I'm part of the human species, but know all humans -- me, you, white, black, yellow, red, pink, purple, blue are all equals and are part of the animal kingdom whether they chose to come to terms with this or not. (Unfortunately my mom always denies that she is a species that is part of the animal kingdom, because she has the picture of a human being described as an animal as being a dirty, violent, unkempt savage who clomps and stomps his/her way through life ) IMO some, if not most, individuals need the ego, security and power trip by fooling themselves that they are "above" that classification. I wish they would see the correlation (sigh ) Maybe some day......

Then again, when someone says the term, "she/he is an animal" they mean it in a negative way (unless you're describing a bed room classification ).

Edited by Crash