Starting my comeback at 74 years.

theodorepong

I am 74 years old, 5' 6" tall, and weigh 120 lbs. I was born a third generation vegetarian. I am aspiring to be vegan, if I can learn enough about nutrition to get off milk and eggs, although I am careful to get raw milk or milk products, or eggs only from a local farmer whom I know well.

Mine is a comeback story. My goal is to gain a few pounds.

Three months ago I was shocked that I had trouble squatting 85 lbs. So I got to work with a will in the gym. Last week I did three sets of 20 full squats with 135, a few days later three sets of 10 with 155. Also I used to swim, but I had sadly gotten out of shape there two. After also working on that for the last three months, I have recovered to where I can swim a fair pace crawl for a mile or so easily.

I had a unnerving experience the other day. I swam along the shore of Lake Abiquiu, (65 to 70 F water temperature) about a quarter mile at a fair pace. Half way back I felt strange, and headed for shore, where, upon climbing out I started becoming very disoriented, and had to have help from several people to get rational again. I was very tired that day, and had not eaten enough.

Two friends insisted I check into ER so I did even though I was feeling OK after a bit of food and warm clothing. They found no problem with EKG or brain cat scan, but they said I had a light mild anemia, and traces of protein in urine, possible kidney problems. They said it is nothing serious, ----- yet.

I don't usually go to doctors, but this has me just a little anxious, maybe plain scared. I am joining this group for dietary suggestions and general moral support from fellowship here.

I think it's a wake up warning to pay a lot more attention to nutrition and diet, and gain a bit of weight reserve, some fat as well as muscle.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Welcome! That's an inspiring story but I'm sorry to hear about the disorientation incident. As far as the kidney troubles, replacing the dairy in your diet with soy could be very helpful -

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15328066

To avoid anemia, eat lots of iron-rich foods like soy products, legumes, nuts and seeds. Dark leafy greens are good for iron too. Eating these foods with a source of vitamin C will aid in absorption. Cooking them in a cast iron pan will add even more iron.