Hello my new found friends!

tebriel

Hi! My name is Chris, nice to meet you. ::shakes hands around the room:: I'm a software developer, been vegan for about 1.5 years (have previously yo-yoed between vegan/veg and omni, but that's a tale for another post). I've been training off and on for about 3 years, doing lots of random stuff like: running, cycling, weight training, capoeira, TRX, and kettle bells. I've never had a specific goal in mind, just "get in shape" was always my goal. After some long hard thinking about 4 months ago, I decided that I wanted to actually build muscle, tone up, and be able to run long distances (ie. half/full marathons). My current goal is to outgrow my favorite shirt (it's an american apparel medium (which is kind of like a small medium) with my arms and chest.

Why Vegan?

I've always felt close to animals, and I've always been bothered by eating them or forcing them to give me something that they make just so that I could sustain myself. For a few years after my first failed attempt at being Vegan (I wasn't committed, educated, nor did I know anyone who could support me) I just ignored that voice (that I believe exists in everyone's head) that says "don't eat me! I have a mom too, she'd be sad to see this!" After those years I became sick with a condition named Gastroparesis*. I did a lot of research on how the stomach processes/handles food and realized that what would make my condition a lot easier on myself would be doing what I had known was right all along. I'm now happier than I have ever been, I'm in much better shape, and I almost never notice any side effects from my medicine nor my condition. Things could not be better!

Why Vegan Body Building?

I saw that Robert was selling his book at 1/2 price to benefit a sad kitty. I cannot say no to sad kitties, so I immediately ran to paypal (yes, you CAN run on the internet) and happily handed over my money for this awesome book and for a sad kitty!

Training Routine?

I constantly doing something active. Tu/Th/Sa/Sun I run, M/Th I do lower body muscle work and Tu/Fri I do upper body muscle work. Both sets of muscle work bleed over into the other and both are heavily focused on core strength/stability. Right now I'm doing the TRX Force trainer program (lots of functional strength training and core work) to build up a base set of muscle and endurance to move back in to kettle bells (which are my true weight love).

I'm going to go over to the progress pictures thread and throw some pictures of before (back before I lost 40 lbs), then right when I started working out, and where I am now. Everyone in this form sounds super supportive and I'm very excited to be a part of this community!

Thanks,

Chris

*Gastroparesis is basically that the Vagus Nerve which controls the emptying of the stomach just doesn't function. Food will sit in my stomach forever and never leave. It gets quite painful, but thankfully there's medication to help. Unfortunately it's an anti-biotic which just has the side effect of stimulating the Vagus Nerve, so I'm on an anti-biotic 1x a day, for the rest of my life...probiotics are my friend!

@lobsteriffic @VeganGirl2006 yes, kitties are awesome, I never want them to be sad! Thanks for the welcome!

@vege Thanks, it's very unusual for someone my age (27) to have it. Gastroparesis usually occurs in older people (60/70+) But yes, I do love miso! I have both dark and light in the fridge and add some tofu, sprouts, green onions and noodles for a tasty snack. And I let the soup cool just a bit after boiling to not destroy the enzymes. That sound about right?