logging on from San Diego CA

divamom

Hey-o!

I am a 49,almost 50, mom of three (Grown, thank goodness) kids and an ex runner that was never very fast. I have always lifted off and on, and actually went a few years with not. A friend lost 60 pounds w/ a trainer recently and it inspirted me, and I am 4 weeks from possibly enetering a competition. (will post pics and questions in another forum, cause I need that last 4 weeks CUT help)

I have been vegetarian for 35 years plus and vegan or mostly vegan the last 15/20 years or so (give or take...there are years I was vegan and didn't know it, and there were a few years I did egg whites and minimal amounts if any dairy) just due to life and "stuff" happens. I am fortunate enough to work in an industry that I am in Natural foods stores daily for a living, so it is never really an issue.

I am loving the results as I approach 50 (and I never want to look it!!!!)-and well, its a lifestyle. I am training fora July 9th practice of sorts for a fitness competition and one in October here in San Diego--and ya'll, ..I wanna WIN!

Thanks for all, and look forward to the conversations!

OMG! So exciting to hear your "story". My sister just won first place in figure and first in novice at this years NJ Garden State NPC comp. She is not veget. or vegan and consumed tons of animal protein in the process. I would LOVE to hear how you go about your training and even more specifically your food intake!! I am an athlete myself. Placed first in a military tri before having both my girls (3.5 and 1.5 yrs). I will be running a 5K in two weeks, but would love to win it..it'd boost my mommy self esteem! haha. I would thoroughly enjoy training for a competition, minus the actual event, vegan. I have no idea how to go about it tho!

its pricey pricey in So Cal. Hard not to love, though.

Training...I LIVED on carbs for years..., I am grasping on protein as I want less grin rights now. I have been doing a lot of high protein , no fat hardly any carb vegan meat analogues ( I love Trader Joes fake beef for protein, not taste...330 cal for an entire package, no fat, neglible carbs and 60 grams of protein for the whole package.) Thats why off/on over the years I will go ovo and do egg whites, as I try to stay gluten free and that stuff has gluten in it and I feel it.

My thighs suck rear end. I posted photos..I could place tomorrow from the waist up in a category if not win, but my thighs will get me boo'd and hissed off stage.

Kudos on training w/ kids...I always did...now I meet them at the gym! (21, 19 and 15)

Yea, that's what I hear! But you don't need much when the weather keeps you outside I bet!!

So now you do high protein and high carbs? Just making sure I understand what you're saying. I'm not a huge fan of soy, but do default to it probably every other day. I love seitan, it's nutrient profile is equivalent to lean meats...high protein, no carbs. It's also very easy to cook.

Wait, what is the competition you are doing tomorrow? Where r ur pics?

Thanks, as you know...some days it's a real job dragging the little ones to the gym. I feel it's the most important, if not only, thing I should do for myself! Wow!! I can't wait for the day I meet mine at the gym!! I have loooong way to go for that yet! haha. Did your kids just naturally get into it themselves??

What's a typical day of eating like for you?

Quick note: The contest is July 9 in San Jose...if I do it. My thighs suck monkeys rear end, so I am still on a fence, but training hard.

Diet: Until two weeks ago, I LIVED for carbs...I love organic frozen fries, nuked until soggy and then the cheeses added for last 45 seconds! w/ melted Daiya vegan cheese and organic ketchup! (you asked what I ate). I ran 35 - 50 minimum miles a week up until Nov 2009 and quit as my insides would have ended up on the sidewalk, switched to the stairmill almost daily (about 45 minutes all skewed up)--and I would lift, every two or three weeks just so I cold look defined. Ha! I LOVE vegan taquitos and w/ work and trvel--lately by choice I have been microwaving "Amy's bowl w/ Teriyakai---see, more carbs!

I have been gluten free for almost two years, and its because at flippin almost 50, I have old lady stomach , or IBS--and I have for 20 plus years, so too many grains and too many veggies will kill me--ergo the dalliance w/ egg whites as of late. BUT, with this blessed competition as a goal, I have been re introducing more vegan meat analogues ( like seitan- but PACKED w/ gluten)--I am not a big fan of too much soy---all the soy estrogens. I can't eat nuts because of my stomach and intestines, but I do eat nut butters and typically I have Organic Brown rice cakes w/ Organic peanut butter as a standard. Prior to my mission of re inventing my thighs, I wasn't as concerned and typicaly would eat a small package of Lucys gluten free cookies and wash it down w/ a kombucha and supplement it w/ a Luna Bar, and even then, it has to be vegan and I check all ingredients for gluten free. I actually need corrective surgery and just don't feel like taking teh time out of my day to have my stomach fixed..and truthfully, I would rather have nicer thighs ad my priorities are somewhat skewed---to the outside world.

enough of me...pis are in progress section, but these were today , June 13 , 2011-- at night, I have eaten, just got back fom gym 20 mins earlier...and see, my thighs SUCK. Go ahead and rip it..i can only improve!

More of YOU, --what is your diet?

Now, the high carb thing was a way of a life till just a week or so ago..I know I have to eat more protein, but I am always at risk for a bad stomach ache and they are episodic--so its usually potatoes or corn tortillas ( I can't do corn at all) and some brown Texmati Organic brown rice. If I am on the road, I usually grab a salad at a Whole Foods Market and I drink a TON of Kombucha ( google it)

I am not a good eater at all.. however, I eat good foods....but not often enough and kind of like a python---all at once!!

pics attached

I have been off work ( vacay) for 5 days..so eating a bit more regularly...but I sip or snack on something every 3 - 4 hours ( Kombucha!)

so, your sis won...are you training as well? Are you Vegan?

Yeah, the food thing is weird w/ me..I prefer my vegan diet, but if my stomach goes on the fritz w/ Vegan meats ( and can't do grains exclusively due to the IBS and tendency for a diverticulosis type reaction) I find the egg whites to be my best back up...its a moral, personal and ethical dilemma..but I gotta eat. Dairy is like verboten...I really avoid all dairy like the plague...so, still playing w/ re introducing gluten these last two weeks...undecided.

I can see the difference in less than a week from less carbs ( I used to be 80% carbs...now I am 80% protein...)...I just want to WIN ( that will be in October!!!!) July is "practice"

Quick note: The contest is July 9 in San Jose...if I do it. My thighs suck monkeys rear end, so I am still on a fence, but training hard.

Diet: Until two weeks ago, I LIVED for carbs...I love organic frozen fries, nuked until soggy and then the cheeses added for last 45 seconds! w/ melted Daiya vegan cheese and organic ketchup! (you asked what I ate). I ran 35 - 50 minimum miles a week up until Nov 2009 and quit as my insides would have ended up on the sidewalk, switched to the stairmill almost daily (about 45 minutes all skewed up)--and I would lift, every two or three weeks just so I cold look defined. Ha! I LOVE vegan taquitos and w/ work and trvel--lately by choice I have been microwaving "Amy's bowl w/ Teriyakai---see, more carbs!

I have been gluten free for almost two years, and its because at flippin almost 50, I have old lady stomach , or IBS--and I have for 20 plus years, so too many grains and too many veggies will kill me--ergo the dalliance w/ egg whites as of late. BUT, with this blessed competition as a goal, I have been re introducing more vegan meat analogues ( like seitan- but PACKED w/ gluten)--I am not a big fan of too much soy---all the soy estrogens. I can't eat nuts because of my stomach and intestines, but I do eat nut butters and typically I have Organic Brown rice cakes w/ Organic peanut butter as a standard. Prior to my mission of re inventing my thighs, I wasn't as concerned and typicaly would eat a small package of Lucys gluten free cookies and wash it down w/ a kombucha and supplement it w/ a Luna Bar, and even then, it has to be vegan and I check all ingredients for gluten free. I actually need corrective surgery and just don't feel like taking teh time out of my day to have my stomach fixed..and truthfully, I would rather have nicer thighs ad my priorities are somewhat skewed---to the outside world.

enough of me...pis are in progress section, but these were today , June 13 , 2011-- at night, I have eaten, just got back fom gym 20 mins earlier...and see, my thighs SUCK. Go ahead and rip it..i can only improve!

More of YOU, --what is your diet?

Now, the high carb thing was a way of a life till just a week or so ago..I know I have to eat more protein, but I am always at risk for a bad stomach ache and they are episodic--so its usually potatoes or corn tortillas ( I can't do corn at all) and some brown Texmati Organic brown rice. If I am on the road, I usually grab a salad at a Whole Foods Market and I drink a TON of Kombucha ( google it)

I am not a good eater at all.. however, I eat good foods....but not often enough and kind of like a python---all at once!!

pics attached

wow you look FANTASTIC!!!