Enough Calories?

Hi, everyone! I joined this group a while ago but only recently committed to the lifestyle 100%. In fact, I've gone raw vegan and I'm loving it!

Here's my question: I currently do intense kettlebell and bodyweight workouts 6x a week. Since I've been raw, I can only seem to get in 400-500 calories per day at best no matter how hard I try. I eat six meals a day and do periodic intermittent fasting (the calorie total above is for non-fasting days). I'm 5'2", 108 lbs.

Is anyone else doing raw that can advise whether or not this caloric intake will sustain the workouts, or offer tips on increasing energy? I have another firefighter physical agility test coming up soon and I want to make sure I'm ready!

Thanks in advance!

SpiritChaser

....Since I've been raw, I can only seem to get in 400-500 calories per day at best no matter how hard I try....

Not to be too blunt to you in your first post, but there is no way you are getting that few calories. On a regimen that low, at your body weight, and with that much exercise, you would be dead within a few months, if not less.

One problem could be that you aren't getting an accurate measurement of the size of the things you are eating. How do you count your calories? For example, if you eat an apple and then put '1 medium apple' into a calorie tracker, this could be way off. I used to measure this way and one day I happened to actually weigh my food and count it that way, and I discovered I had been inaccurately measuring my intake. So to get a more accurate measurement, try actually weighing your food before you eat it, then putting that into a calorie tracker.

However, I should also point out that your calorie intake is way too low (even if it's not as low as you think it is). With your size and the amount of exercise you are getting, I would recommend 1800 calories a day at least, if not 2000. At this point your body has probably slowed it's metabolism quite a bit, and you will definitely feel a lack of energy with your intake.

As for what foods to add to your diet, make sure you do everything you can to get protein and leafy greens. As a raw vegan your calcium intake will be low, and dark leafy greens will help with that. Also, you MUST take a B12 supplement, preferably everyday. You will also have to monitor to make sure you are getting enough protein (shoot for 50g a day, at least). I recommend a very well authored book, Becoming Raw. It will give you all the pitfalls to avoid and some helpful tips for what to eat and how much. The Amazon link is: http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Raw-Essential-Guide-Vegan/dp/1570672385

You could try eating your calories in smoothie form. It might be hard to get enough calories when you are only eating veggies in their original state. Blend up a shit load of fruit and veggies, add nuts, flax seed oil, avocado and any other high calorie foods to give you something you can quickly wash down.