Proper nutrient ratios for cutting?

Evaneth

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to drop the extra body fat and then work on bulking afterwards (but losing the fat first is my main priority). I'm new to the whole vegan thing, and I'm not exactly sure what my ratios of protein, carbs, and fat should be. Especially since it'll be a lot harder to get protein. I already have the calorie deficit going and lift heavy 3 times a week with 2-3 days of cardio, and just would like to know how much protein and carbs I should be getting (I'm guessing fat will be pretty low too). Thanks!

Right now I'm doing 25-50-25 and that's working for me.

25% Protein - 50% Carbohydrates - 25% Fat.

You can play with those ratios and see what works best for you. I started with a lower fat ratio but saw how much i could increase it without detriment as fat is an excellent source of energy.

It also has to do with the types of foods you eat and how much stress they put on the system. Stress will increase fat storage. The Thrive Diet book gets into this.

For me, my best ratios were around 40% protein, 30% fat, 30% carbs or 50% protein, 30% fat, 20% carbs, both fared well for me as I tend to be really carb-sensitive and simply can't lose fat on a high carbohydrate diet (12+ years of killing myself trying eventually made me realize that carbs are my enemy for fat loss). Lower carb diets aren't as easy to do while vegan, but with some supplements and plenty of meat alternatives, it is possible.

But, I can safely say I envy those who can lose fat on lower protein and higher carb diets. I really, really wish that worked out for me as well, but alas, the fates just won't let it happen!

Sorry to make you so jealous. I was shooting for 40% carbs before but as i was having problems with 300+ grams of protein a day I slowly tweeked my carbs up to see no effects. Especially if I consume carbs from fruits and veggies. I feel cut enough as is.

I have been doing some serious calorie counting though and focusing on only comsuming what I need.

It's all about finding the niche that works for you.