"Downed" animals. Know what I mean?

compassionategirl

http://www.goveg.com/downedCow.asp

That image of the downed cow is truly one of the most heart-breaking ones I have recently seen. if you know about downed animals already and what that means, then spare yourself the grief and skip this post. If you dont, I invite you to inform yourself, and then educate others on downed animals. You can tell just how much she pain she is in just by looking at her. Somethin in her eyes says it all.

Frustrating that especially non-vegans don't know what downed animals are, and when I try to explain, there is almost disbelief in what I am saying, or they try to argue and say I am making it up. Animals really are just stock / items to farmers, and it's easier for the farmer to just let them suffer and die rather than look after them once they get particular injuries / illnesses. It's so lame.

No sentient being should EVER have to go through the torture this poor cow did. Downed cows' situation are so tragic and horrible, made doubly so, because people think articles like this are made up and unfortunately they are not. The "happy cow" images and content cows grazing by by their "owners" in marketing campaigns by the beef and dairy industries is such a lie.

I wish I could find the human in the "man" they interviewed.....

Thanks for the explanation Madcat, reminds me of something I read in regards to Islamic "Halal" meat that is apparently to the Muslim population done so with care, however they do not and charge Muslims more money because they think it is Halal (lawful).

I am not going to that page as you already told me what it is, but thanks anyways. As I stated above, I stay away from pictures and even descriptions at times. Thanks again!

Actually, downed cows are often dairies from what I have read. After years of milking, many dairy cows are just so exhausted that they cannot make that final hellish journey to the slaughterhouse to go from dairy to hamburger in a fast food joint. So, on the way to the slaughterhouse or whatnot, they collapse, go 'down', and cant get up to walk on their own the rest of the way.

Downed animals like madcat described are animals who either from exhaustion or physical injury are unable to literally get up and walk onto the transport truck bound for slaughter, or cannot make it from the truck into the slaughterhouse, or go 'down' at some other point in their miserable lives. They are often either then dragged in chains to the slaughterhouse, or are left to die an agonizing death at the spot which they went down (i.e. fell).

Richard: Yup, it is truly pathetic how meat eaters dont even believe the down animal stories - they think this is all something vegans have made up. Even though pictures stare them right in the face.

Edited by compassionategirl

Yeah from what I understand, a downed animal is any animal that is too much work to do anything with, so it gets left where it is (or separated from the herd and put elsewhere) to die in whatever way, either from its illness or injuries, or from starvation / thirst. I could be wrong about that though.

Edited by Richard

Unfortunately compassion...i don't think things like that will ever change. There are too many bad/lacking people in the world (maybe for the philisophical intrinsic good requires bad thing).

I don't even look at sights like that anymore. I can't control what occurs beyond my direct reaches. All I can do I suppose is insure I never exist that way.

Like I said...man is the worst animal ever created. He'll always be the worst.