Muscle soreness, during off week

9nines

I am wondering if this (description below) my indicate I was working out too hard before.

I lifted hard the last three weeks (twice on each muscle group during Saturday and Sunday the repeat on each muscle group Tuesday and Thursday but less on those weekdays.)

I have taken this week off, doing no lifting since Sunday.

Thursday and today I have had soreness in my chest, back and shoulders. Pretty much the soreness you get after new exercise or muscle group lifting. I had not really had these soreness while continuously working out - just these latter rest days - by "latter" I mean day four and five of rest days.

My intuition says this is probably a good thing meaning the muscles are growing now and causing the soreness and before the did not have enough to rest to do so.

What do others think? IS this a sign that I should rest longer, like maybe just Saturday and Sunday then one day during week (alternating muscle groups that day each week)?

Hello 9nines,

You worked out the same muscles two days in a row? If so, then that might be the problem. It is a rule of thumb NOT to workout the same muscle groups within a 48 hour time period. Also for children, they should not workout 2 days consecutively (even if it is different muscle groups) and should have their workouts spaced between each other. Hope that helps.

I have to admit I don't know the science behind muscle soreness but for me I like the sore feeling I get.

I added some variations to my routine this week and I feel I have shocked my muscles into action. They feel bigger, stronger and pumped. I actually feel massive.

I'm just eating and drinking as much as possible to get rid of the impurities and feed the new muscle.

Love it : )

Did you put a new variation into your workout? Such as switching from bench press to cable press, etc.?

No just went from two times, a week, per muscle group, to one time and the soreness was many days later. Now I think I might have slept wrong and had a knot or something.

Sorry but I am having a hard time comprehending what you are trying to relay to me.

You are now doing full body routines per day?

The week change was:

(1) Lifted weights four days a week:

Day 1 muscle groups a,b,c

Day 2 muscle groups d,e,f

Day 3 no weight lifting,

Day 4 repeat of Day 1,

Day 5 no weight lifting

Day 6 repeat of Day 2

Day 7 No weight lifting

To

(2) Lifted weights just two days a week

Day 1 Muscle groups a,b,c

Day 2 Muscle groups d,e,f

Day 3 No weight lifting

Day 4 No weight lifting

Day 5 No weight lifting

Day 6 No weight lifting (had some soreness in back and chest muscles - seemed like normal 'next day after new exercise' type soreness)

Day 7 No weight lifting (less pain, might have just been a muscle knot from sleeping in wrong position or something.

It may be DOMS. I believe what happened was by removing your second set of workouts you didn't have any active recovery type of work being done, this allowed the DOMS to settle in and cause the problems. If you are only going to lift on the weekends, which is just fine, just make sure to do some light activity on the non-lifting days to get the blood flowing to help repair the muscle. That should take care of it.

Regards,

Sensless

It may be DOMS. I believe what happened was by removing your second set of workouts you didn't have any active recovery type of work being done, this allowed the DOMS to settle in and cause the problems. If you are only going to lift on the weekends, which is just fine, just make sure to do some light activity on the non-lifting days to get the blood flowing to help repair the muscle. That should take care of it.

Regards,

Sensless

If muscles were still repairing during those weekdays does that indicate that I should only lift weights on weekend and give them a full five days to rest?

or maybe heavy weight lifting on weekends and light, high rep lifting on weekdays to get high blood flow to muscles etc., as you wrote?

Regards,

Sensless

If muscles were still repairing during those weekdays does that indicate that I should only lift weights on weekend and give them a full five days to rest?

quote]

It may mean that on the days you don't lift weights you should get in some light activity (not necessarily weightlifting activity) that gets the blood flowing to the areas of the body that are sore. For example, if you did squatting on Sunday, then it might be a good idea to go for a long walk, easy bike ride, or light jog on Monday.

If you have continued problems with DOMS it could also relate to lactic acid build up after your workouts. I'm pushing my memory pretty far back on this though, so someone else may be able to fill you in better with that. Anyway, one way to help with lactic acid induced DOMS is to finish your workout with some short bursts of work such as short sprints at about 80% of top speed. We used to do this in track at the end of practice by running 100 meter dashes around 14 seconds a pop (which is still running, but nowhere near max speed). We'd usually run about 5 of these things.

Just a couple ideas to try. They may work for you, they may not. Everyone is a bit different.

Regards,

Sensless