New here!

missykay

I'm Kayla! Originally from the Bay Area in California, but has lived in Idaho for the 3 years (prior Air Force and hubby is still active duty). I'm a full-time student on-line, wife, and step-mommy. Right now, I am pretty overweight..bigger than I've ever been It bothers me A LOT. I was at my skinniest a few years ago when I started eating a "clean" high-protein/low-carb diet (LOTS of chicken and other animals products). While I was very thin and gained a lot of muscle through weight lifting, I found the diet hard to stick to for long periods of time. I had cravings for carbs/sugars a lot and would often binge, hence my weight gain.

Out of my love and concern for animals, I have recently decided to go vegan (I am almost there, still eating whey protein powder or eggs a few times a week). I am the only one in my house making this decision, so that alone makes this a pretty hard lifestyle to maintain, but I am still happy I've made this decision. My dilema, however, is HOW I will LOSE weight! I NEED to lose weight badly. I am feeling very uncomfortable and my insecurity has even made me dislike going to gym. I have been starting to get back into going to the gym, just doing light excerise for now since I haven't been to the gym in months.

SO, what should I eat for optimal weight loss? I am fearful of eating too many grains considering my very low carb past. Lately I've been eating too much vegan junk, but this week I started eating more fruits and veggies, whole grains (oats, brown rice, quinoa, soba noodles, Ezekial bread), beans, and some fats like peanut butter and olive oil. I also have soy yogurt and almond milk. Is this type of eating appropriate for weight loss? Is the 811 diet perhaps more effective? I am interested in hearing the stories of people who have lost a significant amount of weight being vegan or raw vegan (and which is better/more sustainable).

So that's why I'm here. To learn how to lose weight and get back in shape while being vegan. Sorry for the novel...I am just desperate for info!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kayla! I'm new to the forum as well, and am also anxious to learn as much from the knowledge and experiences of this community as I can. I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but in addition to the resources viciousvixen suggested above, I would also recommend the "Engine 2 Diet" book to you, as well as the movie "Forks Over Knives".

Wishing you (and all of us!) a healthy and happy 2012!!

All the best,

Karen