Incline Walking...

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knows the benefits of incline walking.

It is something I have been doing a lot of lately - because it makes me feel great and I believe it is lower impact then running (expecially running on a treadmill). I walk around 3 or 4 miles an hour, at the highest incline my treadmill will go to. I keep my hb around 140.

I was suprised how great this feels, so I did a search on google but couldn't find much info/data related to incline walking let alone benefits/cons. One article recommended it but said it may not be easier on the knees, and that was about all I found.

Anyway, any experiences or info would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Edited by Wildflower

Incline walking increases intensity without increasing impact or speed. It's definitely lower impact than running.

It also hits the glutes more than flat walking. Other than that, I don't know of any benefits. It's possible it might be a bit less impact than flat walking, because you aren't coming down directly in line with gravity, and not as far, when you step.

I think incline walking would have all kinds of benefits. I enjoy doing it too. I think you would burn more calories, increase heart rate, get a good workout for the glutes, hamstrings, quads, calves, and other secondary muscles in the legs, and it would improve aerobic fitness.

The best bodybuilder in the world just does walking for his cardio and he gets crazy lean. He walks for about an hour on an incline treadmill once or twice a day, and that, along wtih his nutrition program, supplements, etc. gets him in amazing shape.

So I say keep on climbin!

• 4 weeks later...

I love incline walking, I agree i feel really good after an hours walking, last summer i walked 3 miles home from work each night at a good pace and the weight was really dropping off. I ought to start that again soon, it worked wonders!

Alison