Hello from portland

Harley

Veganpotter,

Titanium is wicked stiff and is really good for a biger rider.

My bike is my sole mate.

It always wants to ride, never complains, loves the outdoors and loves lots of physical activity. Now if I could only find a guy like that.

Sponsorship? Do you race for a team now?

They do not make the Heliums anymore. But Mavics are awesome.

I've been told by many that titanium is stiff but I've always wondered why the only pro athletes that compete on titanium are triathletes(mostly and a few track cyclists). I've never believed the whippy frame thing people talk about but I've never tried it so I'll have to give it a try is I ever run into somebody with a race set up Ti frame. Pro cyclists used to say the same thing about carbon and now there are very few teams still riding aluminum anything nowadays.

As for sponsorship I'm not there yet but I'm hoping VEGA can do something with me as an up and coming athlete. And as for teams I just ride for a local club now but I don't do too many races. We almost only have crits and I'm not too fond of them. There's only been one race over 25miles for cat5s within a reasonable distance and I couldn't muster a ride to get there. The way I train I'm much better suited for a 40+mile race or very short races thanks to natural strength...I don't do well with the acceleration from 8mph turn after turn in a crit...but I can handle myself on the track pretty well for the little experience I have. I also think I'd very good at time trials anywhere from 8-20 miles so long as there reasonably flat.

As for riding I can never get enough...I rode a 500mile solo week this summer without a single accompanied mile...and my only complaint was my sore butt...I really think I could have done 700+ if I had someone with me the whole time which would have been really nice. So all I need to do is find someone who will always wanna ride, but doesn't mind me complaining when I'm climbing up a lousy hill. Unfortunately its hard enough to find someone who wants to do a 60 mile ride if its over 80 degrees.

Veganpotter,

I am not a fan of crits either. I much prefer road races and time trials.

Lots of crashes recently in a lot of crits.

As for complaining, I think we all complain about the hills. The hills and the wind. I think I will take hills over the wind though because at least you know when you get tp the top you can easu up a bit. Whereas with the wind it never stops.

Not ride above 80 degrees??

I love the heat and I perform so much better as the air temperature and humidity increase. I need to move somewhere warmer than maine.

I just got 3 vega bars, so I look forward to trying them and seeing which flavor I like the best.

How are the weight workouts coming?

You northerners(Finn atleast)...I did a few metric centuries this summer with the heat index at 110 and since I was raw it felt no different than when I was heavier and eating my normal vegan diet in the low 90s. Surely Finn...you wouldn't wanna race me in a time trial with 110degree temps...well you might not be so bad if you've got pureed chocolate chip cookies in your cycling pockets. Really I like any temperature over 55 degrees. We'll probably have a week(maybe two) where the highs will be in the low 20s and I'll ride though it...but most of the winter I'll get away with riding in the upper 30s to lower 40s which must sounds almost tropical to you guys. Maybe you two can come down for some "warm" Richmond weather so you guys get get out of the damn woods and get on the road...we can avoid hills if you want harley...and finn can go take laps over and over again over the 3-4 hills in Richmond

Surely Finn...you wouldn't wanna race me in a time trial with 110degree temps

I'd just sprint to the front right away and then throw cookies down every time you got close. I know you'd hate all that starting and stopping. Maybe I'd pay Harley to have a chocolate cake ready for you at the halfway point.

A roadie trip to Richmond doesn't sound bad at all. I'll keep it in mind.

Finnbarrio, what type of mountain bike do you ride?

If it is in the 40's in Richmond in the middle of winter I am up for a raod trip. It gets really cold up here and it is worse on the bike with the wind chill. It is not only the cold but the ice on the roads, not to safe.

My (main) mt bike is a Rocky Mountain Slayer 50. I put a bunch of money into it recently - new (tougher) rims, cassette (changed it to 8 speed), new bash guard, seatpost, saddle. It kicks butt now. Going to Vermont next weekend to check out Kingdom Trails, so I wanted it to be in top shape.

My road bike is a Trek Pilot 2.1. I haven't upgraded anything on that, but I've only had it for a few months. I think a new saddle will be the first upgrade.

Yeah, I don't think I'd be road biking a whole lot in Maine in the winter. Now, snowboarding, that's a different story!

Cookies may only make me go faster since I'm good at catching things...as for coming down here you two have gotta do it. Then you can hear me complain about the cold while you two are sweating in shorts since you'll be used to be bundled up on the trails. My semesters over on Dec. 18ish but even before that wouldn't be a big deal since in art school you normally have less work at the end of the semester