Miniature horse farm

9nines

There is a miniature horse farm near my house. I have always thought it was raising the horses for slaughter. Neighbors said I was nuts that the horse were pets and sold to families with children. I never knew anyone to have a miniature horse and I think families with them would be so rare that no one could make a business around that.

Well the farm has been there for at least 16 years (time I have known about it.) One week after the horse slaughter prevention act was passed by the US House, the property has a bright new "Commercial Land For Sale" sign on it. Coincidence?

Ewww!

Why would they raise miniature horses? More of whatever they are looking for (meat? FOr animal or human consumption? pelts?) on a big horse. Are they more docile and easy to control/move around?

Raising animals with the intent of killing them is incomprehensible to me in general, but this is very odd in particular.

I would believe the first story and not the coincidence of farm being for sale. The horses that are eaten (as far as I know) are the bigger, older horses. Those are what we send to the french so they can eat them. Horses are worth a lot, raising them for consumption doesnt make sense to me.

So, you do not think they were raised for slaughter? There were 50 of them at any one time. I just find it hard to believe there is enough demand for them for anything else but maybe the yare shipped nationwide. They seem like they would have more meat per weight than horses is why I always thought it was for slaughter.

I once knew a breeder who sold them for show and pets. Here's a link to some info for you:

http://www.amha.org/

A miniature horse will not bring as good a price per pound as a large horse. Neither miniatures or normal size horses are breed for meat in the states. However, that doesn't mean that discarded/no longer wanted horses and ponies do not end up at the meat market.

I knew a horse dealer who bought all his horses from the meat market in New Boulton PA and then sold them as trail horse, show horse etc. Until the Animal Advicates started beating on the windows of his truck and screaming at him, time and time again. They assumed he was a meat dealer. He stopped "saving" horses from the meat market as he didn't want the constant trouble from the AR sect. Don't get me wrong, the man was no saint, he bought and sold the horses as a commonity for profit. However, he bought them from a place that had he not they most certainly would have been loaded on the next trailer out to the slaughter house.

One of my brother's best friends parents have two miniature horses...they're pretty loaded. Anyway surely they wouldn't be making money locally. I remember working in Philly and getting and EMU at the SPCA...someone bought it and they obviously weren't allowed to have one in the city but there was a breeder just outside of the city in a really nice area so they were obviously making money on it.