Yummy Salsa con "Queso"

FormicaLinoleum

Made this last weekend because my gf was craving nachos. Turned out better than we both hoped. We made nachos the first day then just dipped chips in this stuff the next.

It's pretty simple.

1. Make a basic white sauce

2. Melt in a vegan "cheese". I used Vegan Gourmet cheddar, which I very strongly recommend if you can get it. I'd start with about half a block, then add more to taste.

3. Once the sauce is all smooth, add in salsa and get back up to melty temperature. I think I added about 5 Tbsp, but you can do this to taste.

It was really good! I swear that most people would not know it was vegan.

The white sauce recipe I used:

3 Tbsp Earth Balance (or other margerine)

3 Tbsp flour

1 cup soy milk

dash of salt

Melt the margerine. Once it starts bubbling a bit, add the flour. Stir well. Slowly add the soy milk, stirring constantly. Simmer on med heat for a bit until it thickens. I like to mix well with a whisk so it's smooth. Add salt. That's it for the white sauce part!

• 2 weeks later...

Do you find that the sauce "thickens" much as it cools? I've made nachos by just melting the Follow Your Heart (Vegan Gourmet) with some salsa but it thickens really quickly. I assume the white sauce keeps it more "saucey". Nice! Michael and I are planning to eat more macrobiotically (is that really a word??? ) starting next week so I'm going to have to make this recipe this weekend. Yum!

What was it that K wanted me to make that you recently replicated- a mint oreo milkshake?

Hmmm. Not macro either. I'll have to make that this weekend, too!

It does thicken as it cools, but it's a relatively slow process, and you can still dip in it when it's "thick". I think it tastes better when warm, though!

Yeah, it was the mint cookie shake she was talking about. A bunch of soy delicious vanilla, soy/rice/almond milk, and a couple of mint oreo-type cookies (my favorites are the country somethingorother brand, but there are also the newman-os). It's really yummy!