road trip to food fight and beyond

Trev

Robert, we're gonna be in Portland Thurs. Nov. 30 around mid morning. We're planning to stop at Food Fight to stock up, then hit the road to SF. You in town then? Probably stop thru Portland on the way back up the coast on Dec. 8 as well, same time of the day. Probably check out a restaurant for lunch. Any recommendations?

Actually, any favorite dinner spots in Seattle as well?

Trev

I think I will be around on the 30th, so keep me up to date on your travels.

I can suggest all kinds of places around Portland but you might want to ask Ravi or someone else about Seattle. I'll be there tomorrow but I am not real familiar with where to eat.

See you at Food Fight! There are about 20 forum members here in Portland so maybe a few of us can meet up to say hi

P.S. Dec. 8th is significant because is was on that day in 1995 that I gave up animal products

Trev,

I'd definitely be up for meeting and hanging out when your crew passes through Portland. Food Fight is right down the street from my house. There are tons of great vegan dining options in Portland - what kinds of foods would you like to have? Conveniently located on the road between FF! & the highway are 2 of my personal favorites:

Bay Leaf, 4768 SE Division St. - (503) 232-7058

"Asian vegetarian cuisine, creative Chinese-style dishes; 90% vegan."

Mon–Sat, 11 am – 10 pm; Sun, 12 pm – 9:30 pm

Van Hahn, 8446 SE Division St., (503) 788-0825 "Tasty, reasonable Vietnamese cuisine" Mon, Wed–Sat, 10 am – 9 pm; Sun, 11 am – 9 pm

I grabbed that info from the NW-Veg website:

http://www.nwveg.org/vegdining.htm

There are also 2 other vegetarian & almost vegan grocery stores in the same general neighborhood as Food Fight! that are well worth checking out:

People's Food Co-op, 3029 SE 21st Ave, 503-232-9051 http://www.peoples.coop

The Daily Grind Natural Foods[/b, 4026 SE Hawthorne Blvd, 503-233-5521

A cool coffeehouse/internet cafe/general hangout I recommend is also nearby:

Red & Black Café, 2138 SE Division St., (503) 231-3899

http://www.redandblackcafe.com

"Worker owned, low prices for meals, mostly organic, including organic beer & wine; live music & open mic nights."

Mon-Fri, 7:30am – 11pm; Sat-Sun, 8am - 11pm

As for Seattle, my top pick is the all-vegan Wayward Cafe, 901 NE 55th St, (1 block west of Roosevelt) 206-524-0204

I also liked:

Araya's, 1121 NE 45th St (at 12th Ave NE) 206-524-4332

"Vegan, Thai, Buffet, Organic, Take-out - features a daily lunch buffet Mon-Sat all-you-can-eat. Open daily from 11:30am to about 9pm."

and

Mighty-O Donuts, 2110 N 55th St, 206-547-0335 " Vegan donuts contains mostly organic ingedients, plus vegan sandwiches and organic espresso bar. Open Mon-Tue 6a-12p, Wed-Fri 6a-5p, Sat-Sun 7a-5p."

I have heard great things about this place but have not tried it yet:

Hillside Quickie Vegan Sandwich Shop, 4106 Brooklyn Ave NE, (at 41st, University District) 206-632-3037 "Vegan, Take-out - Small shop located off the beaten path; sandwiches made to order, salads, and desserts; fresh vegan sandwiches also available in local health food and grocery stores. Also another location on Capitol Hill. "

Hope that helps. I look forward to meeting ya'll & hope ya have a great trip!

Thanks, loveliberate! Awesome info. So many choices! Look forward to meeting the Portland crowd - you people are tight!

While in SF, we're staying at the Hotel California for a couple nights and are going to check out Millenium (in the hotel), and hopefully a couple other SF vegan joints. We'll put a review of Millenium on our site. We'll of course also write a detailed journal/reviews of our vegan roadtrip and all the places we're going to try, incl. Food Fight. So excited!

Keep ya'all posted...

Trev

Oh, hey, anyone know how readily available diesel (or biodiesel) is on Hwy 101 (between Cannon Beach and the Bay Area)??? Our car has a range of about 250 to 310 miles give or take a few. I've never driven a diesel down. Maybe this is a weird place to post...

Thanks, loveliberate! Awesome info. So many choices! Look forward to meeting the Portland crowd - you people are tight!

While in SF, we're staying at the Hotel California for a couple nights and are going to check out Millenium (in the hotel), and hopefully a couple other SF vegan joints. We'll put a review of Millenium on our site. We'll of course also write a detailed journal/reviews of our vegan roadtrip and all the places we're going to try, incl. Food Fight. So excited!

Keep ya'all posted...

Trev

Hi Trev,

While you are in SF, you should try to eat at Cafe Gratitude. It is a raw, vegan restaurant and it is excellent. They have 2 locations in SF and 1 in Berkeley. It is our favorite restaurant!

Here is a link to the menu. Enjoy your trip!

http://www.withthecurrent.com/menu.html

Thanks, EatRaw! That menu looks amazing! Might have to move there. I'm really getting excited about the trip now -- leaving in 4 days...

jonzen: really looking forward to Millenium too. We might bring our non-vegan friends here.

Cheers!

I retract what I said above in parnenthetical about biodiesel. I didn't realize that a lot of it's animal fat, especially around thx-giving when it's a lot of turkey fat leftover from fried turkey. I haven't put it in my car yet, and I don't think I will. Unless I find a source that I know is vegetable oil based. Sorry for the digression.

Trev,

Any specific plans for Thursday?

As for veg-diesel, I still think it beats the regular crud. Right now, they are not killing critters just to make the stuff so I believe it's better than letting the leftover oils get trashed. I really like the idea of using the waste oil but dont think growing plants just for making veggie diesel is a good idea at all...

Right now, just making it to Portland in one piece! We're supposed to get a bunch more snow the night before we leave. Oh well, I'm from back east, a little frost ain't gonna stop me.

We're planning to go straight to Food Fight on Thurs. Proabably be there between 10 am and noon, depending on the weather, and if we manage as early a start as we're hoping. Didn't plan anything else, other than checking the place out, stocking up on some goodies, and meeting Robert and whoever else might be there! Would be cool to meet a few of the forum members in person!

Unfortunately we can't hang out in Portland all day (we'll save that for future trips only to Portland) because we want to get pretty deep into Cali for the night. We don't have a real strict itinerary tho.

Vegan Road Trip postponed due to blizzard in Vancouver! Barely made it home from 5 minutes away! Vancouver doesn't know what to do when it snows, so there's not a plowed street, or a grain of salt anywhere.

Supposed to clear up by tomorrow afternoon, so maybe a later start, maybe leaving Friday.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...