Info on declawing

Kathryn

After volunteering at my local shelter for several years, and being highly frustrated at the number of people who automatically want to declaw cats, I decided to provide some easy-to-read info on it. I found a wonderful website, and copied out the info for the shelter to distribute (I asked the author for permission, and credit her as author).

If anyone is interested in doing what I did (make copies and provide the local shelter with the info to hand out), I have the info in a 6-page handout. The first page (which I copied out separately) is probably the best overview of why not to declaw, and also contains info about alternatives and a mention of the site to get more info. The next 4 pages make a good handout on their own, and go into depth about why cats scratch and alternatives to declawing. The last page is info on how to trim cats' claws.

Please email me if you are interested, and I'll send you a copy (specify Word or Wordperfect) and you can use whichever pages you want to make copies.

This is good info to know.

Even my girlfriend's family doesn't declaw their cats. They're totally non-AR people at all and they still understand the stupidity behind it.

My mom's friend had a lawsuit filed against her because some idiot left their declawed cat outside tied up on a leash. Said cat was mauled by my mom's friends cat who had claws.

That's like putting bait in your back yard. Total idiots. Of course, knowing the area helps you realize that this sort of thing is probably pretty normal. I think there's something about money that makes people numb to common sense.