The Possible Causes of Hair Loss

I've been wanting to ask about my hair, which I believe is falling out. I've been having many struggles in the past and present--I'm still living in a toxic domestic environment. I've had a history of anorexia, though like any eating disorder---there's always a piece of it that stays.

I take a (vegan) multi-vitamin everyday, plus I get my Omega-3s from flax seeds and hempseed oil daily--but after reading this thread, I may want to go from flax seeds to flax oil (I've had flax oil before and loved it). The possibility of it being stress that's causing it, would definitely be a possibility, considering the environment I'm in.

As well, I'm wondering if it could be the shampoo and conditioner I'm using. My lifestyle is vegan (obviously) and my diet is completely organic as well as wheat-free, gluten-free, caffeine-free, and contains no added sugar. I'm wheat-free/gluten-free because I've read a number of articles that it is harmful to my Asperger's Syndrome (as well as anything on the autistic spectrum). Would being affected from wheat/gluten products within hair/skin products apply too? That hadn't crossed my mind until I saw these "gluten-free shampoos" on the online shop, Vegan Essentials (www.veganessetials.com). Could I be allergic to an ingredient in my shampoos?

I'm wondering if I have a thyroid issue too--I've researched hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism and the funny thing is that I have a few symptoms from both.

A couple of weeks ago, my mom tactlessly remarked about my "hair falling out", which I was hurt by (because of the aggressive and guilt-tripping tone and the tactlessness). I do get big clumps when I'm brushing it. And I do have less hair than I used to. Maybe is it not as bad as I think it could be?

Stress puts on age too.

If anyone could provide any help/advice, I would greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks in advance!

Well, it's hard to say how serious it is. The social work liason didn't think anything of my hair, though she did (politely) express a bit of concern when I mentioned it. I'm also psychosomatic, which sometimes makes me take things more seriously than necessary. I'd just like to know some answers (on my own terms and for the sake of knowing more about my health).

Hormone imbalance is likely. Stress (the story of my life) is very likely. It could be a combination of things too.

I refuse to take birth control pills and any medications--just like all other pharmaceuticals--they're not vegan and they have horrible health risks/side effects.

Yeah, I think it's wise to avoid birth control pills, from what I've read about them. I used to know a girl who lost some of her hair, not to the extent that she was bald or anything, but a lot seemed to come out when she brushed her hair, and it would come out easily if she tugged it. She had various anxiety disorders and OCD, and I always assumed it was because of that, but I never found out for sure if that was why

Yeah, I think it's wise to avoid birth control pills, from what I've read about them.

Thanks. My (holistic) doctor agrees too.

I sure would like to know reasons for certain things about me. It's best when I keep it to myself and people that I can trust. I'm glad to have this forum.

Hey, MF

You know, if it's stress-related, there isn't too much you can do for it except get rid of the stress, of course!

But, if it's not, then, honestly, there's no substitute for a healthful diet. I know I harp on it, but Dr. Fuhrman's Eat to Live style eating is superior because you get TONS of nutrients, phytochemicals, micronutrients, etc., which go to healing all over; so it definitely helps with hair, skin, and nails, as well as weight loss, better mental and emotional health (because the brain is being properly nourished) -- everything, really.

I will add, though, that diet is not the cureall for every issue. There is as I mentioned in the other thread a need to take care of the other issues, such as you mentioned, the stress, etc.

NOW, for some supplements I have personal knowledge of working; perhaps, they will help you

These two, taken together will almost certainly show benefits -- MSM + BIOSIL

If these aren't available where you are, I'm sure you can find another brand which offers it where you are.

You also want to make sure you are getting enough Vitamin D and Calcium. Vitamin D via sunlight is best, but if not sunny every day where you are, then you should be taking it in supplemental form.

Also, lots of Vitamin K! It's abundant in leafy greens (Eat to Live requires one eat lots of greens which is probably why everyone on that diet has great aesthetics results with hair, skin, nails, etc.)

Another important one: you may not be converting your Omega 3's to EPA..I would consider a vegan DHA supplement. It will be more insurance that you are getting what you need, if your flax isn't converting well (beneficial for things such as hair,skin, nails; and emotional/mental functions). There is the NuTru brand, "OmegaZen3", which is good and reasonably priced. Personally, I think everyone should take DHA supplement (even omnis); it's just too important, and too lacking in the average diet. Dr. Fuhrman has one also, a bit more expensive, though.

I also found this one a while back and posted here about it -- cerebrum Capsules or Water for Life -- both use the same source; in fact, I think this is the only vegan dha source, just various distributors.

It may take some time because your old hair isn't going to suddenly look full! You have to wait for the *new* hair to grow in, which it will.

Mine did. My hair is about 1/4 fuller than it was and growing fast. It's down to my tailbone right now, and I have to cut it very often nowadays!

Also, I would not advise flax oil or hemp oil; flax seeds, ground is much more nutritious and advantageous. You may want to consider other sources of EFA's such as adding some hemp seeds, walnuts, or -- my favorite -- Chia seeds!

Really, it's basically getting a healthy diet; but those are some things to consider.

I'll look into that book when I get a chance. Thanks.

These two, taken together will almost certainly show benefits -- MSM + BIOSIL

If these aren't available where you are, I'm sure you can find another brand which offers it where you are. .

Those sound intriguing. I have heard of NOW. Would you mind educating me on BIOSIL and MSM?

You also want to make sure you are getting enough Vitamin D and Calcium. Vitamin D via sunlight is best, but if not sunny every day where you are, then you should be taking it in supplemental form. Also, lots of Vitamin K! It's abundant in leafy greens (Eat to Live requires one eat lots of greens which is probably why everyone on that diet has great aesthetics results with hair, skin, nails, etc.).

I take a vegan multivitamin every day, which includes 400 IU/100% Vitamin D daily value. Should I take a Vitamin D2 supplement in additon to my multivitamin? I LOVE my leafy greens--kale, spinach, and so much more! I want to start regularly incorporating organic seaweed into my diet too (good source of iodine).

Another important one: you may not be converting your Omega 3's to EPA..I would consider a vegan DHA supplement. It will be more insurance that you are getting what you need, if your flax isn't converting well (beneficial for things such as hair,skin, nails; and emotional/mental functions).

I'll be sure to look into that. I'm sure that the local co-op might have some, if not, I'll look to buying online.

Also, I would not advise flax oil or hemp oil; flax seeds, ground is much more nutritious and advantageous. You may want to consider other sources of EFA's such as adding some hemp seeds, walnuts, or -- my favorite -- Chia seeds!

Really, it's basically getting a healthy diet; but those are some things to consider.

I thought oil was more easily absorbed. Mind you, by no means am I against the use of seeds. I know that the two forms--seeds and oils--can give some different nutrients. What makes the seed form more advantageous to the oil form? It's also good to include a little oil in your diet.

Chia seeds, hmmm? I've never heard of them, but I'm definitely interested.

I research vitamins and supplements from time to time. I am not a vegan but I eat a large portion of vegan and vegitarian means. In this case it is not important.

I just wanted to meantion Nettle. Taking nettle regularly has been proven to strengthen and grow hair for many people. I will get back later and find a source to post but look into it.

-Dylan

MF, when you take oil, you are taking a food which has been stripped of the majority of its nutrients.

"Flax seeds also contain many other heart disease and cancer-fighting substances, such as lignans, flavonoids, sterols and fibers."

_excerption from "Cholesterol Protection For Life"

"...nutritional advisors typically encourages the consume high amounts of flax seed oil to permit the conversion of enough DHA. I do not agree with this advice. First of all oil is empty calorie food with little or no vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals and flavonoids that were present in the original seeds. To encourage health seekers to consume three tablespoons of flax oil a day is adding 360 low nutrient calories to your daily diet. Furthermore we have a significant collection of data that indicates that the consumption of high doses of ALA from flax oil may increase, not decrease the risk of prostate cancer2. Whereas flax seed consumption has been shown in multiple studies to lower the risk of both breast cancer and prostate cancer3; in contrast, flax oil and high ALA consumption has been linked to increased risk."

_excerption from Dr.Fuhrman.com

I agree with the nettles; however, you should research a bit and consider it carefully for possible interactions with medications. You may also find it's not safe for the particular condition your body is. So do a bit of research first before taking nettles .

Biosil is a more potent form of silica. If you want,you can take horsetail(read cautions, of course) instead, it's just not as potent.

I also have taken borage oil for purely aesthetic reasons, and found it very nourishing for my hair and skin; however, it is a bit controversial, so , again, research to see if it's for you. It shouldn't be taken for long periods or in large doses either way. I was taking 1/2 tsp. then switched to 1/4 tsp. I went through 8 ounces then went off it for 6 months, then went back on it for 4 ounces. I'm off it again.

It is also being studied for helping with the conversion of GLA, which normally occurs with flax and other Omega 3 foods, but it's inconclusive at this time. It's suspected to help with those suffering effects of not consuming enough EFA's or not converting; so many (it's contended) may need a straight GLA source,thus, the borage which is the highest source of GLA known.