arizona fort huachuca

michellekdo

my husband is in the military and will reclass in fort huachuca. his training will be 4months. i'm not really looking forward to moving but it's better than not seeing him for 4 months. i know that they offer tones of cool activities on post and hope i will meet some people while doing that.

Hola,

I used to live in Bisbee, Arizona which is about 25 minutes east of Ft. Huachuca / Sierra Vista. I'm happy to try and answer any questions you may have about that area!

Sierra Vista & Fort Huachaca embody the worst of American culture with strip malls, subdivisions & such. Let's not forget that the area not only home to the US Army Intelligence Center & School but also has all kinds of racist &/or xenophobic homeland defenders such as the "Minutemen", etc. More migrants have died in the desert around there than just about anywhere. The devastation the border & all that goes along with it has caused the environment & the animal + human communites is staggeringly immense...

I did meet a Buddhist Vegetarian guy from Fort Huachuca - he said he was on his way to "interrogate detainee's & unlawful combatant's" at some place called Guantonamo Bay, Cuba...

I'll limit my political commentary for now & move on to the many positive

things about the area. There is a great little flea market on the road to Bisbee where you can buy all kinds of great stuff at great prices I used to get some awesome fresh homemade vegan kimchee from a Korean woman there. Sierra Vista in general has some decent Asian food places. They also used to have a Coffee Shop / Gun Store there!

On the other hand, Bisbee is one of my favorite places anywhere. There used to be a vegan restaurant but it closed a few years ago. You'll have a much easier time finding vegans & other cool folks in Bisbee & ya can get most things you might want at the Bisbee Food Coop. SV has larger grocery stores & when you should find an ok selection of basic foods including some organic stuff, tofu, soymilk, etc at most of the larger local grocery stores - even the one on the base.

Have a look at: http://happycow.net/north_america/usa/arizona/index.html & check out the stuff for Sonoita, Patagonia, Bisbee & Tucson. These are all towns within about an hours drive of Fort Huachuca. There are veg restaurant in Tucson & tons of natural foods stores.

Southeastern Arizona is home to particularly beautiful & very diverse nature with the San Pedro river valley, the various "sky island & desert praire" mountains & high desert grasslands & so much more. The Sonoran & Chihuahuan desert ecosystems merge there so many species intermingle that otherwise wouldn't. Jaguars, parrots & other awesome critters will occasionally even join with those crossing la frontera from Mexico. There are even wolves nearby & I've heard that the last known grizzly in Arizona lived near Sierra Vista before it was murdered...

Sonora is the state in Mexico that is just south of Arizona. It has tons of cool things to offer & I highly recommend crossing the line to check it all out. Generally the further in you head, the better it is. Hermosillo, Sonora has a very nice natural foods store. I know several Vegans & Veg folks in Sonora - if you are interested I can tell you more about Sonora & Mexico.

Hope this helps - please do ask me any questions you have about the region!

• 1 month later...

i lived in flagstaff, and lake havasu city, az for about 9 months last year. and travelled and explored all over Arizona.

make sure to check out havasupai falls. that place is amazing.

my girlfriend is moving back to AZ in june. she will be living in Phoenix.