processed food makes me sick

Hero

okay so ive been going thru extreme moods from detoxin' and my body has been getting weak and dizzy. i thought maybe i need to eat processed foods since i am poor and cant afford to buy the correct amount of fruits to get the calories my body craves. and once I have money to eat raw properly id go back to that because i am ultra skinny right now and being skinny is causing me problems.

so ive been eating thomas' bagels, tomato soup, amys organic chili, and silk chocolate soymilk. taking in close to 4,000 calories daily and 130-150g protein

the protein feels good and the healthy omega fats. but now heres the thing:

-my body wants to sleep all the time and i have no energy

-i am broken out EVERYWHERE

-my farts/poop smells volatile

-constipated

-i feel very slothy

-i have trouble thinking clearly

I eat all those calories like fluff and am still hungry. yet when im raw i can barely force myself to eat 2,000 calories and my body craves certain fruits and whatnot.

but with eating cooked foods and higher protein intake, i can muscle fastly.

with being raw i dont, i guess its cause i still have to keep detoxing right? and all i did was make the process longer by giving in to processed foods?

Okay so back to raw foods for me I guess.

Maybe you can try using some sprouted lentils for eating raw? I had them for a few weeks once when I went raw and they worked quite well. They sprout quickly and are really tasty. I have heard you may want to use garlic, turmeric, ginger or other herbs that help with digesting when eating them to reduce bloating and help your body adjust to them. I used garlic when I ate them and I had no gastrointestinal problems.

Like I told you before...your not craving calories nor protien, your going through withdrawl symptoms and detox...simple as that, you either put up with it or you quit....there's a right way and a wrong way to do this and right now your making all the common mistakes....are you cleansing?

Going through all this and eating cooked foods will confuse your body and will make you even more tired/worse.

see previous posts for doing it the right way...

Maybe you can try using some sprouted lentils for eating raw? I had them for a few weeks once when I went raw and they worked quite well. They sprout quickly and are really tasty. I have heard you may want to use garlic, turmeric, ginger or other herbs that help with digesting when eating them to reduce bloating and help your body adjust to them. I used garlic when I ate them and I had no gastrointestinal problems.

oh yeh i was eating Ezekiel's sprouted grain raisin bread too when i was eating processed foods.

woah, i didnt even think that i could sprout lentils. i never thought about that.

i love lentils so much. that be amazing. how do i go about sprouting?

Like I told you before...your not craving calories nor protien, your going through withdrawl symptoms and detox...simple as that, you either put up with it or you quit....there's a right way and a wrong way to do this and right now your making all the common mistakes....are you cleansing?

Going through all this and eating cooked foods will confuse your body and will make you even more tired/worse.

see previous posts for doing it the right way...

okay, thanks bigwii. im gonna have to do a cleanse then, and stick with it.

Here is a link to a site with lots of equipment and instructions for sprouting. http://sproutpeople.com/grow/sprouting.html

I use an Easy Sprout, which works well for me living in a dorm since I don't have the best access to a sink. http://www.sproutpeople.com/devices/ez/easysprout.html

You don't likely need to buy their seeds for sprouting. Whatever organic seeds or legumes you buy should work. You may be able to use non-organic, I am not sure if those sprout as reliably, though. Other possible sprouts are garbanzos, mung beans and aduki (adzuki or however your local places are spelling it). I have heard soy works but that they are a little gross and I am not positive on their safety. Other beans can't be consumed raw, but can still be sprouted.

okay so ive been going thru extreme moods from detoxin' and my body has been getting weak and dizzy. i thought maybe i need to eat processed foods since i am poor and cant afford to buy the correct amount of fruits to get the calories my body craves. and once I have money to eat raw properly id go back to that because i am ultra skinny right now and being skinny is causing me problems.

so ive been eating thomas' bagels, tomato soup, amys organic chili, and silk chocolate soymilk. taking in close to 4,000 calories daily and 130-150g protein

the protein feels good and the healthy omega fats. but now heres the thing:

-my body wants to sleep all the time and i have no energy

-i am broken out EVERYWHERE

-my farts/poop smells volatile

-constipated

-i feel very slothy

-i have trouble thinking clearly

I eat all those calories like fluff and am still hungry. yet when im raw i can barely force myself to eat 2,000 calories and my body craves certain fruits and whatnot.

but with eating cooked foods and higher protein intake, i can muscle fastly.

with being raw i dont, i guess its cause i still have to keep detoxing right? and all i did was make the process longer by giving in to processed foods?

Okay so back to raw foods for me I guess.

I didn't have the mood swings (as far as I know, the people around my might say otherwise) but I definitely had some weakness and dizziness when I tried going straight to raw, just like you described. I think that I was actually consuming enough nutrition and calories, but that my digestive system hadn't yet adjusted enough to be able to assimilate it properly. I think I was simultaneously being overwhelmed by the detox, which just made it worse. (30+ years of various levels of unhealthy eating leaves a big mess to clean up...)

Now that I'm partially adjusted to raw and am transitioning slowly, I feel much better. I can eat cooked whole foods - stuff like baked potatoes, steamed veggies, homemade hummus, stir-fry, etc in moderate quantities and still feel good... but I've discovered I can no longer eat processed crap in any quantity and expect to feel ok. I had a couple of boca burgers with potato chips and root beer earlier this week, and felt just like you said... slothy, sleepy, scatterbrained... and I don't even want to BEGIN to describe the bathroom odors. And I got a headache that lasted until the food had passed. A year ago when I was eating boca burgers regularly, it never affected me like that. And another weird thing - I was absolutely stuffed, couldn't possibly eat another bite, but I somehow was still feeling hungry. I feel like my body is rejecting processed stuff as "not food" because it's become accustomed to good stuff like fruits, smoothies, and salads.

For me, transitioning to raw has worked best.. and the more raw I get, the better I feel, as long as I don't try to change too quickly. For some, jumping right into raw and just dealing with the detox period like Bigbwii describes has worked best. I think everybody's body is a little different, and we need to listen to our own for the best advice. Yours (and mine) is clearly screaming "NO PROCESSED FOOD, PLEASE!!!"

Topher you work a laborious job right now don't you? It's nonsense to say you don't need more calories than the average person.. If you're working hard everyday, you will need to eat more plain and simple... I go through detox without getting dizzy, but my caloric needs are probably much lower. I think you're probably just hungry. You said you can't afford enough fruits to keep you full. Don't screw yourself over thinking it's just detox. I'm not saying eat processed food, but you can't just undereat and say the cause for the weakness is detox.. I think gorilla has been on fruits only for 3 weeks, while training without the dizziness/detox symptoms, even though he's probably still cleansing himself. I think you've just got to eat more.

If you really want to do the fruit thing, maybe base your diet around bananas and maybe some nuts/seeds, both have quite a few calories. Bananas are pretty cheap too..

Topher you work a laborious job right now don't you? It's nonsense to say you don't need more calories than the average person.. If you're working hard everyday, you will need to eat more plain and simple... I go through detox without getting dizzy, but my caloric needs are probably much lower. I think you're probably just hungry. You said you can't afford enough fruits to keep you full. Don't screw yourself over thinking it's just detox. I'm not saying eat processed food, but you can't just undereat and say the cause for the weakness is detox.. I think gorilla has been on fruits only for 3 weeks, while training without the dizziness/detox symptoms, even though he's probably still cleansing himself. I think you've just got to eat more.

If you really want to do the fruit thing, maybe base your diet around bananas and maybe some nuts/seeds, both have quite a few calories. Bananas are pretty cheap too..

Zack your talking from the prospective of someone that eats cooked foods and to be honest I really don't think you can assist hero until you have been through it and come out the other side yourself.

Hero can eat all he wants but he's still gonna have to go through detox/withdrawls, so don't be so dismisive Zack....this is a very emotionally draining process and is very easy for the average joe bloggs to mis-diagnose what's happening!

Zack your talking from the prospective of someone that eats cooked foods and to be honest I really don't think you can assist hero until you have been through it and come out the other side yourself.

Hero can eat all he wants but he's still gonna have to go through detox/withdrawls, so don't be so dismisive Zack....this is a very emotionally draining process and is very easy for the average joe bloggs to mis-diagnose what's happening!

I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying, you are right. I'm simply saying he needs to make sure he is actually eating enough, he said he couldn't afford it, which would likely mean he's not eating enough to me.

As for me, I've been through detox, I've been raw a few times, I do have experience with what it's like. I actually have to be very careful about toxicity because my liver is very impaired, along with my spleen. I'm not the topic here though so doesn't need to be discussed.

thanks for the advice everyone.

i know i am definately not taking in enough food, cause my body calls for certain fruits and i cant afford to eat em. and i also know my body has to go thru detox.

my hardest problem is i go thru crazy mood swings, and until i can get them under "control", its very hard for me to go raw. cause not eating lots of calories and/or the foods my body craves causes huge mood swings.

i will learn to deal with it all soon and find a way to go raw and stay raw.

what raw foods are you eating? i know you once talked about consuming like a lb of dried seeds per day and from my own experience this is destructive.

not all raw is created equal. i'll make the recommendation even though you have no reason to believe it or follow it as it takes some understanding but i will try anyway...

forget about protein, calories, fat. eat nothing but juicy fruits for 90 days in whatever quantity your body desires.

it can be inexpensive just takes effort and if it costs more then it's money well spent. it will come back to you, because, how good a work do you do when you only want to sleep all day?

yes some detox is inevitable but i am starting to realize that a lot of what we call de-tox is really re-tox and that even a typical raw diet is sincerely flawed.

if you want it, take it.

what raw foods are you eating? i know you once talked about consuming like a lb of dried seeds per day and from my own experience this is destructive.

not all raw is created equal. i'll make the recommendation even though you have no reason to believe it or follow it as it takes some understanding but i will try anyway...

forget about protein, calories, fat. eat nothing but juicy fruits for 90 days in whatever quantity your body desires.

it can be inexpensive just takes effort and if it costs more then it's money well spent. it will come back to you, because, how good a work do you do when you only want to sleep all day?

yes some detox is inevitable but i am starting to realize that a lot of what we call de-tox is really re-tox and that even a typical raw diet is sincerely flawed.

if you want it, take it.

lots of fruits, and ocassionally nuts/seeds. i cant force myself to eat more than a handful of nuts/seeds a day.

im just watching myself getting skinnier/weaker and thats causing problems for me.

the thing is i dont truly know what my body desires. but i am just gonna eat fruit and stuff and let my body get really skinny, and then hopefully build muscle on fruit and nuts/seeds. i think if i can afford hempseed shakes, i will be fine.

i dont like really sweat fruits sometimes cause my teeth feel sensitive to it. i kinda like plain tasting stuff.

im just gonna keep eating and drinking lots of water and see what happens over next few months.

i also really like drinking kombucha tea.

if you want it, take it.

lots of fruits, and ocassionally nuts/seeds. i cant force myself to eat more than a handful of nuts/seeds a day.

im just watching myself getting skinnier/weaker and thats causing problems for me.

the thing is i dont truly know what my body desires. but i am just gonna eat fruit and stuff and let my body get really skinny, and then hopefully build muscle on fruit and nuts/seeds. i think if i can afford hempseed shakes, i will be fine.

i dont like really sweat fruits sometimes cause my teeth feel sensitive to it. i kinda like plain tasting stuff.

im just gonna keep eating and drinking lots of water and see what happens over next few months.

i also really like drinking kombucha tea.

You still don't seem to understand whats going on Hero....did that stuff I sent you not help.

If you don't understand what's going your going to go back to what you know best and that's a big mistake.

Getting skinny is a good sign it means your detox has started and your body is busy cleaning out, you've got rid of some poison so you have lost some retained water, which is good news right?

So all that muscle you thought you had was just excess water!

Now your gonna see what you really got!

Actually everything you describe seems to me to be not eating enough. I know if I feel weak and dizzy it's becuase I'm not getting enough food. Also the people I know who don't eat enough often are weak and have complained to me about dizzyness. EAT MORE!

I agree, there's a difference between syptoms of detox and hunger, you seem hungry.

An active man your size needs to eat more then 2000 calories a day.

I don't think getting skinny is a 'good sign' unless your strength is the same. But you say you feeling weak and tired. You need to eat and sleep more. I don't care if it's raw or not, just eat more.

I am sure it is sometimes hard to say wether the symptoms you have are from hunger or detox.

During the last 14 months I lost 1kg (2.2pounds) per month. I started at 96kg (212) and now I am at 82kg (180). During all that time I made sure to eat between 2500 and 3000 kcals. It was fascinating to see how much weight I lost although eating enough. It is more about what you eat.

Now I reached a plateau (keeping my weight for 2 month) and will start to build some (almost raw) muscle.

@Hero: Make sure you eat enough. Do not overeat because this may cause problems. Relax. Even my bests friends and family told me that I look too skinny and that I do not look good. And even though I was prepared for that statements, they are hard to hear...