Running

JW

I know we have some runners out there.....

I've just started to run again and it feels really good.

I think if I keep my runs to 10K max I should be fine.

About 10 years ago I ran a marathon and was planning to run a second before succumbing to chronic inflammation in my foot.

It took almost 2 years before I could run pain free.

I didn't have any problems until I worked up to marathon mileage.

I'm guessing that the 5 to 10K distances would be much better for me.

It sure feels great to be back at it!!!

I'd love to hear everyone else's stories & experiences

Awesome, JW. I've just started running in the last 6 or 8 months. I'm only doing 5 to 6k runs so far, but pretty decent pace I think. I'm enjoying it way more than I ever thought I would. I'll work my way up to a good 10k time. Marathon distance? Maybe someday!

How do you find the running impacting your fitness level Trev?

For me, I find no better excercise for getting me lean and keeping me lean.

I wish I could do the marathon thing but my past experience tells me that it just might not be the right distance for me.

10K seems to me manageable for my body and provides a good workout.

There's an almost meditative element to running that is quite addicting.

Nothing like "getting into the zone"!!

I'm planning to back off the mileage for the next couple of months and concentrate on shorter faster stuff. I have a 5K PR of just over 22 minutes, and would like to see that come down a couple minutes, hopefully to 20 minutes. I find 5K's really really hard but it'll be good for me to work on speed for a while.

Now what are your thoughts on the benefits of running versus the obvious risk of injury?

I often wonder whether or not running long distance is really a good thing or not?

I know so many people with chronic injuries due to high mileage.

(self included) It seems as though there are a few genetically gifted people who can handle it but there are a heckuvalot more who seem to break down at some point.

any thoughts?

How do you find the running impacting your fitness level Trev?

It's been awesome for kickboxing - has increased my endurance and my mental ability to push through pain and fatigue for sure. I do really enjoy the meditative part of running. It's just me and my heartbeat and breathing. I haven't run in a little over a week. Must run. (I have been at the gym 5 times a week tho.)

I started out running in 'barefoot' simulator type shoes (Nike Free 5.0) but have switched to regular shoes that work with my feet/running style. I was okay on the barefoots because I have strong feet from KB, but they fell apart with all the mileage I put on them. Anyone else tried the Nike Free or similar type of shoe? They're supposed to be good for foot conditioning and thus prevention of injury.

I do a bit of barefoot running, because I think it's good for the foot to be exposed to a range of stresses. barefoot running involves a completely different type of stride than we're accustomed to, but it's more natural and I know alot of people who have eliminated injuries from their running by going barefoot. Most of the time I wear shoes, though. I am a toe runner, so I look for neutral shoes with a bit of forefoot cushioning, since that's where I wear out my shoes.

As far as injuries versus health trade off, I think that everyone has the potential to run without injury. BUT some people are naturally able to run much longer distances before they risk overuse injuries. For the vast majority of us, we need to take our time and build up mileage very slowly (max of 10% increase in mileage per week is a common number), and be especially careful when adding speed training to the mix. In my training I back off speed and distance the moment I notice that something is starting to get sore, and so I have never been completely sidelined from running. It's a cautious approach and wouldn't work for someone with serious time goals, but it works for me.

In my case, I have a chronic ankle instability due to a nasty ligament tear when I was younger.

I find that even with orthotics, I'm sore after a run regardless of distance.

I can manage it now but I sometimes worry about what that ankle joint will be like in 20 years

You're just weird!

No, I kind of like running in extreme cold and especially in new snow. I used to like running in rain until the race a couple weeks ago, now it's kinda aversive to me. I can't stand running long distances in hot and humid weather, though. it just saps my endurance.

Well markc7, you just confirmed what a lot of people have been thinking

I love running in the rain.

One of my most memorable runs was into the wind on a 2KM stretch of open highway in a downpour on an incline. That was pretty cool!!!!

You just put your head down at gut it out!

Does anyone else here like running in horrible conditions or am I just weird?

You're not weird, you're from Winnepeg! But then this is coming from someone in Vancouver... never mind.

Personally I like to run when it's nice out - sunny, hot, the hotter the better. That gives me 3, maybe 4 good days of the year to run out here in Van. I mostly stay in the gym and hit bags full of sand.

• 1 month later...

I'm going to run a marathon in November, then again in March '08. I've been running 2-4 miles mostly but really easy and refueling, and I'm focusing a lot on recovery (resting on days I don't feel quite right). This really has worked out well. After the harder runs I was doing the Vega smoothie thing and found I was recovering really well, too. Then my long run was a 5-miler and it turned into an 8-miler because I felt so good. Anyway, training's going well. I've run 4 marathons before so I know what to expect. Running in the rain here is cool, too.

• 3 weeks later...

I am new to running. It's always been a bit hard for me, I could never keep up with other runners, but since I don't believe in limiting myself, and since I'm going to be a trainer I figured I'd better over come this obstacle. Actually a trainer at my gym suggested the whole problem might be more of a mental block, than an actual physical one. So far it seems he's right. I have a question about running. What is a good pace for women to run? I'm in pretty good shape, but there's always room to grow in your exercise routine. Right now I am doing the treadmill thing at 5.0 miles an hour. I have no idea if this is a good pace, or if it sounds like I'm a turtle! I run every time I go the gym, that's at least 5 days a week, but as of now I'm building up my endurance, and only run for a mile before my group exercise class of the day.

Its all relative and using a heart rate monitor is actually a better judge. Weight compared to height is also very important since these things very greatly. If you know your heart rate at a given speed and know how long you want to run I could give you a good estimate.

• 3 weeks later...
I am new to running. It's always been a bit hard for me, I could never keep up with other runners, but since I don't believe in limiting myself, and since I'm going to be a trainer I figured I'd better over come this obstacle. Actually a trainer at my gym suggested the whole problem might be more of a mental block, than an actual physical one. So far it seems he's right. I have a question about running. What is a good pace for women to run? I'm in pretty good shape, but there's always room to grow in your exercise routine. Right now I am doing the treadmill thing at 5.0 miles an hour. I have no idea if this is a good pace, or if it sounds like I'm a turtle! I run every time I go the gym, that's at least 5 days a week, but as of now I'm building up my endurance, and only run for a mile before my group exercise class of the day.
There is no "proper speed" to measure fitness. But to improve you'll need to increase your efforts by doing some threshold training. A heart rate monitor, as potter suggests, is great for this sort of thing.

Do some "intervals", either on the treadmill or the road, in which you bring your heart rate up for a set amount of time, then rest. I'd start by doing an easy warm up run for 10-15 minutes, then do 30 seconds at your threshold (typically at 80-85% max heart rate) either by going faster on a flat section or doing an incline/hill that allows 30 seconds of running, then two minutes off (jog at an easy pace to recover). Do it two or three times consecutively in that workout. Do this workout once or twice a week if you are doing nothing other than just running a steady easy pace. Then adjust it as needed to increase load after you've rested (decrease you rest time and/or increase your interval time) and you'll get faster.

Accelerations also help increase speed and fitness. After warming up, find a gradual hill, then gradually increase your speed (with good cadence). Do these a couple times, but don't overdo it. You'll feel them the next day.

If you are running one mile at a time, you are not ready to start doing intervals yet! Intervals and other faster workouts are great for improving your speed, but you must get your endurance to a point where you can handle greater distances before you try to go faster.

A heart rate monitor is a good suggestion. But don't use it to push yourself to go faster, use it to ensure that you're doing your runs at an aerobic pace (60% of max heart rate). Do those runs for progressively longer distances, taking walk breaks if you need to. I would suggest increasing the length of your runs by around five minutes each week.

Once you get up to running for half an hour or more, than you can start improving your speed and doing those fun workouts that Matt mentioned.

Good luck!