Coconut Water & Flesh / Meat - Need more insights.

I had a coconut a couple of months back, & had the task of getting it open for me and my g/f.

I wrapped it in a towel, & smashed the crap out of it with a hammer on the kitchen floor.

Seemed to do the trick.

My girlfriend asked me, is that the way you are supposed to do it? And I jokingly said "thats how the natives have always done it" to which she replied in her truly gullable way "Is it really?"

Bless her.The idea that some ancient native tribes used tea towels & hammers is classic.

Jokes aside, I'll make the topic simple.......

Coconuts are fine, if eaten in MODERATION, like most things.Oh and I only mean actual coconuts.None of this oil/juice crap.Just eat it properly or not at all - in my opinion.

You guys bring back some memories. The last time I had a fresh coconut, I was on an island of Turks & Caicos and was hanging out with a Canadian who lived there. He climbed up a tree, picked a coconut and proceeded to open it. I was so impressed with his climbing skills that I barely remember how he opened it!

• 4 weeks later...
You guys bring back some memories. The last time I had a fresh coconut, I was on an island of Turks & Caicos and was hanging out with a Canadian who lived there. He climbed up a tree, picked a coconut and proceeded to open it. I was so impressed with his climbing skills that I barely remember how he opened it!

Ditto, back in 2002, when I went to costa rica on a tour in the vicinity of the arenal volcano, we stopped to look at some man made river and a guy got out of his truck and offered us a coconut from his truck. He just got back from harvesting a whole bunch of them with his daughter. They let us drink the water out of it and then blasted some music and we all were dancing in the street for a bit

One Natural Experience (ONE) Coconut Water Tetrapaks at Whole Foods. The BEST coconut water i have had in the United States.

Agreed, if you need quick electrolytes on the go. I would imagine 'Zico One' water is pasteurized but it's a better choice than some fruit juice cocktail drink and sometimes we need a quikc fix on the go.

I also, like Offense mentioned, love to use coconut oil all over my skin. I use it to tan (not a sunblock, enhancer!) and to shave, exclusively...

Troy, mature coconut flesh is much drier. The young thai coconuts, however are very smooth. Try those and you won't be disappointed. I try to have at least one a day

Again, the asian food market seems to be the cheapest for canned coconut juice. It's definitely not as good as fresh, but better than other convenient beverages, I think.

Coconut water? None of the asian markets in my area have coconut water without added sugars. Just something to keep in mind.

• 4 months later...
Hey guys... long time no see

One Natural Experience (ONE) Coconut Water Tetrapaks at Whole Foods. The BEST coconut water i have had in the United States.

http://www.onenaturalexperience.com

Second best

Vita Coconut Water.

BTW - The last few months I was in the States I was picking up the DOZEN TETRAPAK Boxes. Whole Foods would punch in 10% Off. You wont find them in the local grocer... Whole Foods or places like that... Or Order Online by the Case (cheaper).