Joint pain after lifting

I'm fairly new to this whole weight lifting thing and there is one negative that I have noticed: joint pain. It only comes after I push myself to lift a little more than usual. It is only in the right elbow, and it feels like it is right inside of the joint. It isn't a terrible pain, but aggravating. It was aching while I was writing at work the other day and was very distracting (I do a LOT of writing at work).

What I want to know is:

1) Is this a sign that I am lifting too much weight?

2) Is this normal and nothing to worry about or should I be concerned? If this is just part of the process, I can certainly handle it

3) Is there anything I can do to prevent this in the future?

I'm normally one to listen to what my body tells me, and right now it is telling me that I am lifting too much weight. I'd rather not reduce the weight I am lifting now because I feel like I am making good progress. Using less weight doesn't seem like enough because I can easily do 12-15 reps without any significant muscle fatigue.

Like I said, I am brand new to this, so I'm sorry if these are basic questions. Thanks in advance for any tips

It may be too much weight for the joint and ligaments. When I quit training and went back to it I got really strong again very quickly. However my joints didn't strengthen at the same speed so I dislocated my shoulder doing lat pull. I should have taken my time. Chances are you may need a break or work your triceps more. Maybe try doing peckdeck for a week or two without any bench or try different pressing angles until it goes away.

Potter, I've got to say that the pec deck itself (or dumbbell flyes, if not done with perfect form) can screw with one's shoulder joints...I avoid these, though I know many do them without joint problems. I've found better luck with the chest fly machine, where you put your forearms on the padded surfaces and squeeze together. But I use a more limited range of motion because starting too far out stresses the shoulders.

As you can see, two people have two different things that help them protect their joints. Overall, I'd say take everything with a grain of salt, be gentle with yourself while experimenting, and find out if there are certain exercises that work for YOU! (For example, I can't do the triceps extension machine with any kind of decent weight because of pain in my right elbow...but I can handle rope pushdowns.)

Good luck!

Thanks for the tips! I actually had some slight discomfort in my elbow last night when I wrote that so I was expecting it to be worse today (as it was before), but today I am pain free. I will take it slowly and listen to my body because I don't want any more problems (have issues with my knee).

I actually have terrible shoulder troubles and the peck deck actually didn't do any damage to them. More than anything...the bench hurt me. So after I got 315 for the first time I stopped and only did dumbbells unless I was maxing. Dumbbells and peckdeck got me away from a lot of pain.

I actually have terrible shoulder troubles and the peck deck actually didn't do any damage to them. More than anything...the bench hurt me. So after I got 315 for the first time I stopped and only did dumbbells unless I was maxing. Dumbbells and peckdeck got me away from a lot of pain.

Ok, I am so new to this I had to Google 'peck deck'

Pec deck is a bad idea. A pointless exercise IMO.

Fyvel - the joint pain that you are experiencing is most likely to be caused by the writing. I found that once I started lifting, light repetitive movements hurt my arms, like computer usage, or playing bass. So I just limit those now, and stop as soon as I experience pain. There isn't really anything that I can suggest to make it go away.

Jonathan

I think its pointless too in the case of simply gaining raw power but if you need a break from an elbow problem I think its a good way to keep you from losing power in your chest.

Fyvel - the joint pain that you are experiencing is most likely to be caused by the writing. I found that once I started lifting, light repetitive movements hurt my arms, like computer usage, or playing bass. So I just limit those now, and stop as soon as I experience pain. There isn't really anything that I can suggest to make it go away.

That's an interesting point, but I'm not so sure about that. The only time I had the problem was the day after increasing weights for basically all of the exercises I do (which aren't that many at the moment). Not to mention that the pain was there before I started writing that day, but just intensified with that movement. I've always done a LOT of writing (let's say I spent more time in university than I really should have) and have never had this sort of problem before.

True. I think on their own, neither writing nor lifting would cause the inflamation/pain you speak of, but together it could cause RSI.

Alternatively, you could be increasing the weights too quickly for your tendons and ligament to handle. Try backing off for a couple of weeks.

Jonathan

Well hopefully it was just a one time thing. I will be giving it at least a week off, since I'm going away on vacation and don't plan on doing any weights while I am there (no access to a gym, for starters!). I will be doing some kayaking and hiking, and lots of walking around, so the week won't be an entire write-off